Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > results of new suspension parts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dexion7

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alaska White
results of new suspension parts

well, since my recent post on another thread at which point I'd replaced both RH front arms and managed to wreck the ball joint boot whilst working on them, the car has gone a local indy who has fitted all remaining bits. it was getting too cold and wet to manage this myself on the drive.

the original problem was a pronounced clonk on RH front and general undamped mild vibrations. anyway, with 98k miles i figured most parts were likely worn anyway so i decided to replace:

front
inner and out track arms
both suspension arms
ball joints
anti roll bar links

rear
upper and lower hub bushes
anti roll bar links
toe links

+ complete set of new nuts and bolts

the RF clonk was cured by replacing the arms and the drop link. the arm with the ball joint in had 3-4mm movement in the ball joint, and the other arm's rubber had almost parted company with it's shell.

total cost was about £350 for parts and £1100 inc vat for fitting which included a 4 wheel alignment.

car drives generally much better and the undamped vibration cured. it has however, now got a mild clonk LF corner when the suspension is unloaded. i can usually predict if an immininent pothole will result in a clonk. a smooth sleeping policeman is ok but an 'angled' one e.g. 3 flat sides (up, horizontal, down) will cause the clonk. also, potholes result in clonk and so does reversing off my drive at a tight angle.

took it back to indy who heard the noise when we did a road test together and thought it might be in the shocker but that corner was silent before the car went in for them to fit the parts.

any thoughts?

Post #496298 22nd Nov 2018 5:34pm
kbald

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Did they reuse the washer on the upper ball joint of the anti roll bar links as apparently without this can cause a clunk. Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #496299 22nd Nov 2018 5:37pm
dexion7

good point. they took the car back in and checked everything so i assume they got it right. i will check it next dry day.

Post #496344 23rd Nov 2018 12:01am
kbald

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Another thought could be something catching the brake disc shield if its at a weird angle when it happens if thats been disturbed when replacing the parts as well. Or a nut just isnt tight enough on that side. Hope you get to the bottom of it as its a real pain and seems some people spend years chasing down a clunk! Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #496347 23rd Nov 2018 7:49am
dexion7

very annoying considering it DIDNT clonk on that side when i took it in still wearing the old parts and it DID clonk when i got it back fitted with the new ones!

Post #496370 23rd Nov 2018 1:05pm
dexion7

so, the indy got the car back and, given that thye'd just fitted all new bushes on both sides decided it must be the strut so tried a new strut - still clonked.

swapped out both the new bottom arms - still clonked.

swapped out bottom ball joint - fixed!

he gave me back the new ball joint which i had supplied originally and the ball is loose.....

now drives perfectly.

avoid Moog ball joints :censored

Post #498971 17th Dec 2018 11:00pm
S.Hafsmo

Norway 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

Moog's had a steep decline in the quality of their parts.
I recently replaced all ball joints on my old Durango, and received one Mexican and one US-made sway bar end link.
The US-made was by far inferior to the Mexican one. No surface treatment (Paint), ball joint (With grease nipple) incorrectly angled to the arm, cheap polyurethan bushes instead of proper rubber, poor welds etc..
Seems to me that the Americans think "Made in USA" is such a quality stamp that Moog had to reduce quality to bring Production home without increasing the price. 2007 L322 3.6 TDV8 Stornoway

Post #498981 18th Dec 2018 6:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1