Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Winter wheels fitted to the supercharged with mtr tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
AJS4X4

Respect them in the cold wet mornings as this not a plus point of them, also Goodyear no longer make them.

Good luck with them, next step in the Goodyear Duratec...........nice tyre but very differcult to find at present. Andy....

www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk

01737 241370.

Always best to phone first.

Post #150185 8th Nov 2012 6:53am
Allan

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

They look great...!

But a word of caution they are a mud terrain tyre. they will have significantly less grip on tarmac than what you are used to. When the tarmac gets wet they get even worse. Driving on ice is lethal. Snow with any kind of compaction will be no better than a good all year M+S and a lot worse than a winter tyre. You will be good on deep snow off road.

MT's and AT's are for driving on unmade roads. An aggressive open tread pattern does not translate to better snow and ice performance. My RRS on Pirellis was better in the snow and ice on tarmac than my defender on new BFG AT's. So much better I sold the Defender!

Because of the open tread pattern on AT and MT tyres the rubber needs to be harder to stabilise the blocks which means less grip in cold conditions but also high mileages from a set. A winter tyre is quite a close tread pattern with a lot of tiny sipes in the tread and is made from a high silica compound rubber to retain its elasticity in cold weather. This is the opposite of an AT / MT.

This was taken on a visit to a patient last year. It's an unmade / un driven farm track with a foot of snow. RRS on year old Pirelli Scorpions (4mm all round!). It got stuck due the front snow ploughing about 40 yards from his door. MTR's would have got me further but might not have got me to the off road section. The best investment for winter driving is learning how to drive in snow...!

Post #150314 8th Nov 2012 11:06pm
AJS4X4

But I bet the Defender would not have got stuck there. Wink

In those conditions I would rather be in the Defender. Thumbs Up

Very fair points but learning to drive in snow is very hard for most as we don't get enough of it.

Box some up when you get some and send it south. Rolling with laughter Andy....

www.ajstyres.co.uk www.ajs4x4.co.uk

01737 241370.

Always best to phone first.

Post #150331 9th Nov 2012 6:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12