Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Superpro Bushes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ajmngn

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black
Superpro Bushes

A potentially controversial topic…

I’m interested to hear from anyone who has direct experience of installing Superpro bushes on their L322 (or other air sprung LR models such as D3/4, RRS, P38).

Please note: Superpro bushes are not the same (material or construction) as what I loosely term ‘polybushes’. Yes, I know many people have spoken on here on numerous threads about polybushes (Polybush, Powerflex, other brands are available) and I agree - their use is sub-optimal on the L322 and I agree that users should proceed with caution if they consider using them. I do not intend this thread to turn into yet another conversation about an already well-discussed topic, so if you’d like to tell all about the negatives of polybushes, please note that there are other threads out there for you.

I would like to garner experience and evidence-based commentary specifically on Superpro, as I think that their different material and construction methods (which are arguably superior to polybushes) have the potential to offer significant benefits to our beloved vehicles, in comfort, precise handling and longevity.

The Superpro range for L322s includes the front arms, rear arms, and ARBs. I’m very tempted to give them a go as and when it’s time to change my own bushes out. I’ve seen and heard a few positive experiences from D3 and RRS owners (none negative), but there seems to be a glut of ‘reviews’ out there from LR owners like us.

Extremely grateful for your views… Andy

2010 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE in Santorini Black with Ivory interior
2017 Audi SQ5 3.0 V6T Quattro in Volcano Red
2001 Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI manual with low-range in Highland Green. Currently SORN whilst undergoing some serious restoration!

Post #646627 27th Oct 2022 1:31pm
Ajmngn

If you’d like to do a bit of education and understand the differences between Superpro and other polybushes, this is probably the best video that I have found out there. 25 mins long, but really does cover a lot of ground and very useful info

Andy

2001 Audi Allroad 2.5 TDI manual with low-range in Highland Green. Currently SORN whilst undergoing some serious restoration!

Post #646628 27th Oct 2022 1:41pm
Mikey

Scotland 

Fitted them to my own D3, and a family members D3

Both drive fantastic, the latter having been done nearly 6 years ago, and not had to replace a suspension bush since Thumbs Up

Post #646655 27th Oct 2022 7:57pm
Ajmngn

Mikey, noting your legendary status in this community, that’s a HUGE endorsement and confidence inspiring to give it a go myself!

I’d hope that they tighten up my handling but without transferring the same harshness being reported by polybush users. Is that a fair expectation? Andy

Post #646656 27th Oct 2022 8:33pm
harleyman

Spain 

Very interesting info Andy,

What they say in the video is very comprehensive

i think I will give then a try 2012 Range Rover 4.4 tdv8 Autobiography

Post #646674 28th Oct 2022 7:34am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Fitting standard bushes to front upper and lower control arms and rear toe arms 'tightened up handling' significantly on mine but has made the ride harsher. One advantage of all of these aftermarket bush designs is that they are easier to fit that stock as they don't need pressing in with special tools. I've fitted polly bushes to other cars for this reason alone. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #646684 28th Oct 2022 8:54am
Mikey

Scotland 

Ajmngn wrote:
Mikey, noting your legendary status in this community, that’s a HUGE endorsement and confidence inspiring to give it a go myself!

I’d hope that they tighten up my handling but without transferring the same harshness being reported by polybush users. Is that a fair expectation?

I cant compare handling, as I went from standard ARB's to Active Roll Control (Hydraulic ARBs), various RRS suspension arms, RRS front struts and D4 rears, as well as a full set of Superpros
So it handles nothing like a Disco anymore Laughing

It is, however, much more fun to throw around and surprises quite a few people unable to pull away from a small house Rolling with laughter

Post #646736 28th Oct 2022 8:34pm
Ajmngn

So, about a year on from my original post I have finally fitted Superpro bushes to my front lower arms.

My truck is due it’s MOT and I knew the front bushes and ball joints would likely be an advisory as a minimum, so have been gathering up the parts and waiting for the right opportunity to get it done.

I bought a full set of Superpro bushes for all front lower arms, rear upper and lower wishbones, and also front and rear anti-roll bars for £535 (discounted) from a company called ML Performance. The only additional bushes available are for the rear diff in the subframe so didn’t purchase those for the moment.

I’ve only sorted the front arms so far. My plan is to do the rear wishbones as and when I can, and also the ARBs once I’ve worked out how best to get them out and strip off the existing bonded bushes.

To do the fronts, I also bought a full set of Febi Bilstein arms and ball joints from Auto Doc which came to £205 inc delivery, which I thought was good value.

Click image to enlarge

I used a cheap bearing press tool to get the bushes out of the new arms and get the Superpro ones in. It was quite fiddly as some of the sleeves weren’t deep enough to pull the existing bush free from the arm and I also found it hard to keep the tool ‘straight through’ so as to apply even pressure when tightening
Click image to enlarge

It took a few hours to remove the rubber bushes and insert the Superpro ones, but I got it done. Anyway, here’s what they look like when fitted:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The worst bit was getting the old ball joints out of the hub. It was an absolute pig of a job and one I don’t ever want to do again. However, with the right tools and a decent jack, getting the arms swapped out was pretty easy and yes, I did use fresh bolts to secure the arms to the front subframe. It was also easy to tighten them up to spec without the faff of having to have the wheel at the correct ride height due to the nature of the Superpro bush construction meaning no unnecessary strain like on the rubber ones.

