Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Headlight height adjustment stuck!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pazuzu

United Kingdom 
Headlight height adjustment stuck!

Hi chaps,

Second day, first problem Smile

It's the first time I've driven it in the dark and it quickly became apparent that the dip beam is WAY high.

Had a look when I got home and when you switch the headlights on the nearside cycles all the way down and back up but the offside stays at the top height and sounds like it's stuck.

I tried to take the headlight out to check the adjustment mechanism and lube it up but after taking out the top 2 bolts it seemed that there was something at the bottom holding it that I couldn't find and I didn't want to force the issue.

I've manually adjusted them down as a temporary fix but the noise stays on as though it's trying to complete it's test cycle which is obviously not ideal!

Can someone let me know what I'm missing - a search hasn't turned up much yet.

Thanks!

Phil

Post #3474 6th Mar 2009 10:08pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

if you haven't already try downloading the RAVE L322 workshop manual. This should detail how to dismantle the headlight and adjuster.

Someone here posted a link to one recently.

I found this on rangerovers.net too:

The RR III has a motor-driven mechanism that changes headlight alignment according to vehicle height and trim. headlight leveling ECU. On 2003 models up to VIN 3A117631 the ECU software was faulty and caused strange headlight movements. For example, Philippe Geerts of Belgium got his new Range Rover in May 2002. He had a problem with the adjustment of the xenon lights; when he switched them on, the left light aimed too high. A simple adjustment by the dealer fixed it. Joe Gormley first reported the software fix for this problem, which he said became available in Nov 2002. Simon Davies of Surrey also experienced dipped headlamp alignment problems, particularly the L/H unit.

Richard Siegler reports the same problem on his 2004, even after the dealer attributed it to a computer problem and allegedly adjusted them. The latest service bulletin on this issue (SB104, June 11 2004) attributes it to calibration problems, with symptoms including the headlamps performing "reference" movements to different positions at turn-on, or perform slow movements out of alignment. It specifies the full calibration procedure which has to be carried out using the Testbook/T4 or equivalent. This was adopted as a service campaign on the affected vehicles. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #3485 7th Mar 2009 12:28pm
Pazuzu

United Kingdom 

Got the manual and it shows exploded diagrams of the parts but no 'how to' in terms of removing them unfortunately.

I'll have another look in the daylight but there is definitely something holding the bottom of the light in, be it a clip or a screw/bolt.

I'm fairly sure it's not the ecu as the nearside works fine and the offside definitely sounds stuck! I hope it's not the ecu anyway.

Cheers,

Phil

Post #3489 7th Mar 2009 1:23pm
JOKER

Scotland 

TRY THIS - GOT IT FROM ANOTHER SITE

We have seen this problem in our workshop. Ask your local Autologic
or LR to go into Headlamp control and run through faults/actuations/dynamic data and ecu info. If faults will not clear or
specifically no comms, suspect water ingress or h/lamp ecu

they only adjust themselves if you have adaptive headlamps.

The adjustment screw is an allen key on the headlamp, you get to it through a hole in the bonnet slam panel

Post #3491 7th Mar 2009 2:17pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

to remove the headlamp you remove the grill be carefull as the temp sensor is atached to it , remove the 2 top bolts and the 1 on the inside edge hidden by the grille , remove the big plug at the rear and gently wriggle out it worked for me Thumbs Up Thumbs Up onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #3493 7th Mar 2009 3:15pm
Pazuzu

United Kingdom 

speedymarktd6 wrote:
to remove the headlamp you remove the grill be carefull as the temp sensor is atached to it , remove the 2 top bolts and the 1 on the inside edge hidden by the grille , remove the big plug at the rear and gently wriggle out it worked for me Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Aha, I'd removed the grill but hadn't seen the extra bolt.

I'll have another go in a minute.

Cheers!

Phil Thumbs Up

Post #3498 7th Mar 2009 4:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1