Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Smokie TD6?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
AKIS

2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Cairns Blue
Smokie TD6?

Hi to all.I just registered in the site and i would very much appreciate if other owners of td6 can enlight me to the following.Recently i remapped the engine.The problem is that during accelaration there is bit black smoke fm the exhaust which however is noticable fm driver's mirror.Things are getting worse on kickdowns(something like vessel's funnel if you know what i mean).According to information of the LR official workshop,where remapping was done,engine side nothing is wrong.

Is it like this and remapped/tuned cars are getting much more smokie or i have to check further????

Thanks and best regards.[/b]

Post #5134 23rd Apr 2009 4:37pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

i have no experience on remapped vehicles but others on here do , also i find when i do short runs ore low speed use if i accelerate hard using the kickdown i get black smoke which i know is just overfuelling but i will be corrected if im wrong could just be a build up of soot but probably best to get it checked Thumbs Up Thumbs Up onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #5136 23rd Apr 2009 5:07pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Its not supposed to be like that. There are remaps and remaps. Some cheap engine tuners just alter the fuel system and all this does is dump excess fuel into the engine.

Adam had his done by JE and from what he has said about it, the results sound fantastic.

He will probably be along in a minute to give a bit more advice...

Post #5150 24th Apr 2009 10:00am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Yes, here I am!

I'm not plugging JE and I don't earn commission from them but yes, they were about the safest bet, as they help LR themselves develop and tune their engines, they have 27 years experience so if they can't get it right, nobody can. Plus, they are only down the road from me (comparitively).

I notice in the winter/night that when I kick down I see more smoke behind me in the following car's headlights but that's cos it's a diesel. It's not a smoky engine overall.

My advice would be to revert back to standard spec and run it for a bit, see how it goes.

Having said all of this, I was on a Range Rover day last year as a guest of LR and there was a TDV8 Sport in front of me that from a standing start, blew black smoke out all over the place. The LR instructor called it a 'diesel dump' and sounded surprised it had happened. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #5156 24th Apr 2009 11:12am
AKIS

Guys many thanks.Most probably i will follow RRUK advice and return back to normal although for the remapping LR workshop charged me euro 1000 and supposed was a "friendly" price (i donot want even to think how they treat their enemies).But as i said the most annoying is that car is getting smokie even during normal accelation.
By the way during last period i am driving the car on manual mode so to have min possible smoke and i noticed that car is responding much much better than the auto mode.
Because of their "sensitive"gear boxes do u think that i can face problems by changing gears manually?
Sorry for asking all these but in Greece and specially in Athens diesel cars more than rare and workshops not too experienced so under no way can be trusted.Tfore i have to collect info from my own.

Once again many thanks.

Post #5208 27th Apr 2009 10:05am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Akis,

Might also be worth considering an engine oil change if you've not had one done recently, just to ensure the engine is at it's prime for a possible remap.

1000 euros sounds A lot! I paid £340 which is roughly the same in Euros these days for the Stage 1 TD6 tune at JE Engineering. They had a promotion on at the time, but I think the prices have generally dropped over the last few years. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #5209 27th Apr 2009 12:05pm
AKIS

RRUK
Just before remapping the car i did full service.Hever from day one i noticed the smoke and called rr.They said that might be smoke sentiments in the exhaust system so in time/the more kms i will do the faster the smoke will become less and less.From remapping date till know i have done abt 8000klms with an oil change inbetween.Car still smokie as day 1.Not any change at all and main problem is that according LR workshop all ok/nothing wrong.
What i am thinking is to ask rr with which program they have remapped the car.Maybe u hv heart something abt it
Normally i had to go the car back and hv kind of fight with the workshop but afraid that same will be useless as most of them quite unexperienced on diesel cars.

Post #5214 27th Apr 2009 3:16pm
shaun10569

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Cairns Blue
smokie

could be the turbo seal starting to fail , this is the first sign...check the oil level and round the tailpipes for a wet deposit instead of a dry one when the car is at operating temp...my 03 td6 just had a turbo at 107k and those were the symptoms...all fine now Laughing

Post #7946 22nd Oct 2009 12:58pm
jope

Norway 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Java Black

have you changed the valve breather filter? This can cause smoke if it'snot beeing changed. In the first service manuals for the td6 there is no information about changing this filter. But at BMW the filter is recomended changed min every 30 000km

Post #7947 22nd Oct 2009 1:39pm
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

Where is this valve breather filter please?

Post #7961 22nd Oct 2009 7:05pm
jope

At the engine you can see two black plastic circles, that's where the filter is...

Click image to enlarge

Post #7963 22nd Oct 2009 7:37pm
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black

I have a diesel. Does it have a valve breather filter too?

Post #7979 23rd Oct 2009 8:09am
jope

the picture shown is from my car that is a 2002 td6 (diesel Razz )

Post #7997 23rd Oct 2009 12:15pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

ive changed mine recently it comes as a kit filter with O rings / seals youll need torx bits to do the job AND DONT DROP ANYTHING INTO THE ENGINE takes about 15 minutes on a nice sunny day Thumbs Up onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #8019 23rd Oct 2009 5:45pm
AKIS

Never have listened abt valve breather filter.I have already order it.Many thanks

Post #8219 3rd Nov 2009 5:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>