Home > Technical (L322) > Spark Plugs??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
volores

2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey
Spark Plugs??

hi all

Looking to have a full sevice done on my 05 FFRR V8 and am absolutely gob smacked at the price of spark plugs being quoted! - £14 - £18 each???

Obviously a lot cheaper ones out there but wanted to canvas opinion......I'm all for ensuring the best value for money and dont mind paying for the best quality if indeed they are the best ,however, I'm also keen to ensure I'm not wasting money either!

Car is currently still running on petrol and doesnt do a great deal of miles however, I do intend switching to LPG at some point this year....so

Cheaper plugs and change on regular basis or fork out for better quality......would i notice a difference??

Cheers Current Cars:
2005 FF Range Rover Vogue
S2 Lotus Elise
Rover Mini Cooper

Post #114938 26th Mar 2012 8:37pm
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver

Do they need changing? Modern spark plugs fitted to modern engines will frequently last for 60-70,000 miles - often more. If they do need changing I would go for decent plugs, not the cheapest but not the most expensive either.

If you are going to run LPG, I would suggest you do some research and find out if they need a different spec plug, LPG runs hotter than petrol and would burn out plugs a bit quicker unless you have the right spec. No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #114956 26th Mar 2012 9:41pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Had a similar issue to you a few months back. Spoke to my LPG fitter and he said just fit the standard plugs recommended in the book. Said alot of it was sales gimmick etc. I got my plugs from uni part for about £4 each and when they came out the box were genuine NGK plugs. So worth a shot. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #114972 27th Mar 2012 7:08am
bergxu

United States 2005 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I use the 'spensive NGK Iridium plugs because they are definitely good for 100K miles and resist any sort of fouling, etc..very well. I bring this up because when the time comes to change your plugs, the plug wells will most likely be full of oil unless you've been attentive to your valve cover gaskets (this is on the BMW engine at least), and even if you are able to sop up some of the oil down there, there will still be enough that will drip into the combustion chambers causing one helluva smoke cloud when you fire the 'ol girl up once the new plugs are in. I'd be worried that standard plugs would foul quickly when faced with this, not to mention as I said the service life of the Iridium plugs is an easy 100K. Oh, and I should note that my fuel economy went up a bit with the use of these plugs... Cheers,

Aaron

Post #115636 30th Mar 2012 3:41pm
Trist78

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

As someone has quoted unipart is the one to get and you should get the NGK r plugs.

I had this issue when I first got the car and bought a service kit and in that Champion plugs were included so I changed it to that. After 5 k I drop oil out again and changed the plugs for the NGKr.

I was also informed by a friend who has been a BMW mechanic for years and now gone to aston martin, that the m62 engine has a system if it detects a weak spark it sends a multiple of sparks in one go, I guess to clean the carbon build up on the tip, and said that it does go through spark plugs if they are shiiite ones. So hence putting a better ones is the option.

Post #115719 31st Mar 2012 11:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1