Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Lower arm replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Ok thanks MikeO

Seen Edd China just bash them with two hammers, one each side to shock it out... I'm guessing that won't do it.

Wanting to preserve the boot, anyone else have a view on this?

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #530135 5th Oct 2019 10:20pm
GGDR

Just tried to do this arm today but found breaking the taper with this separator

...isn't possible without removing the calliper which a) I'm too lazy to remove and b) needs a multi-point socket which I don't have

Plus I think this might damage the rubber of the cassette ball joint which I'm not changing.

I now know there isn't really much bashing room to try a lump hammer removal technique.

So I want to get a puller - well a pusher really - something that will push up on the nut underneath while hooked onto the arm.

Quite a bit of work for a part that is help in by two bolts. How hard could that be? Rolling with laughter

Any tips for a pushing tool?

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post #537514 15th Dec 2019 4:39pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Big hammer....

You will knacker the rubber however you get it out, so plan to replace the cassette ball joint, which is honestly the pig bit of the job.

I ended up just smashing at it until it came off then drilling out the cassette joint. If the big bush on the top end has failed then the bottom ball joint is likely to be pretty much past it unless you have had them done.

Snapped the prongs on a separator getting them to split. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #537515 15th Dec 2019 4:51pm
GGDR

Looking at these

The black pin pushes up on the ball joint's bolt (+nut on) while the forks hook onto the arm then pull against the arm but not the rubber - if I am thinking correctly.. Like this:

Cheers, Greg

Post #537530 15th Dec 2019 5:30pm
northernmonkeyjones

Worth a try, there’s not a lot of space between the rubber and the arm but they look quite slim. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #537544 15th Dec 2019 6:37pm
GGDR

Bought this and it did work perfectly.

If anyone wants to just do the arm and leave the cassette ball joint then go for this type of tool:
I hooked it on the arm facing down, the wide claws well away from the rubber boot on the topside, wound up at the nut and with a swift belt from a hammer, the taper popped. No fuss and super quick. As with most jobs, it's all about the right tools.

I thought I'd leave the nut on the bottom for stability and thread protection but turned out to be a schoolboy error as the ball just spun and spun trying to get the nut off. No biggie, returning a bit of pressure from underneath with a jack was enough to wind the nut fully off.

Since I had a go at this already, the WD40 sprayed last week paid off and the bolts otherwise came off easy.

bgennette's comments about a block and tackle got me thinking I'd struggle, the hub does indeed pull away by an inch and you need to get it back to re-insert the bolt but actually with a jack stand and turning the steering to the opposite lock I got the holes lined up pretty nicely without any hub pulling or jacking.

Setting the hub centre height to torque it to correct tension is indeed a bit of a phaff, at least for me - I'm working on the street but managed it. I'd suggest setting height to 'normal' before you start as I had it in extend mode for access but I had to adjust it up and down but the car kept detecting the axle stands thinking it was grounded and raised it even higher.

bgennette's comments about trimming the arch liner were spot on and helped. Thanks Mark too.

Only got one side done today as limited time during pre-christmas madness but the other side will be definitely quicker now I've done one. Most things are quicker the second time right?

I wasn't planning to replace cassette ball joint as I had a really good multi-directional pull & push with a bar before I planned this job - and thankfully the cassette ball joint felt good and smooth with the arm off it. But the old rubber bush in the arm was certainly shot:

Click image to enlarge

It's a weird suspension link if you ask me, the centre spindle is clamped in and not designed to rotate, leaving the rubber to spokes to stretch and flex thought the long suspension travel. Not sure what benefits this set up has vs a more usual rubber bush that allows normal rotation.

One question for the panel, why do you torque a nut then add a quarter turn?
Why not just torque it to a higher Nm ?

. Cheers, Greg

Post #538247 22nd Dec 2019 7:02pm
northernmonkeyjones

Yep, that looks scoobied...... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #538258 22nd Dec 2019 9:25pm
Goldstar

2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks to all the previous contributors logging their experience I was able to do this job in 20 minutes today. Didn't need to take the caliper off. I loosened the arm at the bush end (21mm spanner as previously mentioned by others) and then the nut at the top of the ball joint (also 21mm) I then took my FBH and gave the ball joint housing a few (about a dozen) whacks and the taper went pop.

