Home > General > Selling on Forums.....advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alexbartman

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black
Selling on Forums.....advice please

Hi
Have been trying to sell my 22" Overfinch wheels for a while - got a buyer last week on the RRS forum.....agreed a price and during various PMs, he asked if they were genuine.....my exact answer (the absolute truth) was...
"I am certain they are genuine, as every other extra on the car (bought secondhand) was genuine, but I do not know how to tell for sure....."

He phoned this morniing to tell me that they were not genuine, and did not want them.....and I do not know what to do as on the back of selling them, I bought a set of 19" wheels from Ebay, removed the 22s off my car and fitted the 19s....I really have no way to store 4 spare wheels!
He also wants the money back for shipping (which he paid for ,but I had to wait in all morning for).....

Is there a moral here? - he has my mobile number and address and I want to try to sort it out amicably of course - but I told him they are "sold as seen" and I really wont give him back his money.....am I wrong?Am I acting illegally??? I have bought and sold on other forums and ebay of course - I'm just an honest guy and now looks though Ive got a bit of trouble,....

Post #12235 2nd Feb 2010 2:47pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

If you want to end it amicably then you may have to bite the bullet and just take them back, it's likely you'll sell them elsewhere. At the end of the day he will argue that you suggested they were genuine when they were not. Had you said no, things may be different.

Of course, he may just be one of those people that you can never please. Whistle

If it were me, I'd learn from the experience and sell them to someone who really does want them.

Any help? Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #12237 2nd Feb 2010 2:56pm
alexbartman

a littel crumb of comfort...but I think I am right to refuse to pay for the deliveries.....

Post #12238 2nd Feb 2010 3:00pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Caveat Emptor, "Let the buyer beware" if its private sale...

Under the doctrine of caveat emptor, the buyer could not recover from the seller for defects on the property that rendered the property unfit for ordinary purposes. The only exception was if the seller actively concealed latent defects or otherwise made material misrepresentations amounting to fraud.

This is the same for Private car sales but in most cases applies when the buyer has had sight and accepted the goods for sale. However I believe it applies to unseen private sales as well.

Just depends how big he is I guess Wink

Post #12239 2nd Feb 2010 3:09pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I agree with Gaz, buyer beware. If you said "I believe these are genuine wheels, but cannot 100% verify that) then you are covered (morally anyway) However, if he said Are these genuine, to which you replied "Yes" then you would be wise to offer him a partial refund, say 25-50% that may appease him?

You run the risk of him returning the wheels through your windows if he is the sort not to be messed with. How much did you get for them? Did he get a bargain, or did he pay top dollar? All these things should be taken into the equation.

Of course they may actually be genuine and he's just changed his mind! 

Post #12244 2nd Feb 2010 4:07pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

i would agree in general with Gaz re buyer beware but if you want true peace of mind then Adam is right and you must bite the bullet and take it however painful and unfair that seems. I would suggest he discovered they were replicas and didnt want reps at that price and expected originals. Ultimately you will find a buyer, it is just you may have to accept a realistic price for them be it originals or reps.

Any pics as i may have them if the price is right. Also what tyres and load rating etc

Post #12257 2nd Feb 2010 5:10pm
coko

2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Bournville

Alex, I have followed your posts on here and on the other forum. To be honest I would agree with Gaz - it is buyer beware.
Even though from your pictures it is difficult to state if the rims are genuine or not (a detailed picture from the back of the rim would help as OF will have it casted in the back) as long as you have stated that you assume that they are genuine but can not guarantee it it is the buyer who needs to accept and account for the risk.

Post #12261 2nd Feb 2010 5:30pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

buyer beware - tough!

He should have stipulated categorically before the deal was done that they MUST be genuine or the purchase was void.

He went ahead with the sale knowing there was some doubt - afraid its hard lines in my book

Post #12266 2nd Feb 2010 5:56pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

I too have looked aswell on your posts regarding the wheels and i can see they are reps from the photos if that helps for future transactions. Cheap tyres should have sent a warning to you and and buyer though re authenticity as will normally have Pirellis when new from Overfinch.

You may want to update your thread and let people know that the buyer withdrew after buying so as not to add testimony to him as a "successful transaction" and a good buyer etc.. if you catch my drift.

Post #12267 2nd Feb 2010 5:57pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

What other thread and where are the pictures?

Post #12273 2nd Feb 2010 6:26pm
coko

2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Bournville

Here mate Whistle

Post #12274 2nd Feb 2010 6:45pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

Are yes the 285/35R22 Nexens are definitely the give away as most replica wheel dealers fit these as their discount tyre. I bet they cost about £899 for full set of Wheels & Tyres and would have been about £1150 with Toyo (Premium) Tyres...

Post #12276 2nd Feb 2010 7:01pm
alexbartman

thanks for advice - as I am a nice honest guy - and I really dont want them back I offered him the difference between what I paid for my 19" wheels and what he paid for my 22" - so I'm level on the deal, he has a set of nice (albeit replica) wheels - just a shame as I was going to spend the £300 on tidying up a few bits on the car.....truth is I think - on stuff like this - it has to be collect only - then buyers can see what they;re getting...I'm still amazed they're replicas...the previous owner spared no expense on the additional bits and pieces - all of them genuine...

Post #12277 2nd Feb 2010 7:04pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

hi, this is my view... if he thought he was buying originals and now he finds they are not, he wont be happy.i am not sure how you discribed the wheels but if he has your address and is out of pocket for several hundred i would be calling to ask for my money back....if he has not used them and its only a few days,not weeks its a fair request. there is a lot of hype about them cracking and i am sure thats what hes worried about. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #12278 2nd Feb 2010 7:06pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

Nice Happy ending Thumbs Up

Post #12280 2nd Feb 2010 7:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1