Home > General > Decision Decision
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kin

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Decision Decision

Hi all you full fat Rangers, Mr. Green
I'm an newbie, and some of you may know me from your other sister's site, I have a budget of upto £35k, and have been looking at other cars as well as RR, and ultimately TDV8 is on top of the list, but I do have one concern, and that is reliability, also I drive mainly around town, do I really need a TDV8 ?... why not buy myself a TD6 and save myself another £10k, sorry for the rather long and naive post, just like to hear your honest opinions

Just incase someone is interested in my beloved Morgan which is for sale Big Cry here'a a couple of pics...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Please remove, if I breach forum rules

Kin

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #1336 20th Nov 2008 11:39pm
kevinthefruitbat

I certainly wouldn't recommend a TDV8 for town driving, as your DPF will be forever telling you that it's full.
I bought my TDV8 Vogue SE in Jan 2008. It worked until April. Biggest piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune to spend my money on. Dealers are no use either. I'd stick with your Morgan if I was you!

Post #1344 21st Nov 2008 1:05pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

That's a very negative comment from Kevinfruitbat.

The nature of these forums means that people generally see a very negative outlook on the whole, as people tend to post threads when they have a problem.

I can speak from personal experience of my own ownership of 3 range rovers and my father's, who's had range rovers in succession since about 1974.

I would recommend a FFRR to anyone. Like any other car, some have had their problems. The current L322 model is certainly the best yet, the main reliability factor has been with the front driveshafts going pop and taking the front diff with it, however Land Rover ackowledged the issue and set about proactively replacing them for free, I had it done on mine after my warranty expired. Other users on this forum have also had it done.

In terms of engine choice the TDV8 is superb and you could not want more. Even if you only do town driving, its an excellent choice, smooth, powerful and quiet. The fuel economy on them is about the same, you'll get 23-25mpg

You can certainly save some cash on a TD6 and when chipped, are surprisingly sprightly, I love mine to bits. You'll get a great car for less than 30K from a dealer on a TD6, and you can now pick up TDV8's second hand with average miles for just over 30K.

I would advise you to pop to your local dealer and test drive one of each and make up your own mind on what you can live with. The TD6 is certainly noisier under hard acceleration but when crusing about, especially low speeds, even the radio blocks out the noise.

Let us know how you get on and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Adam Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1345 21st Nov 2008 1:20pm
kin

kevinthefruitbat wrote:
I certainly wouldn't recommend a TDV8 for town driving, as your DPF will be forever telling you that it's full.
I bought my TDV8 Vogue SE in Jan 2008. It worked until April. Biggest piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune to spend my money on. Dealers are no use either. I'd stick with your Morgan if I was you!
Wow, very harsh! Would you mind elaborate on why you think its crap!?

I'd love to keep my Morgan, but with the state of economy, I'd rather have some extra cash in the bank. In the meantime I just px my daily runner for something reasonable.(i.e. Range Rover)

Adam, thanks for the advice, I'll take both diesel for a test drive, but I've got a feeling that I might go for the V8 Wink

ps if the DPF is full, could I not take it out for a long motorway run? Does TD6 have DPF?

Post #1349 21st Nov 2008 5:32pm
kevinthefruitbat

If you want to clean the DPF filter, you have to keep the revs above 2500 rpm for a minimum of 20 minutes. This usually involves using the command shift, something that I had no intention of using but was kind of forced to have to!
I regularly cross the continent of Europe and I didn't make it to my destination this time. I had to grab a lift from a business associate while I left my car behind at the dealers....again!!! Censored Evil or Very Mad
I have visited 5 dealers in 3 different countries. None of them can tell me the problem, let alone fix it! (All the mechanics I have so far spoken to look like they have just moved on from burger flipping at Mickey D's) Surprised
When it goes it is fantastic, but it doesn't go often enough.
How presumptious I was to buy a brand new one and expect it work! Whistle
Enjoy your test drive and good luck Thumbs Up

Post #1350 21st Nov 2008 6:15pm
Lookers Park Royal

Welcome to the forum Kin, and if you need any help with finding a vehicle then let me know (although we are slightly geographically challenged!

