Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Thinking about a Range Rover....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
T1berious

United Kingdom 
Thinking about a Range Rover....

Good Morning,

I'm hoping some of you here can help with your wealth of experience. The time has come to replace our E92 330 and we've been thinking about a Range Rover. We were thinking of getting a 2009 - 2010 model year with less than 45K on the clock.

I just wanted to know what the expected running costs are PA and what are the things we should look out for.

Looking at a TDV8

Oh and as we use our current car as a bike transporter can two mountain bikes comfortably sit in the back with the front wheels off upright? (we use a roof rack on the 3 but I'm guessing getting bikes on top would mean a step ladder!)

Cheers for any tips

T1b Hoping to soon be an RR owner Smile

Post #164566 14th Jan 2013 1:13pm
Lloyd Barnes

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Welcome to the place. I'm looking to upgrade to that era FF later this year so have been looking at similar cars to you.

Main thing you need to be aware of is that age range is smack in the middle of when they facelifted them and upgraded the interior, digital dash, different sat nav etc (some 59 plate, most 10 plates are facelifted). Judging from my investigations, expect to pay about £5k+ more for a facelift. 09 plate low milers are high 20's, facelift cars still well into the £30's.

Re running costs those age cars will still be the 3.6 version of the TDV8 (whether facelift or not), and I get about 27mpg from mine. Servicing costs vary depending on whether you use indy or a dealer. Am presuming dealer from the age so £600+ for a main service seems about right. Being a 4 x 4 the brakes tend to need replacing a bit more often than a car, you are after all stopping 2.7 tonnes! Dealer will charge a fair bit for new discs and pads.

Haven't put bikes in my cream leather Range Laughing but I'd be surprised if they wouldn't fit with the seats down. Lloyd Barnes

Current
Crendon 427 Sideoiler Cobra in build... 7 litres of madness!

Gone
2008 TDV8 Vogue - Black with Ivory/Grand Black Lacquer
2008 VW Touareg 3.0Tdi
6.3litre Dax Cobra - 12.34 Second 1/4mile at 114mph Smile

Post #164585 14th Jan 2013 2:37pm
T1berious

United Kingdom 

Thank you Smile

From some of the things I've read (and my own personal perfs) sourcing a dealer car is the way to go.,if only to get the warranty.

The other option for the bikes is a tow bar mounted bike carrier, but I did see a boot covering that would keep bikes etc well away from the interior Smile.

Thanks for the info about the face lift Smile I had no idea about that Smile

Cheers,

Post #164587 14th Jan 2013 2:53pm
Ajay(UK)

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

The most important thing to do is drive one Wink

And not just for 20 minutes around the block Rolling Eyes You will then know for sure whether it's the car for you but be warned, once you buy one that's it, you will probably never want anything else Laughing

Apart from that, I agree with what has already been suggested, if you are looking for an 09 or 59 plate make sure it's a facelifted one - the changes are well worth it Thumbs Up There will be someone along in a bit who will suggest spending that little bit more on the newer 4.4 V8 diesel and I would agree but only if your budget allows. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the tried and tested 3.6 V8 diesel, it's still a fantastic drive Very Happy

Andy. 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
SWMBO: 22MY Defender 110 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana Stone.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Gone: 2006MY Java Black TD6 Autobiography
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red with Ivory Seats
Gone: 2010MY Stornoway Grey TDV8 Vogue SE with RSE
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2003 Epsom Green 4.4i Vogue, LPG, Mk4 Nav, BMW Bluetooth Phone, Hybrid Tv Tuner,

Post #164641 14th Jan 2013 5:01pm
T1berious

United Kingdom 

Cheers Ajay,

To be honest SWMBO has had her eye on one for a while and as we have a weekend rocket ship it will be our sensible ALL WEATHER car.

Plus she's been a passenger in one and loved the visibility.

We also spend some time in Scotland and after almost getting stranded in heavy snow a few years back we've always said the next will be a 4x4.

Originally it was going to be a variant of Audi 4x4 (A5 etc) but quite like the idea of getting a nice luxury car.

(Especially one that can double as a track toy tower, if / when the need arises Smile) Hoping to soon be an RR owner Smile

Post #164653 14th Jan 2013 5:25pm
JohnnyDangerous

England 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Whats the weekend rocket ship? as a tow car its the best Ive used, the only other one that came close was a 2000 Land Cruiser Amazon. I regularly tow long distances with a large trailer and heavy car. One day your life will flash before your eyes......................................make sure yours is worth watching!

Post #164697 14th Jan 2013 7:21pm
Allan

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Don't think... Just go buy... Censored running costs... They really are that good... Thumbs Up

As Ajay says the problem is you won't be happy with anything else again...!

One thing I found coming from a sport was the big Range Rover has a greater depth of ability but it is a lot more subtle and it will take some time to discover just how good it is.

