Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Auto Transmission shift's brutally if at all???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Robert_it

Italy 
Auto Transmission shift's brutally if at all???

Hi fullfatrr,

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Been gone for a while simply because my car has been flawless and I have been too busy doing my house up.

Now however I need you guys more that ever...
yesterday driving into my garage I noticed a hard abrupt shift down from 2'nd to 1'st, didn't think more of it but today the gearbox is gone?
It shifts abruptly if at all and if you trying to accelerate it revs up to 2500-3000 rpm and then engage with screaming tires? ( only tried this once and then straight back to the house)
There is NO warnings on the dash but something has gone very wrong, tried to trawl the net and this forum but most failures seems to be related with a warning of some kind, in my case it just feels very bad and is not-drive-able but no warnings?
The car has gone 148000KM ( 87000 miles) and had all transmission oils in the drive-train replaced by Landrover about 40.000 km ago (25000miles)

To me it seems like a rebuild but since I have no experience with auto-transmissions I would like an experts view?
Anybody having an idea where to start trouble shooting? or is there anything I can do before sending it to the shop?

any responds will be VERY appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Robert 2006 Full Size 4.2 V8 SC. Bonatti Grey - Ivory/Aspen.

Post #127395 24th Jun 2012 11:22am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

PM RRUK / Phil, he has quite a lot of experience with autoboxes. But to be honest it sounds like it is gone (symptoms very similar to my GMC box failing). MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #127397 24th Jun 2012 11:58am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately I have no first-hand experience with the ZF 6HP26 so I only know what I’ve read.

Certainly the 2-1 rollout shift issue is well documented but you seem to be saying it wasn’t normal for your transmission and it’s the first time you'd noticed it? As for the subsequent delay in engaging gear and the harshness of the upshifts – it does seem a bit bizarre, with such a catastrophic series of faults, that ‘transmission fault’ isn’t displayed on the message centre.

The only thing I can suggest is that you check the fluid level in case there’s been a leak and possibly also (gazzelio’s favourite) for the selector cable clamp bolt seizure issue http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post87201.html#87201

Other than that, I’m afraid you’re going to have to seek professional help.

Phil

Post #127398 24th Jun 2012 12:32pm
Robert_it

Italy 

Thanks a lot guys,

I have no leak as the gearbox and my garagefloor is bone dry, The shift cable looks fine and I have never experienced any "selection" problems..... It DO indeed looks like a major failure ( and an expensive one Big Cry )
I will lube up the cable just in case and check the level and take a oil sample just to calm my mind that there is nothing I can do....

I do not supose I am so lucky there is an Italian form the Bergamo region who reads this AND know a good Auto transmission repair shop ???? Rolling with laughter

Just as a side note: Before the full drive-train oil replacement the "feel" of changing gears was a little rougher than after but we are talking a VERY slight change towards the better, only what I expected actually. Again, it has always shifted nice and smooth.

Thanks again for your time and inputs....

Post #127403 24th Jun 2012 1:12pm
bozmandb9

Hi Robert,

How come it had all the oils changed by LR, since according to them the transmission is sealed for life?

I'd take it back to them if I were you, especially if it has a full LR history.

Pretty sure it'll need a new box anyway, but try to get them to at least give you a 'gesture'!

The other thing you could do, is try to get it to ZF in German for a rebuild?

I had mine go, it needed a full rebuilt, thought the mechactronic unit was OK, so it 'only' cost around £2k!

Good luck! Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #127452 24th Jun 2012 7:15pm
Robert_it

Italy 

Hi Bozman,
The only reason I had the oil change is because I asked for it, I have always believed in prevention as to curing and I thought that a full tranny oil change was suitable after 110000Km??
I have read a lot about oil-changes on the "sealed for life" systems and my feeling is still that it is better to change it every 100.000 or so.
If it have anything to do with my failure or if my failure would have come even earlier or not at all will always be a guess?

I trust my local Land Rover garage, they seems very good, but I am sure they will not offer any special treatment as I asked for the change.

Thanks for the concern, where in Germany is this ZF?

Post #127478 25th Jun 2012 7:42am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Hi Robert, I agree with the oil changes. Actually on my car the LR workshop manager recommended it based on my description of the little "imperfections" in gear change behaviour. I don't believe that the oil change has caused it, not after 38000 kms. Only insufficient oil level but by the sounds that is not the case. So my guess is that it just failed.

I think it is just a matter of bad luck as I believe these ZF boxes are pretty sturdy.

Have a search on the forum for ZF gear oil changes, some guys have gone to Germany to do the oil change of their gear box.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/company/loc.../italy.jsp

The link shows their offices in Italy, but not sure if there is a service center there that does this kind of work. I would have a look around their website to find out. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #127483 25th Jun 2012 8:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1