As for the DPF........................

Kevin, the UK market doesn't have Diesel Particulate Filters as standard so I can only guess that your vehicle is from another European market so would have it as standard. You are right, they are a pain if you predomanantly drive 'in town' as it does require you to change your driving habits and go for a 'good run' Every couple of weeks. Having not experienced one with a DPF I can't comment on having to use command shift to start the regeneration cycle.

Good luck with it and hope that you manage to get to the bottom of it.

James Thumbs Up

Post #1352 21st Nov 2008 6:53pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Well this forum is all about learning new stuff, and until just now, I had no idea what a DPF was.

I am still clueless as to what it does!

Kin,

I can garauntee as soon as you drive the TDV8 and experience the masses of torque, the non diesely V8 noise and the speed you'll have fallen in love. the fact that the interiors are updated and more modern (especially in black...pass me the Kleenex Embarassed ) is just icing on the already lovely cake!

I had one for a day and posted a lengthy test drive with pics thread, here's the link, worth reading!

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic124.html Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #1353 21st Nov 2008 7:06pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

hi ive had my td6 vogue for about 18 months now and in all farness its in my oppinion less problematic than what most people make them out to be yes it has the odd moment when it dont know what to do but its usually fixed by switching off the ignition and back on i find the td6 very economical for a very heavy vehicle and its a very nice comfortable town driver. i cant comment on the tdv8 as i havnt driven one and i dont want to just yet as it would be to much of a temptation to change. i will definetly be buying a newer tdv8 in the next couple of years regardless of what people have to say about the problems they have hope this has helped in your decision

Post #1357 21st Nov 2008 7:30pm
kin

speedymarktd6 wrote:
....i havnt driven one and i dont want to just yet as it would be to much of a temptation to change..
....and its a bloody wise decision too Smile

I've managed to grabbed a last minute test drive on both the TD6 and TDV8 the other day. Took the TD6 out first, it was noisy, but the performance was adequate. I was happy to buy a TD6.

However, the biggest mistake I made was test driving the TDV8, as soon as I started the engine, i knew that would be the car I wanted, its smooth, quiet, and pulls like a train, seamless acceleration Thumbs Up Fortunately for me the car was the wrong colour, or else I would have bought it there and then...

I already have a couple of TDV8 in my mind, but the work has been very busy, and its nearly Xmas now Shocked
I'll probably wait till after new year, which is only weeks away, should drop even more in value Very Happy

Post #1395 24th Nov 2008 10:40pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Dont forget a TDV8 with a good remap is even more Cool and gives plenty og Mr. Green

Post #1396 25th Nov 2008 8:38am
jpr

Ive had a bunch of 4x4's and its took me a while to finally settle into one i truly love, i had an ML which was ok, x5's are rubbish, got the Range Rover Sport when it came out and loved it but it wasnt a luxury 4x4 and didnt have all the toys! when i got the SC Vogue i felt at home, there is no other more luxurious prestige 4x4 on the markey and i can honestly say that my next car will be another SC vogue, so forget the rest and get the vest Thumbs Up ---------------------------------------------
Current - 2015 RR & Lumma CLR GT 558

Previous

RRS HSE now Gone
SC FFRR Gone

Post #1406 26th Nov 2008 3:15pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

jpr wrote:
so forget the rest and get the vest Thumbs Up

What, like this?

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #1409 26th Nov 2008 7:14pm
jpr

Exactly like that, i was testing everyones proof reading abilities and well done for spotting that, i of course meant the BEST! Twisted Evil ---------------------------------------------
Current - 2015 RR & Lumma CLR GT 558

Previous

RRS HSE now Gone
SC FFRR Gone

Post #1421 27th Nov 2008 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1