Anyway, I am happy to report that the difference in handling is night and day. However, I can’t tell how much of this is down to Superpro vs rubber as the old rubber was very old and the ball joints that came off were completely shot. I can also confirm that I can barely tell the difference in NVH. I’m sure it is more than when using rubber, but I really don’t care if it is. My truck is on 55 profile tyres and air ride so, I’d rather have sharper handling and negligible bush wear over any increased NVH.

Once I’ve managed to get the rear wishbones and the ARBs done I’ll update on here again but just wanted to post this for now.

I may even be the first person on the forum to try Superpro bushes on my L322 as there’s no other posts on here that I can see. Even if I’m not, based on the ease of figment, obvious quality and likely longevity, I also hope I’m not the last!! Andy

Last edited by Ajmngn on 31st Oct 2023 9:22am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #676872 30th Oct 2023 9:06pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Great job! How much was the bush set for the front as I guess most people would opt to just reuse their existing arms? 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #676887 31st Oct 2023 8:51am
Ajmngn

I found all the parts from a company called ML Performance. All the parts were being offered at a discount when I bought this so I’d imagine it would be over £600 if one bought the same at full price. Here’s the order invoice

Click image to enlarge

Two observations:
1. I am sure people would think c.£500 is a lot of money for bushings. I disagree. Stand fast the ARB bushes which are bonded so not normally be changed, the equivalent rubber control arm and wishbone bushes wouldn’t be vastly cheaper and, one would probably go through 2-3 sets before the Superpro bushes started to wear.
2. People might question why I didn’t re-use my original arms. I had to change the front-most arm anyway due to the integrated ball joint and the rear-most arm wasn’t a fortune. It also allowed me to press the new rubber bushes out and replace with Superpro without having the car off the road. Finally, I can sell the new rubber bushes on here or on eBay to recoup some of my original outlay. Andy

Post #676890 31st Oct 2023 9:08am
TDV8_Tommy

Spain 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Baltic Blue

Great post, thank you for sharing Thumbs Up

Fitted new front arms and lower balljoint to the driver's side last weekend...my god, what a job.

The drive is already much improved, I am just mentally preparing myself for the passenger side!

If I could get black Superpro bushes for next time I would definitely consider it. Anything not black or standard-looking would result in an ITV (MOT) failure here. 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Baltic Blue, Jet interior
1997 P38 2.5 DSE auto & 1998 P38 2.5 DT Manual
1988 Vogue 3.5 EFI - Manual, gone.
2004 Volvo C70 2.0T convertible, had since new.
2007 Mazda MX-5 2.0 Sport Roadster/Coupé, had since new.
2024 Mini Cooper S cabrio, JCW kit, 2.0, DCT auto

Post #676912 31st Oct 2023 12:41pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Some time ago I fitted for a very short time a 2-piece poly bush with a centre tube set (Powerflex) that I found unacceptably harsh on any surface that wasn't very smooth.

Are those bushes single piece or an outer shell with 2 half bushes and a centre tube? I'd be prepared to try just another brand hoping that the compound might be more pliable.

Mine's standard Lemforder bushes last barely 12 months, with the gap to the braking block widening very soon after fitment . A recent wheel alignment with already a gap causes lots of toe-out when braking, particularly noticible on long, downhill braking which causes the AT tyres to hum as the tread blocks scruff. I would dearly like to fit full-section bushes.

Post #676948 31st Oct 2023 9:19pm
Ajmngn

Graeme, they are single piece bushes with a separate outer sleeve a centre tube.

One benefit is that the bush is not bonded to the outer sleeve meaning that they can freely articulate without damaging the bush. I was looking at fitting either an X-lifter or an easy lift by Land Rover Passion, so liked the idea that I could run the truck at a lowered or raised height permanently without putting the bushes under undue strain. https://www.easylift-eas.com/

For example, if I wanted to run the vehicle with a 20mm drop on highways (lower CoG at speed and slightly more aero) then I would be able to do this without the bushes having to be installed and bolts tightened at a non-standard height if that was my ‘go to’ height for most uses.

As I said further up the thread, I doubt the NVH is as low as rubber, but the Superpro website is adamant that the construction is different from ‘polybushes’ and without direct experience of the latter, I suspect that Superpro is somewhere in between. Either way, I’ve done a few hundred miles on them since the weekend and am really impressed so can’t wait to get the rear ones fitted soon! Andy

Post #677028 1st Nov 2023 7:19pm
GraemeS

Thanks Ajmngn.

Post #677038 1st Nov 2023 9:14pm
GraemeS

SuperPro advised that the compound in these bushes is 80 Duro. Their range is 70, 80, 90 and 95 Duro.

PowerFlex have advised that their black compound which is their hardest is normally reserved for track use and definitely unsuitable for use on gravel roads. This explains my experience with them. PowerFlex are checking with their manufacturer if a softer compound can be used for these bushes.

Post #677131 3rd Nov 2023 8:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>