Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Africa > **Just driven my L322 the length of Africa!**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
RRG

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
**Just driven my L322 the length of Africa!**

We've just completed the Cairo-Cape Town route through Africa, to the best of my knowledge the first time this has been done in a L322. Seems like a good topic for the first post in the Africa section!

(2019 UPDATE: like an idiot I have only just thought to update the links below to the correct ones. Apologies if I have sent people on a wild goose chase over the last few years trying to find the correct trip website and gallery! Doh!)

Some of you may remember that late last year I posed the question "would it be possible to drive a L322 from London, all the way through Africa to Cape Town?"

Well, I'm pleased to announce that the answer to this question is an emphatic YES! and this was is a virtually showroom-spec 2003 Td6 starting out with 80,000 miles already on the clock.

We left London on 2 January and, after 18,000 miles, 19 countries and 5 months we succeeded in our ambition to reach Cape Town. We had an incredible journey and the Range Rover was absolutely magnificent. We took it, fully laden, through hostile, remote and rough territory, high altitudes, high humidity, and vast amounts of dust, grit and sand while running it on uncertain fuel quality, yet it didn't miss a beat. We know of no other vehicle that has completed this journey with so few issues, Landcruisers included! (the only thing that actually went wrong with the car were the parking sensors)

Our routing took us through: France - Switzerland - Italy - Greece - Turkey - Syria - Jordan - Egypt - Sudan - Ethiopia - Kenya - Uganda - Tanzania - Malawi - Zambia - Botswana - Namibia - South Africa - Lesotho

Some of you were kind enough to share your thoughts and advice on this topic before we left and I know others have been following our trip blog. I also learnt a huge amount about the car by trawling through this forum so, now back in London, it is my turn to make a contribution. Hope you enjoy it.

We have developed a very detailed website of our exploits so, rather than make an excessively long post here, I am going to direct you to the bits of the website that may be of interest through the following links:

Expedition Homepage

Expedition photo gallery

How the Range Rover performed in Africa

Range Rover expedition preparation

Expedition trip log

Trip facts & figures

Quite a lot to keep you busy there! I hope you find this interesting and heart-warming to see some emphatic proof that a modern Range Rover - 40 years on from its initial introduction - is still a formidable vehicle in virtually any environment you can imagine. The most capable vehicle in the World? Get's my vote.

Best regards
RRG

Last edited by RRG on 7th May 2019 8:47pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #22077 11th Jul 2010 10:50am
Fox

United Kingdom 

Well done and great pictures.

Was planning Africa in a few years with the family (in my Camel Defender) and now starting to think about taking the FFRR. Very Happy
Not a big trip like you though, just a potter about in Morocco for their first time.

And well done for finally getting first post in the Africa section. Thumbs Up

Post #22118 12th Jul 2010 7:07am
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Absolutely great post and a wonderful journey. A credit to you and the L322 of course.

Thankyou for sharing this with us all Thumbs Up

Now, any other trips planned to really test the RR Whistle Wink Laughing

Post #22125 12th Jul 2010 9:51am
Fox

United Kingdom 

I meant to ask...

Did you alter the air intake in any way?

How did it fare as I've had concerns about it filling up with dust/sand quickly and effecting performance.

I did take my Disco2 TD5 air filter out once a week in those conditions, bang it out and put it back. But not sure that's ideal.

Post #22128 12th Jul 2010 10:00am
Macdaddy

2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

Some great pics and looks like it was alot of fun!

Altho the picture with a donkey drawn in dust on your bonnet sends my OCD into over drive thinking about swirls its created Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed TDV8 HST Sport **Current**

4.4 V8 Autobiography and 22" wheels **Gone**

Post #22253 13th Jul 2010 8:02pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

wow,wow,wow and wow again, what a trip, did landrover help you with the trip. that must of been a real eye opener. great photos and well done, what was the cost of the speeding tickets... V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #22256 13th Jul 2010 8:28pm
RRG

Fox - finally answered your question on air intake in the main forum. Sorry - forgot to check this sub-forum!

Post #22271 13th Jul 2010 10:39pm
RRG

Fox, if you take your Td6 to Morocco (great idea by the way - keen to do it myself) then you will need to get a dreaded "carnet de passage" from the RAC. Very expensive for our vehicles. PM me if you want some advice how to go about this - I spent hours looking into it and can save you the same hassle and quite a bit of expense.

