Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > L405 juddering when driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jumpin mouse

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba
L405 juddering when driving

My MY2015 4.4SDV8 AB (23,000 miles) has developed what I can only describe as a light juddering, or shaking when driving at speeds of about 55mph plus, more obvious at about 65mph or higher. You feel this more through the car than the steering wheel and only at certain speeds, easier to notice it on a motorway. Local LR dealer have agreed on a test drive that something isn't right but they gave me the vehicle back yesterday saying they thought they had fixed it by swapping front and back wheels. Apparently, running the car on the ramp showed no ovality in a tyre and everything else seems OK.

It's driving me mad and looks like to needs to go in again but can someone please suggest things to try to find the source of this shaking?

Post #462432 28th Dec 2017 11:44am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Worn tyres can sometimes cause this, especially when rotated around the vehicle so that the wear pattern established on one side runs a bit lopsided on the other. Getting the wheels rebalanced might help. Some road surfaces are worse than others for setting this sort of thing off, and tyres with big blocks of tread (e.g. MT/Rs) are worse for uneven wear across the block (called 'cupping' I think). If it is just due to the wheels being rotated it might go away by itself as the wear patterns bed in in the new locations. Better to get it sorted though, the vibration won't do the car, or your peace of mind, any good.

If it's not that see if the tracking is right, after that it might be a case of checking the steering components. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #462456 28th Dec 2017 2:03pm
jumpin mouse

Thanks CS, these are all good suggestions.

To clarify, I swear I had no issues until the car was serviced by the MD in early October and during the service they swapped front wheels with back. All tyres are the same, Continental Cross contact Silent, 22" on Style 7 turbines. Original tyres have about 6 to 7 mm tread but I bought two new tyres last summer that have over 7mm.

Post #462457 28th Dec 2017 2:06pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

If the problem first surfaced after the dealer moved the wheels on to different hubs, that might not have been helpful. When my dealer took my summer wheels off I noted that they chalked the sidewalls of the tyres to say where they had been e.g. OSF etc.(admittedly a 322 but maybe still relevant). If you look at www.ownerinfo.landrover.com and click on the 405 and then on the 'tyres' section you will find a warning notice (I looked at the MY16 information) under one of the headings saying that tyres should not be rotated. I have not researched this in detail and they did not seem to say "why not". I expect many people do it and suffer no adverse consequences, but one would have thought that franchise dealers should really be following the LR guidance (especially when expressed as a warning notice i.e. safety implications). Maybe front to back on the same side is not "rotation" for these purposes.

If the dealers want to be helpful and have a vehicle with similar wheels/tyres in their stock (which does not shudder) they could take those wheels off and swap them with yours, retaining the same positions on your car as on the donor vehicle and see if it still shudders. If your car does not do it with those wheels, then at least the cause has been identified, and the dealers can suggest what to do with your wheels and tyres to eliminate the problem. Of course if the problem persists with the other wheels then it is back to looking for other causes.

Good luck. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #462493 28th Dec 2017 5:53pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Have u checked all your nuts Very Happy

Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #463123 3rd Jan 2018 10:54am
bembo449

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

the L322 gets a similar shake when the largest of the lower front bushes is failing , certain speeds and steering angles bring it to light

Post #463135 3rd Jan 2018 1:24pm
kensk

United States 

Here is my story posted in US Range Rover forum:

It is about my 2017 RR SC with 21K miles. For about last 2000 miles sometimes I feel the car vibrating just as if one of my wheels was not balanced. They were perfectly balanced recently. Typically, I leave my house for a 10 miles trip and everything is perfect, a very smooth ride. On the way back I feel the car vibrating at speeds above 50 mph. I would stop, turn off the engine let the car lower itself, then start again but no improvement. I took many long trips (1,000 miles) with no problem. One of the last trips driving in town, I got warning 'Adaptive Dynamics Fault', AEB Fault', and Suspension Fault, do not drive over 30 mph' all at the same time. When I drove to the dealer service everything was fine. They looked at the vehicle but could not find anything. Last time when I took it in again, they could not find anything and recommended to install a recall for the Adaptive Dynamics. The intermittent vibrations did not go away. The biggest problem is that when ever I take the car in it works fine and they can not find any problem.

The difference is that juddering happens intermittently, maybe 1 out of 5 trips.

Post #463162 3rd Jan 2018 5:47pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

I had something similar and the red light came on and stop immediately light

Long and short, had changed the tyres, been balanced, but not checked by the computer system as that was another
50 quid...

