Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > trans failsafe prog
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alib123

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
trans failsafe prog

Hi Guys. Im 6months into rr ownership and up until now have sorted myself all the little niggles a 10 year old car of this type has. Everything on my rr works fine until today!

I have been getting a slight noise around 40mph which sounds like a rumble of a base speaker. I can see on here that it may be the torque converter on its last legs?

Anyways, today I was driving upto a junction and stopped normally. On re-acceleration the gearbox banged into gear and trans failsafe prog appeared on the dash. I limped around the corner in what seemed like 4th gear and googled what to do. After switching the ignition off and on again the fault cleared and the car runs smooth again. Gear change is smooth up and down the box?? The only issue now seems to be on kickdown, the change is a bit more aggressive than it was before, more bangs into gear than it did before.

Does this seem like its all related to the torque converter or something more serious? Ive not had the trans safe error come up again even when it bangs on kick down?

Many thanks in advance and apologies that my first post is all questions, but ive been told that there are some very knowledgeable people on here.

Post #231890 29th Dec 2013 6:18pm
alib123

anyone have any ideas??

Post #231984 30th Dec 2013 1:47pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Your ‘bass speaker’ rumble may well be caused by wear in the torque converter lock-up clutch but this doesn’t usually cause other issues with the 5HP24 and you could potentially continue for thousands of miles yet with the lock-up clutch in this condition and not cause any damage.

I believe that your TRANS FAILSAFE PROG message is a separate issue. Whenever this message appears you should always eliminate

a) low battery voltage (by checking it’s around 14V at tickover)
b) a faulty transfer box shift motor potentiometer (by checking you can select low range and then reselect high range successfully)

as possible causes first before considering if you have a transmission problem.

If it is a transmission problem, for example the usual ‘bearing then O-ring failure’ issue, you will need to see if the fault repeats itself and, in particular, if it’s related to the transmission fluid temperature i.e. only occurs longer than 20 minutes after from starting from cold. You also need to determine whether the transmission fails safe into 4th gear or 5th gear as this is significant (it tells you whether it’s an A-clutch issue). 4th is geared at 23mph per 1000rpm and 5th at 29mph per 1000rpm.

Phil

Post #232331 2nd Jan 2014 11:13am
alib123

Thanks for your help and info Phil. I have followed your advice and can report the following.
The trans fail safe message doesn't appear at all on a 30 min to 1hr run if driven normal and steady upto 30mph around town.
It does however come on if you do any sudden hard acceleration/deceleration and locks into 4th gear. That said, I turned her off and on again to clear the fault and took her for a spirited run from cold . Trans message came on after approx 15 mins of country lane driving and again locked into 4th.
Does this narrow things down?
Thanks again

Post #233407 7th Jan 2014 2:37pm
alib123

Sorry forgot to mention, can select hi low with no problems (obv not when locked in trans safe) and battery is fine.

Post #233408 7th Jan 2014 2:39pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

If your transmission fails safe to 4th gear then it would appear that your A-clutch is okay. Fluid temperature dependency usually indicates internal seal leakage. I think the best thing to do next would be to get the codes read, but you would need to use a high level diagnostics kit like Testbook/T4 or Autologic to get the Land Rover specific transmission fault codes, and not just some generic OBD kit

Phil

Post #233890 9th Jan 2014 9:53pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Mine showed up this message, only did it once a few days ago. All I did was charge the battery up on trickle charge, was told to check battery, even though it is new.
So far all is well, gentle driving and hard acceleration, seem ok at the moment. Thumbs Up If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #233902 9th Jan 2014 11:26pm
alib123

Update, looks like its a problem with the hydraulics and the b clutch. Ive been quoted £2500 plus vat for a full rebuild. I cannot afford that so does anyone know or recommend anyone in essex/kent to do the work?

Post #234808 14th Jan 2014 3:18pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Do you happen to know what fault code led them to believe there was a problem with your B-clutch? I’ve never heard of a 5HP24 'failing safe' to a gear that required the clutch that it had just detected a fault with. The B-clutch is used in 4th gear & 5th gear, of course.

Phil

Post #234832 14th Jan 2014 4:44pm
alib123

Hi Phil, I dont know the fault code yet, sorry. He just said that it locked into 3rd on his test run and when he diagnosed it it said hydro prob and b clutch. Il try to find out more. Im also looking for an exchange unit as this maybe cheaper option thsn rebuilding mine

Post #234846 14th Jan 2014 5:29pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Could it be gearbox overheating that would explain the hard driving factor. I have known these symptoms before....

Post #234872 14th Jan 2014 8:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1