Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Looking to buy my first L405
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Align89

United Kingdom 

thanks all for your input - super helpful.

a lot of cars for sale which I'm enquiring into are missing service history in 2020 and sometimes 2021 as well. They're all saying this is due to covid which might be a fair point!

What's your opinion? Is it unreasonable to dismiss a car because it's missing a service during the pandemic?!

If it's missing a 2020 and/or 2021 service but has a 2022 and 2023 which shows no issues, would this be sufficient for you guys?

Thanks again

Post #675385 12th Oct 2023 11:08am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

We were servicing vehicles all the way through the lockdowns - it may have been a valid reason for the actual lockdown periods but outside of those (i.e. late spring, summer & early autumn 2020) then it was just an excuse to not spend some of the Furlough money...
We were pretty much back to normal workloads in 2021 so again, cost avoidance dressed up as 'Covid' will be the main driver - also, no excuse not to have it serviced as soon as practicable. IMO, higher mileage vehicles would fare better with a missed service due to the lack of likely failed regens causing excessive oil dilution.

Your money, your choice - servicing (and MoT history) is no guarantee of future longevity, find one you're happy with and don't look back.

Post #675393 12th Oct 2023 1:29pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

In my mind, folks who really care about their cars at least service them by the book, anything less is neglect, plenty of vehicles have managed a FSH through Covid, so that’s just an excuse.
FFRR’s are large complex cars, and it’s not so much just the routine annual service work that’s important, it’s the inspection work to preempt future issues that’s equally so.
Also, when it comes to resale value, an identical car with FSH will always fetch more.
Appreciated that conversely, you can use missing SH to barter down the price of course.
Many owners on here myself included, have an interim oil change every 6months to counteract low mileage and dilution. Like Phoenix says, there is no guarantee and a certain amount of luck involved, but there must be a bit of a gambler in all of us on here Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #675396 12th Oct 2023 2:15pm
Align89

United Kingdom 

Thanks both. Yes, I've heard a few people say go in lower if no FSH, but isn't that counter productive? Am I better to avoid a car like that altogether?

Also, would you prefer a car that missed 2019, 2020 and 2021 but only covered 18,000 miles in thsat period and then had service in 2022 and 2023. Or a car that missed 2020 and 2021 but covered 35,000 miles during that period?

I'm aware I'm asking soo any questions so excuse me for this but I'm new to FFRR and more importantly, new to buying a second hand car altogether!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Post #675399 12th Oct 2023 2:23pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Be prepared to travel a long way to find the right car, and don’t rush it.
Given the scenario above, you may as well flip a coin, luck of the draw.
I would want a chunky discount either way, so maybe less miles is better, just as many others will disagree with that thought of course Laughing “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #675401 12th Oct 2023 2:28pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Frankly, neither.
The first one is way too long and will have significantly suffered due to oil dilution.
The second one will (potentially) have had a high soot load in the oil, leading to poor lubrication around the turbo's (and if it's a 3.0l, crank journals too) with that mileage, they've clearly been driving it so should have been able to find time to get one service done - which would be acceptable (to me), missing two with 35k driven is not something I'd want unless the price reflected the risk.

Post #675403 12th Oct 2023 2:32pm
Align89

United Kingdom 

Thank you both.

Yes, I'm absolutely not rushing this and am actually enjoying the hunt and learning so much from this forum! Thanks again and no doubt I'll be back on here asking more questions tonight or tomorrow once I've done some more hunting!

Post #675404 12th Oct 2023 2:35pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the warning! Laughing

Post #675405 12th Oct 2023 2:37pm
Align89

United Kingdom 

Haha! Embarassed

Post #675406 12th Oct 2023 2:39pm
JDGeorgia

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

Align89 wrote:
Thanks both. Yes, I've heard a few people say go in lower if no FSH, but isn't that counter productive? Am I better to avoid a car like that altogether?

Also, would you prefer a car that missed 2019, 2020 and 2021 but only covered 18,000 miles in that period and then had service in 2022 and 2023. Or a car that missed 2020 and 2021 but covered 35,000 miles during that period?

I'm aware I'm asking soo any questions so excuse me for this but I'm new to FFRR and more importantly, new to buying a second hand car altogether!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

I would recommend watching Matt from High Peak Autos on YouTube - ?si=QQv_iIfHyTk9fulQ

He has things in there that I would never think of, but used to buy the L405. Aside from the full service history, General appearance and checking the Car Vertical - CarFax...
Things like 4 matching tires(Dealer had replace 2 and done an alignment - I have Continental all around, but only axle matched in terms of exact tire). The Sirius presets were on 'Easy Listening', The Bass was not turnt up all the way. The equalizer settings hadn't been touched. The memory 1 seat was set for someone 4 feet tall... The tailgate height was set for someone 4' tall... It had both original keys, the loadspace cover was still there... The little bottle of leather cleaner was still in the 'boot'...

Just little things to show that the car had been looked after.

Auction cars over here only have 1 key for some reason... it's annoying. They are often missing bits an pieces inside - like the loadspace cover.
Auction cars - especially in Atlanta - tend to have crappy 'bling' added. The equalizer is set to max bass and it is all blacked out. Giant wheels with no room for 'meats'.

With the choice of buying the Hip Hop edition, or the li'l ol lady edition... I know which was more likely not thrashed... 2006 L322 HSE LUX 4.4NA Jag V8 Buckingham Blue/Ivory - 'Col Reb'
Rolled Yahtzee Aug 2023 222,222Miles
2016 L405 HSE TD6. Santorini Black over Almond. - 'Donna the Diesel'
Only L405 IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE with an L494 Shift Lever Fitted!
97K at purchase Sept of 2023

Post #675421 12th Oct 2023 4:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123