Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Problems from a weak battery.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Shouldn’t make a difference to battery testing so long as they tested it at the terminals. Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #471969 10th Mar 2018 4:05pm
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Back from a 600 mile weekend and..drum roll please....NO WARNING LIGHTS! Also I had left the lift gate up for about 15 min while unloading and walking the dogs. Went to disconnect the satnav and saw no lights on. It appears to have found sleep mode again. Tomorrow AM I will check codes to see if the low voltage to headlights fault is gone too. Oh happy day.

Post #472220 12th Mar 2018 4:09am
kgeddes

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

My grandson set off the panic alarm via the handset last night...lights, horn, alarm etc...not sure how long this went on for but when I deactivated the system the FF started no problem, however, when I tried to start it this morning not enough power and all sorts on warning messages showing! Got it going with a jump start and have driven it for over 40 minutes.

Should the panic alarm going off have weakened the battery so much overnight?

Last edited by kgeddes on 12th Mar 2018 9:18pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #472239 12th Mar 2018 10:40am
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Would take only a couple hours to drain with all that going on.

Post #472299 12th Mar 2018 9:04pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I replace my battery every two years (use the ones that come off on the boat ) and last summer changed the wiring loom - starter battery Alternator - more as a precaution because the car is 10 years old also changed all the pulleys belts and tensioners with the alternator(all were still working ) better safe than sorry

Post #472467 13th Mar 2018 7:11pm
kgeddes

The more I read about these issues, the more what you do makes sense Sandyt Thumbs Up

Post #472495 13th Mar 2018 9:17pm
bgennette

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black

kgeddes wrote:
<cut>

Should the panic alarm going off have weakened the battery so much overnight?

Yep. Anything that puts a slightly more-than-designed-for load will pull the battery down A LOT.

My experiences -
* When I bought the L320 RR it had a smallish 60Ah battery fitted. This just died after 2 weeks (I guess the car dealer continually charged it to make up for its (too) small capacity).
* I bought an N70xxx replacement - 95Ah, 810 Cold Cranking Amps, Calcium chemistry for lower self discharge rate (also matches alternator regulator nominal 14.5V charge output). Range Rover specifies 720 to 850 CCA with total capacity of 90 to 110Ah, so this is right in the middle. AND nothing worked properly. Something was causing an extra load.
* It turned out to be a combination of 2 things, modern cordless phone frequencies were locking and unlocking the vehicle at random times and the air suspension pump was running a lot to make up for small leaks in 6 year old air bags.

Parking the car inside a steel garage shielded the key-less locking system adequately.
2 new front struts and air bags reduced the amount of compressor running time.
This gave a good improvement, but the battery was still being pulled too low to crank when left for more than 3 days.

Next I cleaned and re-lubricated the control valves in the [non-user-serviceable] air suspension manifold (http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic43028.html) and there have been no further battery problems.

So yes, I can see that the alarm sounding for a while will easily kill a L322 battery.

I'm in nice warm, coastal Australia where 95Ah & 810 CCA does fine, but for UK or northern USA I think 110Ah & 850 CCA would be a sensible minimum. With the bonnet in service-position there is plenty of access to fit a very large battery and the long leads allow for right of left positive terminal location (or even fitting 2 x 6V golf cart batteries).

bye. 2003 TD6, EGR delete, vortex crankcase breather update, performance chip, UHF 2 way, Android head unit, crash camera on dash, always-on rear view camera to mirror screen, LED DRL`s, Electric trailer brake controller. FSR replaced. Pulling 3T caravan all about Australia

Post #472661 15th Mar 2018 2:06am
kgeddes

Thank you for that Thumbs Up

I got it started with a jump no problem and it’s been fine ever since Very Happy

Post #472662 15th Mar 2018 2:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12