Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Compressor repair kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ppcsl

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Autobiography Td6 Java Black

Hi Steve, thanks for the the offer but I need to try and get something done pretty soon. I had the hard fault reset by my local garage on Friday and today even before I got out of my dirt track the air sus inactive was back hard fault.
Luckily the front hasn't dropped to the bump stops like it did last week so I can still drive it. I will be checking the pump at th weekend as I have bitten the bullet and bought the kit.
I have also ordered a GAP iidtool today from isl 4x4 so I will have it to reset the hard fault to give me a bit of breathing space to get the correct bits for the pump.
G Traded in my Audi TT 225 for my Range Rover TD6 Autobiography in Java Black. Range Rover now sold.

Post #251802 31st Mar 2014 8:47pm
stevegt

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

As discussed I believe the repair kit is for the older style compressor (pre 06MY facelift). There isn't a repair kit for the new style compressor. The new model compressor was superseded in 2012 by a different manufacturer and as such the EAS ECU will need to be updated to function correctly, that said I still haven't updated mine yet and it is working okay. As you have ordered an IIDTool you can do this without going to the workshop. To check which variant if the new compressor you have is easy. Open the turtle shell in the boot (4x 8mm bolts) and look at the chassis of the compressor. A metal chassis is the old variant (made in Stratford upon Avon), the new one is predominantly plastic (made by Arc).

If you need to purchase a compressor it comes as a kit with the EAS control relay, this must be fitted when fitting a new compressor. The compressor kit is £372 cost price plus VAT so you won't see much change out of £525 depending where you source yours from...

To change the compressor over is easy, don't let a dealer con you into paying 1.5 hrs labour (it takes a novice around 20min to complete). The procedure is to remove the turtle shell, disconnect the 4 electrical connectors. For the old metal chassis compressor locate the single pipe entering the compressor cylinder and push in the metal collar to release the pipe. The new plastic chassis compressor uses a barb and if very difficult to remove, trial and error is required here. Then release the compressor solenoid valve from the chassis. Undo the last 4 8mm bolts to release the compressor from the boot floor. Refit in the reverse and tighten all bolts to 10NM.

Lastly change the relay over in the riverside boot compartment fuse board there should be a label in there to direct you to the correct relay, it was the top row far right for me.

Steve 06MY 4.4 V8 Autobiography Cairns Blue with Navy & Parchment Interior

Post #251812 31st Mar 2014 9:18pm
ppcsl

Hi Steve, thanks for the mini write up. Thumbs Up I will give it a check on Saturday. Hopefully the iidtool will be here and I can get the thing reset. I will also be able to open it and check to see if the kit is the correct one or not without worrying that the suspension will be deflated and no way to reset or fix.
Over the last 8 months I have spent over £5000 to keep this thing on the road. I could have had a shinnier newer TDV8 if I had only known.
Big Cry

George Traded in my Audi TT 225 for my Range Rover TD6 Autobiography in Java Black. Range Rover now sold.

Post #251842 31st Mar 2014 11:32pm
stevegt

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Quote:
Over the last 8 months I have spent over £5000 to keep this thing on the road.

What the hell have you had go wrong?!? 06MY 4.4 V8 Autobiography Cairns Blue with Navy & Parchment Interior

Post #251843 31st Mar 2014 11:55pm
Joe90

England 

Bagpipe Andy's video

#t=502 .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #251850 1st Apr 2014 3:08am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Useful video Thumbs Up

Is it worth putting a link to it in the Wiki?

Post #251860 1st Apr 2014 9:16am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

done , in wiki now.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #251862 1st Apr 2014 9:29am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Thumbs Up

Post #251863 1st Apr 2014 9:51am
ppcsl

Hi Steve, well about £1200 to get it through its MOT in July last year then £400 for 4 new tyres plus £80 for fitting(granted wear and tear), £3000 for recon gearbox and injector, £55 for 2nd hand amp, £120 for new battery, £25 for compressor repair kit (hopefully not a waste) £270 for iiDtool so I don't have to keep paying for resets and code clearing.

I have also figured out how to reset the hard air sus inactive fault without a tool, you just tear down the dual carriageway at about the legal limit Whistle and it automatically resets, well thats what happened to me this morning. It has stayed working ever since. I have to point out the hard fault was on but the ride height was at the standard so no fear of exploding bump stops. The radio now stays on and allows me to change volume and channel from the steering wheel and from the touch screen. Happy days I hope unless the car was playing an April fool on me and I go out tomorrow and it is back Big Cry .

I've told it if it doesn't stop it's nonsense I will never put it through the expensive car wash that waxes all the bits no one should see. Rolling with laughter

George Traded in my Audi TT 225 for my Range Rover TD6 Autobiography in Java Black. Range Rover now sold.

Post #252005 1st Apr 2014 8:25pm
ppcsl

Anybody asked bagpipeandy to do a deal on here? Traded in my Audi TT 225 for my Range Rover TD6 Autobiography in Java Black. Range Rover now sold.

Post #252007 1st Apr 2014 8:29pm
Joe90

England 

Received kit from Andy today, quality (and I never use that word lightly) through and through. Excellent written and photographic instructions, all the parts one needs (even though with an early car I only need the piston ring and the rubber seal, I have all the clips etc) makes it an easy repair. Looking forward to renovating my compressor and rising from access without a reservoir error pinging up! .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #252054 1st Apr 2014 9:32pm
ppcsl

Yeah Joe I got my kit today and it looks really well made. I had checked out hi web site at the wekend and his instruction videos are excellent and straight to the point.

Post #252088 1st Apr 2014 10:47pm
Joe90

England 

Fitted my new piston today. All straight forward, takes a bit more pressure to remove and fit the ring than appears on the video, which is worrying as you think you might snap it, but all OK. Fair bit of scoring in my cylinder, and just a bit of corrosion around the O ring area.

Refitted and started up. car threw @ 5 errors whilst testing all related to compressor exhaust and temperature. Reset with IIDTool and all seems well, but no apparent improved performance of movement between heights.

Maybe I have a problem with the reservoir ? .
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Post #252921 5th Apr 2014 1:34pm
ppcsl

I did mine today as well and it seems to have made a difference. It rises and drops really well and the compressor is now really quiet. I seem to be on a role here two things fixed for peanuts. logic 7 amp ebay £55 refurb kit for compressor £25. Long may this last.
I agree with what you said Joe about the pressure you need to put on the new ring to get it on I was a bit worried I would snap it in two. Traded in my Audi TT 225 for my Range Rover TD6 Autobiography in Java Black. Range Rover now sold.

Post #253010 5th Apr 2014 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12