Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Thinking of buying a FFRR - Help and advice welcome
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bishbosh

United Kingdom 
Thinking of buying a FFRR - Help and advice welcome

Hi folks, First post but you will soon see why. I'm not sure whether this topic has been covered previously. I did a search on Buying and could not see anything very similar.

So here goes:

I currently have a X plate Disco2 (v8 LPG 7 seats) which has been really good but everytime I took it to the LR dealer I always climbed in the FFRR in the showroom. You may know the feeling.
They are worlds apart from the Disco. Anyway I have kept my eye on AutoTrader for the last few years and have seen the prices drop into my buying range £15-£17K. The penny has dropped with the finance director (my other half) and she has taken to the idea.

So I'm looking for help when buying a car that might be one of the early ones (2002? with 60k) or a later model with high mileage (2004 with £100k). What should I be looking for. Had the Head Gaskets done on my Disco at 50K. What about suspension ? What about known problems that LR will fix for free ? And those they won't ?

What about servicing? What costs would I expect to be hit by doing 10k a year ? Have given up on LR dealer since moving away from West Yorkshire where I received outstanding service from the Bradford dealer who was worth the extra cash. Local dealer not as good and have gone to an independant.

I'm tempted towards the petrol with an LPG conversion. I have no problem with LPG and you can buy them with a Prinz LPG already fitted (Prinz system is what I currently use and is the best) for £1000 more than a diesel or a plain petrol. I've even spotted a 7 seater HSE LPG for £17k. Would push the boat out for this as the seven seats do come in handy on the disco.

Now for the wife's question - What are the main differences between HSE and Vogue in general? Is there something fundementally different (touch screen display? Wood trim?) and is there an easy wasy of finding out what spec a car is for a certain year. Clearly the LR site lists the current specs but not what they were in 2002 !

Any other tips would be welcome.

I'm hoping that other members can make use of this information in the future. LR Disco2 XS LPG
Proton Jumbuck
Mazda Eunos

Post #985 6th Oct 2008 7:56am
JOKER

Scotland 

www.wisebuyers.co.uk

The above website will give you the info on what spec are in certain models, Disco's and FF's Thumbs Up ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #986 6th Oct 2008 9:07am
JOKER

Scotland 

Vogue 4.4 V8 Automatic LPG CONVERSION (2003)
67,699 miles, 1st Registered 21/11/03 Finished in Zambesi Silver with charcoal leather One owner from new Side Steps Front nudge bar with spot lights .£16,990 to give you a rough idea. Checlout Pistonheads.com and scroll to land rover / range rover ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #987 6th Oct 2008 9:17am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Lots of differences between the Vogue and HSE models such as;

Sunroof
Comfort seats with huge amount of adjustment
headlamp washing
Xenons
Sat nav (likely to be older BMW interface unless you get an 05 plate onwards)
TV (possibly)
Cherry or Burr Walnut trim
Different leather options
Stereo upgrade

there's bound to be more but can't recall at the moment

In terms of prices, this is the best time of year to be buying (but not selling of course). I've got a friend who bought a 2002 Vogue, all the toys, paid £12k at auction and so far, has not gone wrong. That was a TD6 too. The 4.4V8 are VERY smooth and lovely to drive, you know about LPG so could get it converted yourself. The 7 seater you have seen will only be the addition of a bench seat in the boot and is not as practical as your Disco seating or indeed the newer D3 seating.

I would focus your attention on getting a car that is as low mileage as possible for your budget with a rock solid history, and that can be independent as well as dealer servicing. (I currently service my FFRR independently and save bundles of cash as a rseult for the same work).

Regarding servicing on 10K a year, you'll need a service around 13-15K depending on how hard you drive. LPG converting may reduce this. Main dealer will cost a bundle but indy garages can do a decent job too, its all about the image isn't it? If you need work doing like brakes and tyres you can source these cheaper too. I had all my brakes and discs done and bought them from Paddock and had them fitted by my local garage. eBay is a great place to get parts now as older vehicles are being broken down.

The only major problem that's been around on the 2002> model is the front driveshafts have been known to blow, and taking the front Diff with them. LR then had a problem cos they couldn't source enough new Diffs, so they were having the broken ones repaired and refitting them into some cars, which then blew again.

Eventually they introduced the Range Rover Assurance Programme and invited owners to have their driveshafts replaced voluntarily 'in case' it goes. If you buy an older car from a private trader or non dealer I think its unlikely that you'd be able to talk them into this. The diff explosion apparently seems to happen around 65K for some reason. It's a gamble as many cars never had a problem so you take a risk. However, as you now know, the benefit side of things to owning a FFRR can far outweigh one or two niggles.

Let us know how you get on. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #996 8th Oct 2008 2:18pm
bishbosh

United Kingdom 
Thanks for all the advice

Many thanks for all the advice.

I've decided to put my Disco on the market and see what response I get.

I'm going to go to a few auctions and see what the FFRR go for.

The advice about the driveshafts is worth knowing. I'ts something I'll look for evidence of it being done.

I'll let you know how I get one... LR Disco2 XS LPG
Proton Jumbuck
Mazda Eunos

Post #1073 16th Oct 2008 12:20pm
Simonlyons

2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

Hi There

As a note I have now had my 55 Plate 06 for three weeks. After advice from RR UK I rang the dealer and they said bring it in for the driveshafts. Being done tomorrow getting a TDV8 for the morning its only a three hour job apparently. I have done 4000 miles in three weeks seeing about 27.8 to the gallon and could not be happier. I had a disco two and its no comparison. YOu will get an 06 /56 for 24 - 26 K easy at the mo I paid 27 and at the time the price was good 06 with 50K but they have dropped 3 -4 k in three months. Shop around the dealers are shifting none whatsoever. Stratsone in Bury have an 06 Buck nlue cream leather 21K miles for 29K with a bid that can be bought for 27K. WIth warranty and all the dealer rubbish. Good luck. They are awesome. I will never go in a merc again unless its a taxi which is all they are good for. Rolling with laughter Got my 06 Vogue Buckingham Blue, TD6 Supercharged vents and grille, 19 Vogue alloys. Got it today and very very happy!!!
26th September 2008

Post #1075 16th Oct 2008 8:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1