Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Aftermarket head unit & nav L322 Vogue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SteveyD

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
Aftermarket head unit & nav L322 Vogue

Hi all,

Im a new forum member who recently purchased a 2003 Vogue TD6. I know a fair bit about VW/AUDI systems, I'm spending a lot of my spare time getting to up to speed with LR/RR equipment. It's fair to say that inside my RR requires a bit of work mainly on the interior however the OEM media system really bugs me. IMHO I think it looks dated (more like late 70's) and It needs to go.

NB:- I have spent a great deal of time in the search section but I am not getting much info, hence my starting this thread. Apologies in advance if there at thousands like it.

In simpe terms I understand that any RR HSE spec or lower can easily accomodate any aftermarket head units thanks to a single din dash and fewer Info inputs such as range, mpg etc etc

I also (and here is where the grey are begins) understand that the VOGUE spec RR can not accomodate after market units thanks to a rear mounted amplifier, double din dash, various inputs from onboard computer.

Also these aftermarket units can not power the RR analogue clock (mine has issues already)

Now, I know I could upgrade to the latest(ish) OEM system for quite a lot of money and this would be pretty much plug & play, perhaps with some coding. But I am quite taken back by the options offered with units such as this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AQ:GB:1123

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It certainly caters for todays multimedia and technology needs.

So worst case scenario would I be able to get this unit to work yet not display luxuries such as MPG, speed, range etc. Is that really the end of the world?

Im going to be installing a complete interior in the new year, mine is pretty worn. This is the perfect time for loom modification and installation of new components if required. I would be very interested to read about any members builds, study wiring diagrams and listen to and advice or info people might have.

steve

Post #156706 11th Dec 2012 4:16pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

hi Steve, you'll find that the latest OEM touch screen units work on the MOST system which is not compatible with yours..there's loads re fitting after market head units on the forum and no doubt someone who has done it will be along soon to help you.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #156707 11th Dec 2012 4:21pm
SteveyD

Thanks Stan MOST (ironic name) im guessing that system came into effect after the 2005/6 period. So that helps to narrow my idea down quote a lot, upgrade standard or make something aftermarket work. If nothing else I'm enjoying learning all about the RR... ask me the if I feel the same way after I learn all about gearbox & torque converter replacements mind Laughing

Post #156722 11th Dec 2012 4:42pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

I am not going to go by Vogue or HSE or whatever because I do not even know what they had here much less in the UK, but an aftermarket head unit will not work with OEM nav or DSP amp. They only replace the MID radio (W/o a lot of work rewiring the entire vehicle, anyway).

The clock is powered on it's own, but it needs a signal over the iBus to be set. Some have done this via an ebay MID (BMW MIDs will work too) in the glovebox where the CD changer sits. You have no ther on-board-computer functions w/o this either.

If you have a nav system, I would seriously look into upgrading this (as I also mentioned in the other thread). You can do quite a bit with it. I assume - as you are looking into a unit that is designed to physically look very similar to oem - it's just the menus that you find look dated? Check some of the car PC options. This is only (easily) possible with the old nav.

And check one of these head units live before buying. I have seen them and I would consider it a good upgrade for a dodgy MID radio but not as a replacement for the oem nav.

BTW, MOST = Media Oriented Systems Transport. It is a vehicle entertainment bus standard and used in VW/Audi as well. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #156728 11th Dec 2012 5:10pm
SteveyD

In a nutshel yes I would like the look to remain OEM (ish) and yes it's the display that looks dated. I have not seen the PC options you mentioned.

I do have OEM sat nav and amp installed but the NAV is the old CDR system and faulty hence my thoughts about removal of the entire system, its 10yrs old after all and technology has advanced quite a lot since then. Im also very cautious of a spiraling cost that results in very little change.

I have never came across MOST withing my VAG experience but then again everything I have ever touched has been plug & play CAN systems perhaps with a bit of VAGCOM coding to get all the functions working. I'm by no means an expert, I'm an electrician by trade.

So the functions I would loose if i decided to venture away from OEM would be what exactly?

Navigation (currently faulty and new unit has nav)
Off Road Navigation (handy for shortcuts I guess)
Boot Amplifier (not the best possibly faulty, the audio effects installed are poor, as is the EQ)
Tape player (I have not had a tape since I was 14)
6 Disc changer (replaced by MP3 archive)
Info Display (I admit that is very useful especially the mileage range)
Controls (Cab heater timer is very useful)

I think that for my own personal use there are more pro's than cons. Would removing any such systems create any faults withing the RR?

Post #156738 11th Dec 2012 5:46pm
Joe90

England 

Does any of this float your boat:

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic8786.html

I have just got my hands on a Raspberry PI, which I may try to use to replace my netbook.

I am also trying to sort out aux in for pre 09/2002 BM54 but no-one will answer my call Sad .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #156757 11th Dec 2012 7:26pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Joe's install is one of the ones I was talking about. Daveo has another and MattStevenson's is very impressive (but I don't think he's finished). I have a touch screen overlay and mine is a work in progress as well.

Amp in the boot... It's actually not just the amp, it's the radio unit. The head unit is more or less just a display and remote control. That is one of the probs: you need to run everything - speaker wires, antenna, etc. up to the front to use this aftermarket satnav.

If you upgrade to a MKIV you have a DVD drive with a new nav computer. It can do much more as well - look for mjdronfields pics on what the display can look like with upgraded firmware.

