Home > Technical (L405) > L405 Transfer case - Missing Calibration? P080A-54
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
number76

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black
L405 Transfer case - Missing Calibration? P080A-54

Hi.

Not used my L405 for a year and a half, but got her out the other day and changed the battery's for new ones, but did leave the car with no battery for a few days - put new battery's on and fired her up, went for the MOT today and have the Transfer case judder, low speed turning both ways etc, used friends Snap on Modis Edge and checked the TC for codes came back with :

P080A-54 Clutch position is not learnt - Missing Calibration.

I guess as the RR was left for a few days with no battery fitted its lost it somehow?, has anyone else had this?, I will do the double flush again but no point unless i have some kind of calibration for the ECU to go on...as it sounds awful to say the least under there with no calibration at all in there!.

Can the IID tool re-calibrate the Transfer case, i guess its an "extra paid for feature" maybe?.

Or will my friends Snap-on Modis Edge have the function to re-calibrate it?.

Thanks for any help on this one, will be interesting to know if anyone else has had the same thing happen?.

2014 L405 3.0 V6 Autobiography Santorini Black 49k

Post #660797 31st Mar 2023 4:44pm
JCW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Sumatra Black

I had this exact error, albeit on a 4.2 SC, it ended up needing a new locking rear diff actuator motor fitting / calibrating in my case, but the calibration of the transfer box actuator is available in the standard menus of an iid tool Thumbs Up Jonathan

2007 Defender 90 XS Hardtop

Post #660799 31st Mar 2023 4:58pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

You can perform the recalibration using the IID tool out of the box. It's not an extra paid for feature like a software update Thumbs Up Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #660825 1st Apr 2023 3:52am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

There is a bug in the IID routine however. You can easily get around this by switching the engine back on as soon as it shuts off automatically during the procedure.

Pat at GAP is aware of the issue. Kev

2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #660826 1st Apr 2023 3:59am
number76

JCW wrote:
I had this exact error, albeit on a 4.2 SC, it ended up needing a new locking rear diff actuator motor fitting / calibrating in my case, but the calibration of the transfer box actuator is available in the standard menus of an iid tool Thumbs Up

Hi, thanks for the reply back & info too.

Yes, that code can come up too for what you had as you said, with yours having a closed Diff rear locker (P080A).

But my code was stored on the TCCM itself. P080A-52.

Been looking into other scanners and did find that someone else did a recalibration using an Autel 808, so i might have a look down that road and see as all that money for just the RR only (IIDTool) when an Autel would do others etc. I still find it hard to believe that the TCCM "lost" the calibration!. 2014 L405 3.0 V6 Autobiography Santorini Black 49k

Post #660829 1st Apr 2023 9:27am
number76

knwatkins wrote:
You can perform the recalibration using the IID tool out of the box. It's not an extra paid for feature like a software update Thumbs Up

Thanks too for the info, very helpful.

I did search a lot on the IIDTool site and read and read until my eyes hurt, but still could not get a clear answer as to what a "paid for" fast lane option was for in my case?, it said calibration was part of the unit as stock, but really focused on the Air suspension side of that, not into the TC case that i needed to know about, but if it's software update i now understand.

I did speak to an indy and said he can do the re-calibration etc, but not a software update, as LR has put it's online subscription prices up from £1200 to £4k!, and he said it's just not viable anymore for him.

I just want to make sure that if i buy an IID tool or an Autel 808, that i can myself do what an indi could do for me - apart from the "software update" - that as the indi's words were "a temp fix for a wear item to get around that actual problem its causing". He said there was quite a few things to do on the diagnostic side before a software update...

While asking, is there a LR SSD software program you can use say on your Laptop?... 2014 L405 3.0 V6 Autobiography Santorini Black 49k

Post #660830 1st Apr 2023 9:42am
JCW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Sumatra Black

Bear in mind the iid tool can both re-calibrate the transfer case actuator & apply the latest module software update (if needed) that GAP can provide on an ad hoc basis (Fastlane service, £30 I think).

I needed to do this for the rear diff actuator to resolve my issue.

As a suggestion, you could perhaps buy a used iid, use it to resolve this issue, then sell it on for likely the same amount, less the transfer fee which is £25 I think.

Just a thought Thumbs Up Jonathan

2007 Defender 90 XS Hardtop

Post #660831 1st Apr 2023 9:58am
number76

Morning.

That's very true and a good point to mention, so thanks very much or that!.

So, the IID should be able to put back on the missing calibration for a start, then i can do the double flush like i have before, then finish with the software update to make sure its 100%.

I have had a look about for a used IID, also put a wanted ad on here for one. Hopefully someone trusted will reply back.

It would be the best option i think as i do have a small problem with my parking sensors after doing the 2020 conversion the P is just flashing (from memory four times) on the dash screen info. So it's a bad sensor somewhere and the IID would hopefully let me know what's what.

I would like to adjust my air suspension so it sits a little better on normal height.

I would also like to re-set the gearbox - learn.

I did need to tell the BMS that she had new battery's fitted but the Autel did that for me yesterday but would again have been helpful.

So, the RR will have to sit and wait until i have a IID, as i do not want to drive her about with all that juddering and noise from the TC, sounds and feels nasty!, I mean how does the Transfer box know what it's doing with out the calibration to tell it what it should be doing lol!?.

I remember when i had that before but it was only really the "pull away clonk" from the rear i was getting back then, I changed the TC oil only once and it went away...i never used the RR again after that to do the other flush!. I don't want to damage it any more than the 30 miles i did in it yesterday (MOT and back) when it's not necessary at the moment, I still have some of the IYK500010 oil (1.5ltrs left) so will order some more and do the flush again once i can get a IID and put the missing calibration back in!. Also have the oil for the F&R diffs ready to change out at the same time. 2014 L405 3.0 V6 Autobiography Santorini Black 49k

Post #660833 1st Apr 2023 10:27am
Col-in-spain

Spain 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Aintree Green
Transfer case judder

Hi,

I have the same problem with the judder. I did the double flush and I am wondering if I should purchase th IID tool to do the re-calibration. Did you purchase one and did it work or are you still having problems?

Cheers,
Colin.

Post #665903 4th Jun 2023 8:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1