Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Cheap oil service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
netsonic Steve

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Epsom Green
Cheap oil service

I did a basic service today due to a break in the weather, oil, oil filter and air filter with 6000 miles since my last one.
Managed to get 10L of 5w40 for £20 from a local garage selling it off cheap + Mann oil filter of the bay means the oil service was £25, not bad me thinks............ Thumbs Up
The air filter was also from the bay last August and another bargain as i like to do this every service as they seem to get really black and dirty on the L322's and easy to do so makes sense.......
I then gave the old girl a bath as its had many weeks of neglect due to the wet and windy weather, even did an engine rinse and dress so it looks as good as new..............well until it rains again Shocked
Good day all round sun shining, no wind and a shiny and serviced RR................time for a JD or two and sit back and admire a good days work............. Rolling with laughter

Post #243001 16th Feb 2014 7:01pm
Scottyav

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Nice one I would do the same makes you feel good when you do a job on the RR and think of how much some pay the stealers or other expensive places I gulp when I see some pay 50 quid an hour plus on labour, good job that man Thumbs Up Thumbs Up _____________________________________________________
Zambezi silver Vogue Se unique Smile

Post #243011 16th Feb 2014 7:11pm
J90

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Engine rinse and dress?
I've thought about it but have been a bit wary of rinsing down anything in the engine bay even with the guidance from the Detailing World forum. Did you literally give a slight rinse and follow that up with a detailing product? It's a genuine question Steve.
Ta, Chris Travelling around in circles again.

Post #243013 16th Feb 2014 7:13pm
netsonic Steve

In essence yes, i use very low pressure hose spray to rinse any grit and dust, dont over do this, let this dry for a bit then use basic tyre foam and coat the whole engine bay again let this do its bit and use a cloth to wipe surplus and get even coat then leave to dry then last but not least i use Meguiars engine dressings to finish the job and again use a cloth to blend and wipe any surplus............... Thumbs Up
Not only looks good but i think it reduces or slows down corrosion on clips and fixings in the engine bay, ive done it on all my cars and compared to a mate who had a a 2006 jeep that he never did a thing in the engine bay his looked more rusty and decayed than a fiat in a breakers yard.....................mind you it was a Jeep..... Rolling with laughter

Post #243023 16th Feb 2014 7:28pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Re: Cheap oil service

What about the breather next to the air filter? Often gets forgotten Thumbs Up

Post #243088 16th Feb 2014 11:45pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

just after Xmas, Halfords had an ad on the TV saying pots of oil £10................... so, as I happened to be going to the B+Q next door, I went in, and got two 4l own brand 5w 40 pots for just £10 each. it is complient ACEA A3/B3 so I figured it was fine. I had a spare filter from my previous Europarts oil change where you get an oil filter free with every 5l oil pot bought. so I actually changed my oil and filter for just £20
that was just what I needed after an Xmas spend!!

-don't worry, I didn't buy any silly air fresheners, 'perfumed' diluted screenwash or overpriced batteries. not even one of those silly car number plate 'name' keyrings. - I promise!

Post #243096 17th Feb 2014 1:22am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

You did didn't you Wink 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #243106 17th Feb 2014 9:53am
netsonic Steve

who would have thought a basic service on such a car can be so cheap................johnboyairey can i claim the prize for the cheapest as my oil was 2x5L Thumbs Up .........top trumps Laughing

Cam Tech, good call on the breather filter, changed mine a while back for the modified non foam version..........all good Very Happy

Post #243253 17th Feb 2014 10:45pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Thumbs Up

Post #243264 18th Feb 2014 12:29am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

yes, cost wise, Sonic, you are leading at the 5l x2 calculation. -(oil filter excluded) I still had some dregs to use up, so 2x 4L was plenty... -at that price.
ahhh, it used to be that I noticed that chocolate bars seem small these days, or is it my bigger sausage finger hands..... oil pots are smaller at 4L the same way. except they make them all sloping so they look fuller. nnot likr the old 5L tall tins.... I guess its so the saxocorsa boys don't need so much for their sewing machine engine.

going back to chocolate. I used to buy a Curly Wurly, for 3p - it was as long as my forearm.

switching again back to servicing. I bought some pink anti freeze in eurocarparts last week, it was on the shelf listed at (I think) £19 per 5l (concentrate) but it rang up as about £9.90ish per 5L similar (but not same as to the 'readymix shyte' price... so I changed the coolant for £20 and some left. with the concentrate, about 7.5L, and some spare etc. no discount code quoted etc.
I must have dog poo on my boots this month, as its going great.....

WHAT DID I JUST SAYYYYYY>> Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #243271 18th Feb 2014 2:29am
Cam-Tech-Craig

going back to chocolate. I used to buy a Curly Wurly, for 3p - it was as long as my forearm. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Im sure that was quoted in William Roach's trial Laughing Or was it Jimmy Saville Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Sorry, could't resist... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #243281 18th Feb 2014 8:52am
netsonic Steve

and in true winter Olympics style we are off piste Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Sheep Mr. Green

Post #243430 18th Feb 2014 8:40pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Sorry sir Bow down Bow down Bow down Ner Ner Laughing Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #243482 18th Feb 2014 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1