When balanced aligned with the computer, all went away... apparently the computer in the car assumed the wheels were going one way and the steering wheel was going another and therefore the red light...

Maybe worth rechecking especially if u had a tyre change recently.

Bill

I should add, I took it to the dealer and he couldn’t figure it out as he had reset the cars computer. Took a phone call by the dealer to Range Rover to find out what the problem was Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #463164 3rd Jan 2018 5:53pm
kensk

United States 

Well, nothing found on the vehicle but the vibration/juddering problem is gone. Only smooth ride for last couple of weeks. The only explanation I have is that there was ice on the wheels on the inside of the rims. Not the most convincing explanation but all I could come up with.

Post #465176 19th Jan 2018 9:34pm
jumpin mouse

I'm still struggling with this, it is nothing like wheel balance issues that I have in the past as you feel that through the steering wheel but this is a very mild and irregular shake or judder of the whole vehicle at different speeds on different road surfaces. I partly blame the 22's but does anyone else have any ideas? It's going back to the dealer next week but any pointers could help. I also think I need to drive another 4.4 SDV8 with 22" wheels to compare but it isn't a great ride.

Post #470450 28th Feb 2018 9:36pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Interestingly had something similar with my sons BMW M1 it turned out to be a tyre that was delaminating but also the tyre was moving on the rim new tyres sorted but it was diagnosed first

Post #470453 28th Feb 2018 10:01pm
jumpin mouse

Update on this.

The LR dealer has now diagnosed the fault as being the rear diff requiring replacement. As this is allegedly a "known fault" it could not be approved by the LR Warranty company but has now been approved by LR.

Could I please ask if anyone has come across this known fault before and how did it show itself?

Post #472402 13th Mar 2018 12:10pm
expatmarais

United States 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I posted elsewhere about a similar problem that has been driving me mad.
2017 RR V8 Supercharged. 9000 miles.
At 55 mph + the car can be unstable on the freeway shimmying or drive like a wheel is badly out of balance, in the steering, in the seat, or pull violently to one side, or... drive completely perfectly. You just never know which of the above will occur on my 50 mile daily commute.
Diagnosed as tire flat spots initially, then bent rims, then wheel balance, nothing worked.
I have changed tires, had rims rotated, reshaped, and replaced. Nothing solved it.
Vehicle has been off the road for over 3 months in total. 13trips to dealer.
Most recently the car would not settle on one side and suspension remained stuck in up position on one side.
Initially this was a known fault and it went in for a software update on the adaptive dynamics.
But, I have just received word from my LR dealer that the update didn’t correct the problem, and they have finally managed to reproduce the issue.
3 out of the 4 air suspension modules have shown an electrical fault and dealer says there seems to be a wiring issue.
They have told me to expect to be without the car for a while and at this time have not encountered on another vehicle and therefore do not have a solve.
It has been immobilized 10days on this trip so far.
Am in touch with LR North America as pbm has been apparent since week one of ownership. It’s just crazy.
Pls have your dealer check above. My dealer have now opened a technical file to LR. Current: 2017 RR Supercharged. 5.0 V8.
Previous: 2012 TDV8 Vogue SE Santorini Black

Post #477090 29th Apr 2018 11:41am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

jumpin mouse wrote:
As this is allegedly a "known fault" it could not be approved by the LR Warranty company but has now been approved by LR

One of the most worrying statements you will hear - particularly for anyone out of warranty / no longer servicing with a main dealer

So another ‘known fault’ that doesn’t warrant a recall - just a roll of the dice on whether LR will cough up should it happen Rolling Eyes

Post #477124 29th Apr 2018 5:59pm
expatmarais

United States 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

jumpin mouse wrote:
Update on this.

The LR dealer has now diagnosed the fault as being the rear diff requiring replacement. As this is allegedly a "known fault" it could not be approved by the LR Warranty company but has now been approved by LR.

Could I please ask if anyone has come across this known fault before and how did it show itself?

Hey jumpin mouse, did the rear diff replacement fix your pbm?
Mine has now been back 14 times and just spent 6 wks out of action while they replaced the suspension and adaptive dynamic modules. My symptoms are identical to what you described.
Picked up last night. It was great for 20 miles and then randomly started juddering and the suspension acting up again.
Would be keen to know if your rear diff fixed it as my dealer has not identified that as part of pbm yet.
Thanks. Current: 2017 RR Supercharged. 5.0 V8.
Previous: 2012 TDV8 Vogue SE Santorini Black

Post #479745 31st May 2018 3:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>