Ultimately you'll do what you want (as you should! Laughing ) but more than one of us has BTDT. And most came to the conclusion that aftermarket is not better. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #156800 11th Dec 2012 10:29pm
alz4321

2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I've replaced the factory nav in my RR for a pioneer touch screen unit (avh8400-bt). Used off the shelf adapters and extended them (the plug you would usually find behind the stereo in the front is in the boot). Steering controls work, screen dims when the lights are switched on etc. I have 3 way passive crossovers in the boot that I am currently running without an amp but all the cables are in ready. The unit is capable of running my rear screens though I haven't connected them yet. It also has an input for reversing camera, tv tuner and ipod. I've mounted my old nav screen in the glovebox to set the clock and retain all of the fuel computer functions. I didn't even have to extend the cables for this just reroute. I took a gamble and ordered a fascia adapter plate for a 5 series (e39) bmw and with a bit of modification it fits though the pioneer unit sits out further than I would like I'm sure other double dins may be better. I would like to paint the facia plate to match in how it should but that will have to wait for now.

Click image to enlarge

Post #156838 12th Dec 2012 5:39am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I quite like that. Looks neat and tidy.

I wonder if baris can do an amp mod to easily integrate to systems like this? 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #156849 12th Dec 2012 8:54am
SteveyD

[quote="Joe90"]Does any of this float your boat:

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic8786.html

quote]

Wow! thats pretty hardcore, yes your install is very good but a little too in depth for what I need. CarPC is a new concept to me, I have seen it (usually on custom tv shows) but never really been too involved. I guess the only limit is your imagination/budget/ability giving you endless pssibilities. I'm not too keen on the idea of having a notebook hidden somewhere in the car to power this lot, I assume thats how it works?

I have also had a good read of mattstevenson's build and hes also quite local to me, his blog doesn't show his project once completed so I assume it died, last update was quite some time ago.

Quote:
If you upgrade to a MKIV you have a DVD drive with a new nav computer. It can do much more as well - look for mjdronfields pics on what the display can look like with upgraded firmware.

I'm slowly coming round to this idea although the cost is quite something (if i'm looking at the correct parts) I figure £800 upwards?

If anyone had part numbers for a plug and play MKIV system that would be a big help, I also see the BMW units are cheaper and easier to come by. I assume a firmware update would remove any BMW logo on start up.

alz4321:- very neat looking aftermarket install, great idea about leaving the display in the glove box. OK so you can't use it as you drive but at least its there and nice to know you can put the system back to standard if you ever wanted to.

I had hoped to find some form of aftermarket trip display that could tap straight into the can and give me things like boost, oil pressure, mpg etc. My golf has a high line display and can easily be adapted. Im using the OEM sat nav unit but even if I wanted to fit aftermarket it really wouldnt be an issue.

Can I just say THANK YOU so far to everyone who has contributed and been patient enough to assist with my questions even though they must have been asked a thousand times.

Post #157155 13th Dec 2012 11:19am
Joe90

England 

The car pc solution gives you the best of both worlds, OEM stuff available and in place when you need it, full A/V capabilities when you don't. Total cost to me was no more than £250 including the netbook, plus my time in setting it all up. There are car pc solutions (software) you can buy off the shelf that do a much better job than my setup, but the other easiest solution is the Baris (forum member and A/V guru) digital TV upgrade, which then allows use of USB sticks for video/mp3. I would get a Mk4 sat nav unit setup first, (all OEM) then perhaps look at what else Baris has to offer in terms of upgrading your existing kit. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #157162 13th Dec 2012 11:50am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

There were no RR or LR MKIVs so you have to go to a BMW unit. Yes, the sw upgrade can remove the BMW logo. There are also progs online that will allow you to edit all sorts of stuff: ad clouds to the sky, radar trap warnings (as POIs), etc.
MattStevenson used to have v32 (the latest for the MKIV) tailored to the RR avail on his site for download - dunno if he still does.
You can also just purchase the sw (and map DVDs) - there are some vendors out there (though it is actually most likely illegal because they are infringing on BMW copyrights).

Costs should be: £300-400 for the MKIV off the bay, ~£250-300 for a BMW ULF (Bluetooth), and similar + for a digital hybrid tuner

If you do a car PC you don't have to go with a laptop: I managed to find 2 of these for ~€100 each:

It is a PC constructed for vehicle environments (cars, trains, etc) with a 1.6GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, and a built in 20GB SSD for the OS. Mine both have 2 secure slots for 16GB USB sticks (memory for whatever), CompactFlash, and an additional HDD (SDD) (and the manufacturer guarantees their operation from -20°C to + 80°C despite the fact that they are fan-less!).

The issue with the OEM head unit is the input possibilities: you are either limited to using a program designed to use the BMW rotary input knob or you have some other input device floating around in the car. I did not want either of these, so I added a touch screen overlay to the monitor.

I will try to find time to do a documentation (I have been meaning to do this for some time...)

Fun stuff... if you're a geek. Whistle 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #157175 13th Dec 2012 12:37pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Baris currently has a Mk4 nav unit for sale, complete with 2013 maps and splash screen of your choice ;

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic14723.html

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #157200 13th Dec 2012 2:08pm
Joe90

England 

Quote:
Fun stuff... if you're a geek. Whistle

Thumbs Up .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #157208 13th Dec 2012 2:35pm
alz4321

2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

The head unit that I have can connect to my phone and you can use (some of) the apps through the head unit. One app you can use is dash command

that will give you access to information on all sorts of things.
I have not got this far yet with it as I've been busy in work so can't say how well it works.
My costs so far are approx
pioneer avh8400bt - £425
Interface inc steering controls adapter - £25
facia plate, crossovers and cabling etc £150
So I'm running a total of about £600 at the moment though I have a few things to get yet.
Wireless headphones for rear screens
reversing camera (for when I'm towing more than reversing as it can be switched on manually)
Amp for the subs in the boot
I could install amps for the front speakers as well but I don't think I'll bother. the sound quality and volume is good enough for me

Post #157492 14th Dec 2012 7:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1