Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > sat nav screen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mark_j

2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
sat nav screen

So, driving back from Gatwick the other evening, slightly tired, was struggling due to the brightness of the screen, fumble through settings and found no way to switch to "night mode" surely not, even me old jag screen went black when lights came on. -----------------------------------------------------------
Got: FFRR 2007 TDV8 Stornaway
Nissan 350z
GSXR1000 K5
CBR1100xx
XR400
Had:
Jag XF
Merc E320
Volvo XC90

Post #240817 7th Feb 2014 4:43pm
stu

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

use voice control and just turn it off if its too bright, or press the top left hand button to get into the settings, there is a button to turn the screen off there and also a settings button next to it to adjust the brightness. Current: TDV8 (3.6) RRS HSE

Past: TDV8(4.4) Vogue
Discovery 3 Commercial
TDV8(3.6) Vogue
TD6 Vogue
D2 V8 ES
D1 V8 ES
RR Vogue Classic

Post #240846 7th Feb 2014 7:25pm
Glynn

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

Stupid question but here goes
If you turn the screen off in the menu, how do you turn it back on ?, I assume when the ignition is turned on/off it would repower it ?.

Post #241002 8th Feb 2014 12:16pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

Just touching the screen turns it back on.

Post #241006 8th Feb 2014 12:49pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

Got to say that for a premium car not having a different set of map colours for night time use is pretty poor. In fact all of the touchscreen features all run with a light coloured background which is great for day time use but a real pain in the Ar Censored e at night on unlit roads.

Ideally for night time use the entire display graphics should load a different set of colours and use a black or much darker background. I find that driving on unlit roads in the dead of night the screen display is too bright and even dimming it does not totally solve the issue as using the same graphics for day and night time is a compromise at best. It does amaze me that LR did not just build in a second set of graphics that switch in when the headlights are turned on, surely its not rocket science for them to have done this.

A tend to just use the voice control command " Display Off" at night which kind of defeats the whole purpose of having the screen there I guess, but rather that than have my night vision impaired by a screen distracting my vision. I am pretty sure if they used a black background the night time glare effect from the screen would be drastically reduced.

Post #241010 8th Feb 2014 1:03pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

why not just turn the brightness down in the display settings..

Post #241013 8th Feb 2014 1:19pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

Stan, while that is an option it kind of misses the point. If even a £50 sat nav system can have a night time mode it kind of makes the LR system implemented look a bit poor. Do you not think a better choice of colours for night time use when the headlights are activated or via the auto headlamp feature would make the system far better. It just seems to me that LR could have done a much better job.

After all if they use a night time mode in the Jag and most other systems then surely someone thinks that it's a better idea. Seems to me that turning the brightness down is a workaround to a poorly thought out sat nav / info screen.

Post #241021 8th Feb 2014 2:23pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i understand where you're coming from prop and the brightness could have been linked to the lights but its only a few clicks the screen brightness can be adjusted...
if there was a auto night time mode you'd get peeps moaning that they cant see the screen at night..

Post #241026 8th Feb 2014 2:51pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Agree with the lack of night colours, even the mrs skoda has it, i just turn it off at night with the steering wheel voice control,

Press button until it beeps
Hold it down
Say "display off"

Job done.

Would be nice to see the nav at night though but voice directions are enough... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #241049 8th Feb 2014 4:48pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

Stan, your missing the original point that Mark was reffering to. Mark was trying to work out why his old Jag has a black based night screen mode that kicks in with headlamp use but the RR stays with a white brighter white/cream type background. This is the point in question and while using the screen settings to dim the display at night is an option it is a long way from ideal for a premium brand like the RR.

From what I can tell the RR already seems to automatically dim the display greatly compared to day use already, the key thing that seems to be missing is the display needs to use a different set of colours at night specifically designed for night use, which avoids using bright background colours. So instead of the current use of the same colour set for both day and night RR should have used a the current colours for daytime use and then a secondary set like black/blue/red for night time use

Post #241051 8th Feb 2014 4:54pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i agree the FF should have a night mode ...what i'm suggesting that if you have to select night mode then you might as well select a lower brightness ....having a night mode on auto can present other problems ..i use a tomtom in my wifes car and i find the night mode to dark, but then i find the normal mode at night in the FF ok, it doesnt bother me...

mark was suffering due to the screen brightness, all he had to do was to dim the screen via the display settings..

Post #241057 8th Feb 2014 5:28pm
Prop

United Kingdom 

I wonder how difficult it would be to modify the software to have a night time mode. Do you think anyone has ever tried it?

Post #241060 8th Feb 2014 5:49pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i dont think any one has ..if no one has managed to get something simple as speedcam poi's onto the nav then we have no hope in something more intricate as a firmware mod..

Post #241065 8th Feb 2014 6:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1