Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Coolant leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

I've always had a leak from my LPG system. I got some of these http://buickgn.com/clampsforstock.jpg clamps off eBay to replace the jubilee clips. Haven't got round to doing it yet but will get there at some point. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #160074 26th Dec 2012 6:43pm
Rob2529

I've always had a leak from my LPG system. I got some of these http://buickgn.com/clampsforstock.jpg clamps off eBay to replace the jubilee clips. Haven't got round to doing it yet but will get there at some point. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #160075 26th Dec 2012 6:44pm
SparkyPhil

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Just a quick update, I still have my leak Big Cry. T pieces have been changed also another hose at the back of the block, so for 2 weeks it was dry, then we went to anglesey and just as we arrived it blew a hose off the back of the block.
So I had the car recovered back to the garage, who then replaced the faulty hose, which took 2 weeks to do. I then get the car back and I have still got a leak Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Now the garage have said the cooling system is pressurizing which is the head gasket. I did some more research on here about it and I am not convinced its the HG, so I took it to another garage who did a smoke test on the coolant and said there is nothing in the coolant but coolant Very Happy . He diagnosed the coolant manifold was leaking (which Woodchopper origanally said) coolant manifold gaskets replaced, so I get the car back and the following morning I still have a Censored Leak Big Cry. Now there was a loss of about 2litres overnight, but there was not 2litres under the car. I took it back to the garage who put it on the ramp and we both had a good look around, now 1 of the t pieces was leaking again and there was traces of coolant on the crank sensor wire(I think thats what it was) so has anybody got any suggestions because this is now getting a bit tiring and I am loosing faith in the car and thinking of getting rid. So far I have spent £700 on a leak which I still have, I dont mind spending money to have it fixed but it really boils my p Censored s when I spend money on repairs that haven't solved the problem. I should also mention the car has never overheated and runs like a dream it does not miss a beat.

Post #179488 24th Mar 2013 2:11pm
woodchopper23

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Ipanema Sand

Hi phil,

It could be the Inlet manifold gaskets. They sit on the top of the engine. Rob on here has a picture thread somewhere where he replaced his when he was doing his PCV valve and hoses at the back above the coolant manifold. If you look through my posts you should find it somewhere. It takes a while to get to them and they are hidden away so never really get inspected unless you have a leak like yourself. Ill look for robs thread too. MY2010 TDV8 Vogue Ipanema Sand
2002 V8 Vogue Oslo Blue - Gone.

Post #179775 26th Mar 2013 6:48pm
woodchopper23

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Ipanema Sand

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic6714.h...t+manifold

Here you go phil heres robs post. Its a good one. MY2010 TDV8 Vogue Ipanema Sand
2002 V8 Vogue Oslo Blue - Gone.

Post #179780 26th Mar 2013 6:57pm
Rob2529

Phil
Have you changed your rad? They leak eventually but the fan blows the coolant over the hot engine and you only get a pool under the car when it's totally Censored .
I changed the valley pan after reading some stuff on Beemer.net as it being a common issue. If you get right on top of. He engine with a torch, take the HVAC plenum out for extra room and look down the back left of the inlet plenum. It's one of the few places you can actually get eyes on the valley pan. Easyist way is using a bore scope of some type. You can get them off ebay for about £50. Would be money well spent, as you can always find a use for it.
There are only so many places coolant can leak externally so it's a process of I limitation before it can be the heads (highly unlikely but possible) [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]

Post #179816 26th Mar 2013 9:03pm
SparkyPhil

Thanks for the replies.
It turns out it was the valley pan gasket/seal, I got the car back yesterday and took it for a short run(went mothers to repair her phone extensions), anyhow left the car for about 2hours( I did stuff my face while I was there) and looked underneath before I left and guess what? bloody coolant on the floor Big Cry but not from the rear of the block this time. When I got hot it home and in the garage I had a good look underneath and found coolant on the front corner of the bash plate and on 2 pipes at the front Big Cry. I dried it all off and placed my bowls underneath and left it alone.
Now this morning I looked and low and behold it was dry? So I checked the coolant level expecting the worst and found it to be over full, I have now syphoned the excess coolant out(approx half a litre) and drove it around for most of the day. As it stands at the mo the car is dry it hasn't leaked all day Very Happy but I will be under it 1st thing in the morning to check after its stood overnight, so once again thanks for the replies and I will report what I find.
All the best
Phil

Post #180491 30th Mar 2013 7:51pm
Rob2529

Phil
A little test I was told about was drive like normal and park up and touch Censored all. Go out in the morning and open the expansion tank slowly. If you get a little hiss your sealed. If it doesn't then the pressure is leaking somewhere. Now you have sealed the valley pan you will now start leaking somewhere else. It's Sod's law! I chased mine for 2-3years with it getting smaller and smaller as i tightened or replaced stuff. In the end it was the LPG hose coupling that always wept. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]

Post #180501 30th Mar 2013 8:43pm
SparkyPhil

well I checked the car on Sunday and got coolant underneath and pressure still in the system .Drove it yesterday but not far and this morning its dry. So it seems it is pressure related, the further I go the more it leaks?
Phil

Post #180676 1st Apr 2013 11:12am
SparkyPhil

Well I have finally got to the bottom of my leak. But it turns out the head gasket has gone Big Cry I have now decided to cut my losses and get rid, it is now up for sale advertised as head gasket failure, totally gutted.
All the best Phil

Post #183089 15th Apr 2013 9:28pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

sorry to hear that Phil, good luck with the sale.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #183090 15th Apr 2013 9:30pm
MikeG

Netherlands 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Censored that's bad news Phil...!!
Had a similar issue a while back with another vehicle, in the end I just dumped it and moved on. It was driving me grazy for months before I finally knew where it came from and it seemed it consumed more coolant then fuel in the end.

All the best!! Mike.

2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8, Black, Sand Leather Seats & Sand / Black Interior.
IID Tool from GAP Diagnostics.

Post #183097 15th Apr 2013 9:47pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Sorry to hear mate. Hope it sells soon. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #183111 15th Apr 2013 10:24pm
Rob2529

Ah Censored ! What got you to the HGF conclusion? [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]

Post #183129 16th Apr 2013 7:46am
SparkyPhil

Thanks for all the replies about my car(now sold), it was defo the head gasket, no heat from the heaters when ticking over, cream on the dip stick and you could feel the pressure being pushed through the top hose. Gutted but I have to move on, so today I have taken a step towards the darkside and taken a 3.6v8 sport for a test drive(I was pleasantly suprised by the performance and comfort). I have decided to get another Land Rover but it is going to be a newer, (ie approved used car) from a main stealer. I would have another ff but have not got quite enough money for age and mileage that I would like, so it looks like a sport will be coming my way.
All the best
Phil

Post #183816 20th Apr 2013 7:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>