Undid the height sensor, took the bolt out of the bush end and then the nut on the ball joint. Replaced arm and tightened everything up.

Def worth a try if you don't want the effort of removing caliper, moving dust shield and having to get a long ball joint splitter fork. You can be quite mediaeval with the hub with the hammer where the ball joint goes through it. I turned the steering fully left to help access. Dec 2021- 2010 Facelift TDV8 4.4 AB in Stornoway Grey.

Post #649960 6th Dec 2022 9:12am
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Goldstar, did you remember to tighten the suspension arm nuts with the weight of the car on it's wheels?

Post #649963 6th Dec 2022 10:11am
Goldstar

Good question. Belt and braces - I jacked the hub up to the correct height and tightened there first then checked the nut again after a test drive. Dec 2021- 2010 Facelift TDV8 4.4 AB in Stornoway Grey.

Post #649966 6th Dec 2022 10:40am
Goldstar

I probably ought to anyway as I don’t know when it was last done but do I “need” a tracking check after changing this arm?

Thanks Dec 2021- 2010 Facelift TDV8 4.4 AB in Stornoway Grey.

Post #650051 6th Dec 2022 10:58pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

As there is no adjustment points on it, then no. In practice, the bushes will be tighter so could pull everything in a bit. Think of how much an unevenly worn tyre will cost to replace vs. the cost of a wheel alignment
I've just replaced all the tyres on mine, along with a height calibration, a wheel alignment makes sense given the extra rubber between the wheel centre and the road.
Admittedly, it didn't cost me anything other than using a 0.5 days holiday that was rapidly expiring, I would recommend having both the height & geometry checked when tyres are replaced - if for no other reason than checking for worn suspension components that will cause uneven tyre wear.

Post #650054 6th Dec 2022 11:30pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

My track rods had to be turned in a total of one turn to bring the wheels back in line after changing my lower arms so I would if I were you.

Post #650056 6th Dec 2022 11:54pm
Goldstar

Booked in for Friday. Thanks chaps Dec 2021- 2010 Facelift TDV8 4.4 AB in Stornoway Grey.

Post #650061 7th Dec 2022 7:30am
bgennette

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black
To answer this question from DDGR -

One question for the panel, why do you torque a nut then add a quarter turn?
Why not just torque it to a higher Nm ?

The bolts are single use with 'over stretching' providing extra thread locking in assemblies subject to constant vibration under heavy loading.

Tightening to the specified torque stretches the bolt past its 'elastic limit' (under which it would return to its starting length if undone - elastic behaviour). Adding a quarter turn puts a known amount of extra, non-elastic 'plastic' stretch into the bolt, plus the full elastic stretch pressure; the bolt can NOT rattle loose.

The metal's elastic behaviour is greatly altered by the plastic stretching, with a new and much lower elastic limit value and it should not be re-used after undoing from its plastically deformed fastening. But people are people and temporary fixes may need to be applied in remote areas, so the engineers who designed the bolt specifications calculated in enough 'second elastic limit' to allow 2 'safe' uses. But the torque value for the extra quarter turn are greatly different for each final tightening. Rather than confuse auto mechanics with first and second use torque values the 'extra quarter turn' directive is applied.

Whenever you see 'single use' or 'extra quarter turn' believe it. It means pre-tension to ~half the first stretch torque until final tightening (this allows for loosening and re-adjusting while still below the second elastic limit) then only fully tighten when all is aligned. Never trust that the bolt has not been used twice - ALWAYS fit new 'single use' bolts.

[Prior to retirement I was a metallurgist, so just to repeat the message with added authority - Never trust that the bolt has not been used twice - ALWAYS fit new 'single use' bolts.]

bye. 2003 TD6, EGR delete, vortex crankcase breather update, performance chip, UHF 2 way, Android head unit, crash camera on dash, always-on rear view camera to mirror screen, LED DRL`s, Electric trailer brake controller. FSR replaced. Pulling 3T caravan all about Australia

Last edited by bgennette on 9th Dec 2022 1:31am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #650217 8th Dec 2022 10:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>