Home > Technical (L322) > Limp Mode - Manifold pressure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
gilesharrison

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Limp Mode - Manifold pressure

Good evening.

I'd greatly appreciate advice on my problem. I'll try and keep this as concise as possible.

Car is a 2008 TDV8 L322, 115k miles. Generally drives well although there is a whistle between 2500-3000 rpm when under load (not when revving in neutral). The car doesn't lack power and it doesn't smoke at all.

I am getting an intermittent 'Engine System Fault' which puts the car in to limp mode. It only occurs when pulling hard up hill. It can go days without doing this but can dim,it repeatedly. Restarting the car clears the limp mode.

My IID reveals this:
PCM-Engine TDV8

P023D-22 (2Cool Manifold absolute pressure - turbocharger/supercharger boost sensor A correlation - General signal failure - signal amplitude>maximum

So far, ive done the following:
- checked the two upper intercooler hoses for splits. Both fine.
- cleaned both MAP sensors and both MAF sensors. All fairly clean anyway.
- checked the turbo actuators in both sides, WD40 them 3-in-1. Both move freely and through the full range of movement.

The problem is continuing just the same so I went for a drive and logged the MAP pressures and turbo actuator values. Here is a graph.

I know the data is hard to see on this graph, also, the scales for the two MAP sensors are different. Going through the data, the highest MAP value for the purple line is 194kpa. The biggest difference between the two MAP values is 6kpa.

Any ideas or suggestions as to other things I should check? I am aware this may be a failing turbo....

Many thanks,

Post #490345 29th Sep 2018 7:31pm
chefkenmore

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Sounds very similar to my car! Mike Park MMP, did a smoke test on mine, revealing a hair line crack on the inlet manifold!
Replaced both manifolds, job done Thumbs Up 2007 VOGUE SE 3.6 TDV8

Post #490392 30th Sep 2018 9:07am
gilesharrison

Thanks for the reply.

I had read a post about the plastic inlet manifold cracking. I'll try and have a good look at that today. Not sure if any crack will be visible but I'll have a go. I'm also going to look at the lower intercooler hoses which I haven't checked yet.

Forgot to mention - both egr valves appear to be working correctly as themrequested values match the actual values, according to the wonderful IID.

Post #490396 30th Sep 2018 9:24am
gilesharrison

I've been reading more about the split inlet manifolds on these engines.

Do these cracks ever cause the whistle noise I am getting. It's only under higher load/ high revs. The turbo is quite under normal 'light' loads.

Thanks again.

Post #490414 30th Sep 2018 12:59pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Have you checked they rest of the hoses?

There are more at the bottom and some short ones by the turbos. Which are a bit of a pain to get at. Don’t regularly fail but it’s not unheard of. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #490465 30th Sep 2018 9:26pm
gilesharrison

Thanks for the help.

I've checked the lower hoses tonight - all are fine.

I've had a look at the plastic trunking unit over the top of the engine. There's no obvious cracks but it is a very complicated shape Andy hard to see.

Can't see much of the inlet manifolds and they are under the metal covers/ guards. What's the best way to assess further? Take it somewhere for a smoke/ pressure test?

Post #490597 1st Oct 2018 8:51pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

If it’s reading the wrong pressure, can you read the resistance of the MAP sensors at the sensor with a multi meter. Not sure if or what they will read, but if they do then obviously they should read the same.

Edit Have a google how to test them, I think they are voltage sensors rather than resistance sensors, There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #490598 1st Oct 2018 8:56pm
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

gilesharrison wrote:

Can't see much of the inlet manifolds and they are under the metal covers/ guards. What's the best way to assess further? Take it somewhere for a smoke/ pressure test?

If there is no obvious splits in the hoses from Turbo to Intercooler and Intercooler to Throttle body then I would recommend a smoke test, a pressure test will say if you have a boost leak but a smoke test should help you identify where any leak is.

Post #490605 1st Oct 2018 9:52pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Split manifolds will cause oily soot on nearby parts so look for tell-tale signs.

Post #490626 2nd Oct 2018 1:09am
Nick591

United Kingdom 

My car is almost identjcal age and mileage and has the same engine system fault and code. In my case it happens usually with steady relatively gentle acceleration. If I keep feathering the throttle and therefore don't give the car an opportunity to detect a steady state imbalance it is possible to avoid it most of the time but it still happens anyway. The code indicates the problem is with the drivers side bank of cylinders. No splits in hoses that I can detect and a smoke test didnt reveal any leaks on the high pressure side. The manual suggests either map sensor fault or turbo fault. Have just replaced map sensor that side but it still happens unfortunately. LR dealers apparently can test the turbo actuation by driving it using pwm input and noting the corresponding position. If not a smooth curve the manual says replace the turbo which is a big expensive job. It is spoiling my enjoyment of the car. I am about to take delivery of iid tool so I can be more self sufficient but I will watch this thread with interest to see if you can solve it. One other thing I have noticed is that when the car seems to be inclined to play up the engine rpm can sometimes osscilate between about 1500 and 2500 rpm when setting off from standstill as if the feedback loop between the map sensor and turbo boost setting is not working correctly. A while ago I put dielectric contact grease on the map sensor connector pin sockets and it ran perfectly for several weeks. Perplexing. Previously a 2008MY Tonga Green Vogue SE 3.6 TDV8

Post #490742 2nd Oct 2018 9:30pm
Nick591

United Kingdom 

. Previously a 2008MY Tonga Green Vogue SE 3.6 TDV8

Post #490743 2nd Oct 2018 9:41pm
gilesharrison

Thanks for the ply Nick.

My fault seems to be similar to yours in that it occurs when at a steady throttle input. It always occurs up the same hill which is a long straight road.

I have checked around the inlet manifolds and I can't see any leaks but it's difficult to tell.

I'm might try swapping the MAP sensors over to see if the fault changes sides.

do you have any noises? Whistles?

Post #490770 3rd Oct 2018 7:24am
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Mine did this for 6 months, tried everything as above, no change. Eventually it started smoking under load and then on Monday - BANG! Lunched turbo ........

Swapping the MAPS still gave the same code for me - indicating it really did mean there was a turbo fault, but of course it can also give that code for a split hose/dodgy sensor, leak etc. Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #490784 3rd Oct 2018 9:48am
gilesharrison

I know I'm clutching at straws and trying to avoid the fact that I'm going to need new turbos but I'll try swapping the MAP sensors over and see if it makes any difference.

Then it'll be off the the garage for smoke test/ diagnosis/ big bill.

Post #490821 3rd Oct 2018 4:11pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

My big bill = a 2009 Westminster which I am picking up later today ..... Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #490823 3rd Oct 2018 4:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>