Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > What's reasonable...?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sleepezy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black
What's reasonable...?

Guys, asking for your opinion here on some work I have had to have done recently.

About 9 months ago the rear discs/pads were replaced - done about 7k since.

Recently noticed a grinding sound coming from the OSR and checked the disc which was badly scored. Garage quickly diagnosed sticking caliper leading to excessive wear through the pad.

Solution was to replace OSR caliper and rear discs/pads on both sides. Caliper replaced under warranty (although this took no time according to the labour sheet) - I had to pay for discs, pads and all labour (same garage as initial replacement).

I would have thought that the caliper would have been checked/lubricated as part of the previous work but am I wrong? Is it just 'one of those things'?

I'm particularly annoyed at having to pay for another set of discs after relatively little use.

Thanks in advance

Post #152027 19th Nov 2012 1:36pm
47p2

Scotland 

Sticking calipers are a common problem and 9 months is a long time for a FFRR caliper. I doubt if you have anything to complain about

Post #152029 19th Nov 2012 1:38pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Sticking rear calipers is indeed a known problem (mainly in the S/Cs I thought but obviously not limited to them). What surprises me that it went unnoticed (or can you remember in hindsight some "strange" behaviour). When mine started acting up, I noticed it quite quickly. It was "holding back" after say 15/20 kms as it had fuel starvation. Also the left rear wheel gave of a lot of heat after a drive.

I replaced both calipers (knowing of the bad reputation) and everything has been fine since.

If they replaced the discs and pads, I would have expected them to check but it is not always obvious in my experience.

However if they replace the caliper under warranty then I don't see why the rest of the work isn't warranty either as it is consequential damage. Also having you pay for all the labour is a bit much, the caliper is not a hell of a lot of work but with bleeding etc. it does take a bit of time. I would expect 50/50 at least. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #152059 19th Nov 2012 3:43pm
sleepezy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Thanks both for your opinions.

There really wasn't anything noticeable, certainly no 'holding back'. Only noticed the grinding noise a couple of days prior (but by then I guess the damage is done and the pad worn away)

But then, I'm not driving it like Lewis Hamilton either Wink

Post #152075 19th Nov 2012 4:34pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I would expect driving like Lewis would actually prevent you from noticing it as he is either on the throttle or the brakes with no idle periods inbetween Smile

Good luck with talking to the garage. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #152078 19th Nov 2012 4:44pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Yes its a very common issue with all (thus far) pre electronic handbrake FF's...

We offer a caliper cover that emulates the front Brembo's, the two reasons for these are A, aesthetics and B, they melt when calipers overheat! (giving owners an early warning of the doom impending...) As its not only the cost of replacing the calipers but also replacing the rear discs and pads that add up when they seize... (painting your new calipers would have a similar affect ie melt off when they overheat)

Quick thought though, its always good practice to replace calipers in pairs, and did they change your brake fluid? As the heat when they seize can boil brake fluid... And that aint good!

Craig Thumbs Up

Post #152148 19th Nov 2012 9:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1