Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > a Wheel alignment and what to do L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Fla

Ireland 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
a Wheel alignment and what to do L322

So when I bought my 4.4 last November the guy I bought it from put new tyres on the front to pass the test and that was great but he didn't align it. I took it home and had a quick alignment done in a place that is not very good at it even though the have all the gear but they were close.

So I took it to my usual guy who is almost an hour away from me and he builds and preps rally cars and has a good eye for this. So after alignment I went to drive home and it was far better, there was no more tyre tearing noise when I go right around roundabouts and the general road noise improved.

Problem is, after alignment, the same thing happened as my Disco 3, the steering wheel is out of line by about 3 degrees. Though this isnt a major issue it is annoying. Its still towing slightly left and Im thinking this is probably down to uneven wear now.

As I dont know anything about the RR steering wheel, is it possible someone removed it and put it on wrong or are these the type of wheel where there is only one way to fit it?

Thanks in advance Current yokes
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #687621 9th Mar 2024 2:06pm
PeteT80

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Best to get a four wheel alignment done at somewhere that uses Hunter equipment.

Post #687623 9th Mar 2024 2:27pm
Ramblin Man

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

I agree with the recommendation for a Hunter alignment. I guess you may have to travel a fair way to find one in Ireland though.

FWIW my steering wheel was also mis-orientated by about 3 degrees and I found it really irritating even though the car was not pulling at all.

I had a Hunter alignment done at GlenRands and it fixed it. TDV8 4.4 2012

Post #687651 9th Mar 2024 9:42pm
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

3 degrees is probably less than 1 spline on the steering column.
It needs re-adjusting at the Track rod ends. Both sides need adjusting the same amount by maybe 2 or 3 flats on the hexagon.
If it was tracked properly, it doesn't need to be tracked again - any reasonable mechanic or DIYer could do it.
Just needs careful thought in which direction to shorten / lengthen each side ! Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #687743 11th Mar 2024 12:20am
Fla

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I've seen that Hunter kit somewhere alright. As I say this guy builds and sets up rally cars and people travel from all over Ireland and possibly even the UK to get work done but I do know that these bigger cars are a pain to align.

For example with my Disco, it was out of whack steering wheel wise, then I replace the lower steering column and after an alignment by this guy it was perfect. So it was basically a bad steering column that threw it out by the few degrees.

I might go back to him for a readjustment and if that fails start googling centres that have the Hunter Kit.

Thanks Current yokes
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #687773 11th Mar 2024 11:10am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Well worth making sure all suspension joints, bushes etc are in good condition before you do a wheel alignment as worn bushes will not keep the same alignment during dynamic conditions ( driving) as during static conditions ( alignments) and you can end up going round in circles esp with regards to off center steering wheels or pulling to one side. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #687777 11th Mar 2024 11:29am
JayGee

Sorry double post 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #687778 11th Mar 2024 11:30am
Fla

Hi Jaydee

All seems well underneath both in driving and on inspection but that doesn't mean something isn't worn somewhere. Problem I have now is I have about 7 plus issues with the car that all need attention but none of them are urgent in the sense that they are annoying more than anything else and I'm trying to get them done one by one

Steering wheel out of alignment
Tyre road noise
damaged condenser/aircon leak
Bluetooth phone connection terrible
2nd key needs programming
Aux belts and tensioners need replacing
Slow start on cold if parked for 2 days unplugged from charger
Brake pulsing

So the thing that annoys me most is tyre noise, steering wheel and brake pulsing. I am going to start ordering parts like alternator, water pump, belts and pulleys, pads and disc all round and have it all together for one big service and try and get as much done in one sitting as possible.

I was hoping a good alignment might sort out some of the road noise and steering wheel. There are no Hunter advertised garages in the southwest so I have contacted the distributor to get some names of garages they supplied to and go from there.

Thanks Current yokes
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #687782 11th Mar 2024 11:55am
JayGee

Any good 4 wheel alignment place will do. Hunter are good but they are not the only ones. What tyres do you have? Brake pulsing can be a sticky piston on the front caliper which can warp a disk.
Treat these cars a running repairs - you never get all the jobs done.... 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #687785 11th Mar 2024 12:54pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

If everything else is fine and the steering wheel is out of aliggnment, which can be annoying, you can reposition it. The initial stage can be a bit of a fiddle to release the mechanism but otherwise straightforward.

Two things to be careful of:
1. Make sure the front wheels are in the straight forward position.

2. Make sure to disconnect tny connections behind the steering wheel. For example, if you have a heated wheel.

Powerful UK have a video on removing the steering wheel:

&list=PL063C3AB14BE6984C&index=25 John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #687789 11th Mar 2024 1:34pm
Fla

@ Jaydee

Oh I know that Ill always be doing some repairs which Im fine with as I bought a car 4k cheaper than asking due to some issues previous owner wasnt savvy about.

Regarding brake callipers, Once I replace the discs and pads with Brembo Ill get the callipers serviced as they are 12 years old now and will definitely need some TLC

@ Weegie

Thanks for that. That was going to be my last resort for sure as it is possible over 12 years that some recall or mechanic messed around with the wheel and put it back on a spline to the left or right. I might try one more alignment or bring it back to my rally man and ask for another tweak on the house.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help Current yokes
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #687794 11th Mar 2024 1:45pm
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

Hi, I'd be wary about just realigning the steering wheel because if it's not been set up correctly wrt the rack itself then the rack will not be central.

Potentially you'll have the car tracking along the road and the steering auto centralising function trying to correct itself in oposition.

Best get it done again properly with the steering wheel centralised. Whoever did it before is a bit of a cowboy because they actually have a tool to clamp the wheel in the central position before they start. Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #687795 11th Mar 2024 1:49pm
Fla

Hi Andy,

To be fair both places that did it are not cowboys but the first was possibly inexperienced and the second may have missed something. From watching these guys do the work, they just fiddle with the wheel the computer tells them to. So if they align say 4 wheels and the computer shows all green and within limits I don't think they are going to mess any more.

My concern is I am now aligning on part worn tyres so will it ever really align. I guess my best option is 4 new Scorpions and an alignment but I don't have 1k spare this month but this is probably the solution that is needed Current yokes
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #687800 11th Mar 2024 2:11pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Be sure to check that it is put in tight tolerance mode if you go for a Hunter alignment. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #687812 11th Mar 2024 6:24pm
Fla

Weegie

You might be onto something there, the system my guy uses is the Snap on 3D unit, its one of the latest I believe. I imagine there are several settings within a car model when you select it so Ill have a look myself this time and see if there is a tight tolerance option. Thanks for the heads up on it Current yokes
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #687844 12th Mar 2024 10:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>