Post #22272 13th Jul 2010 10:43pm
RRG

Full Fat, I must admit I've got the expedition bug! One day I fancy a crack at the pan-American highway from Anchorage to Tierra del Fuego (although I think I'd ship around the Darien Gap!). Alternatively I think Paris - Peking is well within the FFRR capabilities...

Fancy coming? Laughing

Post #22273 13th Jul 2010 10:45pm
RRG

Macdaddy, believe it or not I'm a bit OCD as well - doesn't mix well with taking a car through Africa! The car was *pristine* before we left but I had to accept it would pick up some 'patina' en route. It's survived very well, much helped thanks to Permaguard paintwork protection applied last year.

Unfortunately even that could prevent the paintwork scuffs the bl**dy Egyptians inflicted on it on the crappy barge across Lake Nasser from Aswan to Sudan. Don't think that will be too difficult to rectify though.

Post #22274 13th Jul 2010 10:52pm
RRG

Daveo - no help from LR at all on preparation or costs.

Got stopped speeding 6 times in Africa and talked my way out of 4. The other two were about a tenner each. A few cops stopped us just to bribe us but they didn't get anything more than a bit of left over chocolate.

Tanzania was the real hot-spot for police on the road, always jumping out of a bush with a damn radar gun...

Post #22275 13th Jul 2010 10:55pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Quote:
"carnet de passage" from the RAC. Very expensive for our vehicles.

One thing I like about Morocco is that you don't need a Carnet for the vehicle. Just a temporary importation form at the border. As Europe has become expensive more and more people seem to be going there.
Thanks for the offer of help though.

With regards to the air intake, I think you are right. It's amazing how much sand/dust the standard filter can hold while still not losing any engine performance. Found that in my disco2. Didn't want to cut a hole for the snorkle as I was selling it when I got back. Laughing

One other concern I had was roof loading. A couple of jerry cans, a spare wheel and a roof tent is probably about 130kg-140kg. Well in excess of the recommended maximum roof load. Yet I still had no issues with the Td5 rack mountings.

How did you find the FFRR roof rack/bar mountings?

I'd probably use a roof tent again as you did on this great trip.
Thanks again for sharing. Thumbs Up

Post #22302 14th Jul 2010 10:43am
RRG

That is great to hear about Morocco and the Carnet, makes a trip there way easier/cheaper. How/where do you cross from Spain? Is there a regular ferry?

The roof loading thing was a bit of a concern - Land Rover quote a maximum roof loading of 50kg. Well that's great because our roof rack weighed 50kg!! So theoretically that gave us zero allowance for anything else.

In reality we ran with a Hannibal roof rack (50kg), Hannibal roof tent (60kg), Hannibal awning (15kg), spare wheel and tyre (30kg), 40litres spare diesel (40kg) and a few other miscellaneous bits and bobs giving an all up weight of around 200kg, or 4x LR recommended maximum! When we used the roof tent there was a further 160kg of static loading on the roof!

Despite taking all this down rough roads, which really puts a strain on the mountings, the Range Rover 'rack mounting system seemed to be more than up to the job. Which is more that can be said of the Hannibal mounting brackets, two of which broke in Northern Kenya after the really rough road and I had to fashion replacements out of angle iron.

By the way, I was initially going to use the genuine RR expedition roof rack but it's next to impossible to mount a roof tent properly and, because it sits so close to the roof, difficult to mount jerry can holders and spare wheel mounts as well. The Hannibal roofrack was actually the one they fit on Disco 3s. Mounting brackets apart, its a good bit of kit.

Conclusion from all this: LR guidance on roof loading is ridiculously conservative

Post #22381 15th Jul 2010 9:31am
Fox

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that.

There are regular ferrys from Algeciras to Ceuta (still Spain) and Tanger.
I used the Ceuta one as you still land in Spain on the Africa coast. Then you drive down the road to the customs point outside the town.

Post #22382 15th Jul 2010 9:36am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Great to see that someone has tried to use the FFRR to do this overland Africa trip and help debunk the bad reputation that LRs have on reliability. I have a Landcruiser company car that is going in and out of the shop almost montly and my RR Supercharged has only had maintenance done on it.
I currently live in Nigeria and am planning a similar but than starting here, first go up and then come down to Cape Town. So any information on RR preparation and other travel tips are very welcome (especially, how to ensure fuel going into a very thirsty engine during the long hauls Smile ).
So please keep posting info as much as you can !!!

Post #56365 24th Mar 2011 8:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>