Post #164713 14th Jan 2013 7:48pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

its the victorinox swiss army knife of cars:

interior quality
luggage space
passenger space, though only 5
towing, one of the best out there, the only luxury car which will tow a full ifor williams 3.5t trailer.(not counting a D4 or RRS)
wont get stuck in a field
wont get stuck, pretty much period, unless you do something really daft.
will wade deep water with ease, as ive had to this year.
cruising performace will sit at over 100mph in comfort (honestly, but don't watch the fuel gauge)
warms itself up in the morning, so its toasty to get into.
heated everything.
view out
view from outside
and on........

go on, get one, you know you wanna.

on a 3.6TDV8 of that age there shouldn't be too much too worry about, however with all these things you pays your money takes you choice. In my mind when I bought my 08My last year, i decided to go for a MD car as the warranty would provide protection against unforeseen spendy, good job too, as it has cost a fair bit in warranty work, nothing major bar the FBH but none the less annoying. Still love it though.

I have just had a sticking caliper replaced so cant comment on the MPG, i drive mostly round town and country lanes so my average is currently low at 21-22mpg, however i am hoping that this will improve with the brakes not now binding a bit. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #164817 14th Jan 2013 10:21pm
RichTDV8

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Corris Grey

master tech told me the 3.6 TDV8 is basically bullet proof. Mines done 100k (80k by me) and it runs as well as it did when i collected it.

drive it carefully but swiftly on motorways, don't slam the brakes, and i get 75k out a set of front discs and 35k out a set of Pirelli Scorpion tyres and 25-26mpg all day long.

10/11 onwards are built by Tata and trust me they are not as well made as the Ford ones ie 59 plates. Friend of mine has the 4.4 Autobiography and there's trim falling off everywhere and the heater control failed coming back from Scotland the other week. Engine and 8 speed box though is awesome and rapid! 3.0 VSE - 2015MY
Corris with Black, RSE, 22 turbines, privacy, deployables

Post #164836 14th Jan 2013 10:59pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

As a mountain biker you have a few options.

With seats down I have had 3 of us in te car with 3 bikes and the front wheels off them but being laid flat. They won't go in stood up on their bars and seats I'm afraid for an MTb or road bike unless a child's one Smile
Roof mounts IMO will be a right pita!
A towbar mounted unit could be a good deal but LR ones are far from cheap and Thule aren't far behind but good value.

I have black/jet/charcoal interior so still pack blankets to cover bikes after a ride.

You get a bit more noise from the boot with the seats down but its not too bad. Just watch any mucky bits near the headlining or interior d pillar trims as well.
Get a cheap fold out picnic blanket and use that on the tailgate to protect its carpet as when your done loading it makes a nice way to cover the bikes as well Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #164845 14th Jan 2013 11:44pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

just buy one - you wont regret Wink All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #164871 15th Jan 2013 10:15am
m3mjw

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

You will pick plenty of info up on here re running costs so i wont bother with that. As far as you Bikes go buy a detachable towbar (or get one thrown in) and but a tow bar fitting carrier. I have a 4 bike carrier on the back which tilts so still allows access to the boot etc. That way also your bikes are not going to scruffy up all that lovely leather and carpet.

I was a BMW man - Not anymore!

Cheers L405 4.4 SDV8 Santorini/Black VSE
L332 4.4 tdv8 stornoway/Ivory VSE gone
L332 3.6 tdv8 black/sand vogue gone
Mk 7 vw golf r black/black(swmbo)
Mini Cooper s grey gone (swmbo)
BMW e60 m5 black/black gone
BMW e46 m3 silver/black gone
BMW e39 525i m sport blue/sand gone
Vw mk 4 golf gti blue/black gone

Post #164893 15th Jan 2013 12:23pm
T1berious

United Kingdom 

Thank you for the info and advice Smile

I think a test drive is very much on the cards and as we have a Thule roof rack we'll probably go for a Thule tow bar bike rack.

Can't really fault the Thule stuff and the fact they are lockable makes all the difference (we tried a cheaper one and the lock was thwarted by a hard stare).

The Rocket Ship is a Z4M Roadster Smile

I think we're pretty much sold, can someone let me know which RR models come with what features as standard for the 2010 model year? We're after the luxo barge pack as near as dammit (heated steering wheel? How cool is that?) were heated rear seats ever standard on a variant?

Cheers again for the valuable info Smile

Post #165085 15th Jan 2013 10:52pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Heated rear seats and a heated steering wheel have been standard on all Vogue models since the L322's inception. Thumbs Up Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #165104 16th Jan 2013 7:29am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

They all come with pretty much everything.

There is a few variations in spec but basicaly trim levels are

Hse, vogue, vogue se, supercharged (vogue Se spec), autobiography.

Hse had disappeared by 2010, vogue has everything you could need, se adds to this with better leather and a couple of extra toys and auto biog is better still.

On a vogue you will get as standard

Nav, heated seats front and rear, heated wheel, fbh, climate in front, adj heat in rear(se gets climate in rear i think), cruise, tv in front, heated screen. And lots of other bits.
Think of it this way:

Vogue: everything you wanted
Vogue se: things you didnt know you wanted
Autobiography: things you didnt know existed

Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #165106 16th Jan 2013 8:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>