Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Judder and then oil lamp warning!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tj196443

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Judder and then oil lamp warning!

Hi, wondering if anyone can help with the following :

Vogue 3.6 142,000 miles, changed oil on Sunday and all seemed fine. Been checking the levels a couple of times a day all week and seemed to be just below the max mark this morning.
Driving home at about 60mph got a juddering for about 4 seconds and then all seemed fine, rev counter didn't fluctuate and drove the next ten miles home with no issue. As soon as I pulled up at home the oil lamp lit up and when I checked the oil it seemed to be half way down the dipstick so obviously lost oil on the way home. No oil on the driveway at home so seems to have happened all of a sudden.

Would low oil cause the juddering ? I'm going to get under the car tomorrow when I have time to see if one of the sump plugs have come loose, I did tighten them both up on Sunday but the rear one is a pain to get to but I'm sure it was tight enough. Only other thing I can think of is the new filter wasn't seated correctly and the oil has been leaking down the engine onto the undertray and hanging there, will soon know tomorrow when I removed the tray !

any thoughts or anyone had anything similar ?

Cheers in advance

Post #689826 3rd Apr 2024 5:56pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

If the engine was running it won’t have been an oil level warning that came on, it would have been the oil pressure warning light.

I’ve not got a huge amount of experience with the 3.6 but check in the intercooler pipework and the air box for any signs of oil as they do seem to suffer from turbo failure.

If the oil pressure is low then do not run the car as it will do damage. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #689848 3rd Apr 2024 9:16pm
tj196443

Thanks for that, yes it was the oil pressure warning light that came on when I parked up yesterday. Will be checking the car out later this morning when I have time. Seems to be a bit of a coincidence I changed the oil a few days ago and all of a sudden this problem has arisen. Hopefully it’s nothing more serious than the sump plugs are leaking !

Post #689856 4th Apr 2024 5:53am
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Correct oil filter? Fitted correctly? Just thinkin out loud that’s all🤭 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Just one Montesa now, 349 White Wonder
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #689858 4th Apr 2024 7:29am
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I don't know whether the oil filter housing on 3.6 is the same as the 4.4, but if you've just changed your filter try removing the filter and have a look in the housing to see if the drain back valve is still on it's post.

Post #689859 4th Apr 2024 7:30am
tj196443

Thanks for the replies, I’ve just checked the airbox and no sign of any oil. I’m about to check the intercooler pipes but noticed the jubilee clips aren’t opening so that’s the next problem to work around when I’ve had a cuppa.

It is indeed the correct filter, I’m going to take it out and check to see if it was seated correctly when I fitted it. Checked the oil this morning and it looks like it’s half way up which means about 4 to 5 litres are missing and can’t imagine that much is sitting in the engine under tray.

Anyone know if oil going through the turbos would cause the juddering I got yesterday ?

Post #689867 4th Apr 2024 8:41am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

If the engine / turbo's have ingested 5L of oil I think you would have noticed the smoke cloud behind you. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #689869 4th Apr 2024 8:59am
Danb_220_2019

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Fuji White

tj196443 wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I’ve just checked the airbox and no sign of any oil. I’m about to check the intercooler pipes but noticed the jubilee clips aren’t opening so that’s the next problem to work around when I’ve had a cuppa.

It is indeed the correct filter, I’m going to take it out and check to see if it was seated correctly when I fitted it. Checked the oil this morning and it looks like it’s half way up which means about 4 to 5 litres are missing and can’t imagine that much is sitting in the engine under tray.

Anyone know if oil going through the turbos would cause the juddering I got yesterday ?

Halfway up the dipstick does not mean the engine oil level is half of its total capacity, so please don't add 5L of oil to bring it up. 2012 (L322) 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE, Fuji White over Arabica.
Previous V8s: BMW 645Ci, P38 4.6, P38 4.0, Merc CL500
Previous others: Honda x1, Volvo x7, Rover x6, BMW x6, Ford x1, Mercedes x2, Skoda x3, VW x2, Renault x2, Citroen x1, Mazda x3, Nissan x1, Audi x3, Kia x1, Fiat x4, Subaru x3, Austin x2, Triumph x2, Jeep x2, Hyundai x2, Lexus x1, Mitsubishi x1, Saab x2... and some others I've forgotten!

Post #689874 4th Apr 2024 9:51am
tj196443

I think I’ve found the problem, took out the oil filter and I’m afraid I’ve been an idiot ! The oil filter piece at the bottom that sticks out is bent, I haven’t seated the filter correctly and compressed it ! The filter wasn’t dripping in oil as I would have expected but oil had been through it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #689875 4th Apr 2024 9:55am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

This means that the juddering could have been a bearing grabbing due to insufficient oil. Hence the sump should be removed to check and probably replace all the bearings and hopefully the crank journals are OK.

Post #689877 4th Apr 2024 10:08am
Richie N

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Baltic Blue

Where has all the oil gone? Any shiny fragments in the filter?

Tough one to call. I feel your pain.

Post #689890 4th Apr 2024 12:45pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

The difference between max and min on the dipstick is normally around a litre. It should tell you in the handbook to be sure.

Hopefully fitting a new filter and setting the oil level again will see you all good and no damage has been done.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #689904 4th Apr 2024 1:40pm
tj196443

Thanks and fingers crossed youre right David, no shiny bits in the filter I'm glad to say. Will be renewing the filter and topping up the oil on Saturday and take it from there. There was some oil inside the turbo intercooler pipes as seen on the blue rubber glove photo but nothing excessive and had to wipe my fingers all around to pick up what is showing in the photo.

Post #689908 4th Apr 2024 2:03pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

GraemeS wrote:
This means that the juddering could have been a bearing grabbing due to insufficient oil. Hence the sump should be removed to check and probably replace all the bearings and hopefully the crank journals are OK.

Also there wont be any shiny bits in the filter if the oil has bypassed the filter. Safer to drain the oil out completely and inspect, then decide your next move. As GraemeS says, juddering could easily be the start of bearing damage. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #689911 4th Apr 2024 3:11pm
Richie N

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Baltic Blue

I agree, and meant to add that too - drain the oil.

It is a bit odd that the revs didn't fluctuate, which would indicate the engine didn't stall or slow.

Is it a lot of work to remove the sump?

Post #689915 4th Apr 2024 4:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>