Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Venturecam cradle comes down...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rangie4fun

Austria 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Barolo Black
Venturecam cradle comes down...

Hi all you FF folks,

This week the sidesteps, filters (for service) and IID tool arrived; so I won't get bored these days Very Happy But if ..... then I have another thing to do and that is to fix the problem that the venturecam cradle is constantly coming down (falls open so won charge the cam. Anyone has this before? And what is the fix? And most of all how can I open the surroundings so I can get to it? Question

BR from a proud and fresh FF owner!

Post #253910 11th Apr 2014 9:16pm
Playsatan

Scotland 

I have this issue also. I'm going to attempt to fix it with some velcro sticky pads to help hold it in place.

Post #253928 11th Apr 2014 10:34pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I also suffer from this, I currently workaround by stuffing the microfibre cloth I use to clean the screen underneath the cradle so I would be interested if anyone has a proper fix or even a better workaround. Geoff

Post #253984 12th Apr 2014 10:09am
appj62

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Tear off a bit of beer mat and stuff it up the side to keep cradle shut. Cheap fix! Previous cars:
S-Max 2007-2013 (only diesel I've had, good car but expensive when diesely bits go wrong, so what's the point?)
Galaxy 2001-2007
Mondeo Estate 1997-2001
Sierra Estate 1993-1997
Uno Turbo 1987 -1993
Fiesta 1984 - 1987
Fiat 127 1982 - 1984

Post #254165 13th Apr 2014 9:51am
Rangie4fun

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your creative solutions Thumbs Up but I tend to go for a sustainable solution in the long run. So want to open the whole thing and get to it to investigate the problem. Anyone out there who has some information about dismatling the surroundings to get to the mechanism of the cradle?
Question

Thanks!

Post #254671 16th Apr 2014 8:00am
supershuttle

Mine is now fixed with velcro, also tried the beermat - both work. However if it can be fixed properly that would be better so I'll be watching for any updates. Geoff

Post #254680 16th Apr 2014 8:31am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

^ Laughing

Oh Geoff Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Bow down Laughing

Post #254691 16th Apr 2014 9:32am
Rangie4fun

Hi Geoff,

Found this on the tube; mainly the first part might be of interest. Going to give it a try one of these days.

#aid=P9cj3q8kzv4

Post #254807 17th Apr 2014 8:12am
supershuttle

^^^^
Very useful, mines a later dash but the basics are probably the same. I also need to wrap the grey area round the Sat Nav but I'll need to do it all when SWMBO isn't around otherwise I get no peace. "Playing with your car again - what is it this time blah blah blah"
Thanks Thumbs Up Geoff

Post #254813 17th Apr 2014 9:09am
Rangie4fun

Hi

Done this morning: it's fixed! Razz

Here my step by step guide

1. dismantle the vent, cupholder and side panel as described in the youtube link I posted earlier. I found it better to remove the side panel first, in that way you can push the vent from behind after releasing the 4 clips in the vent.
2. then remove the 2 screws in the underside of the footwell panel (the one that is nearest to the cradle is holding the cradle)

3. remove any foot mats and then remove the panel that covers the lower side of the A-post: best started with a lever (plastic) in the top at the door rubber (next 3 photo)

4. Then undo the resting two torx screws; one at the under outer side and one at the side (behind the side panel)

5. Now be carefull: open the glovebox and then you can see the attachments on that side of the cradle: these are slid-in fixings (one at the top of the cradle pointing at it with a screwdriver on the next photo, and one at the bottom, not visible) so the only way to undo them, is to gently pull the panel towrds the floor/seat of the car.

5. Now the cradle comes losse and you can unplug the electrical plugs (2); the big one has a clip that has to be pushed in to come loose.

6. Now the cradle can be pulled out completely. Look at the backside and you'll see 6 or 7 screws. Undo them all and seperate the parts (housing and cradle)
7. After that you'll see 2 srews at the back of the cradle; also undo these en pull out the mechanism

8. Now look at the mechanism and you can see that there is only one side that must keep the cradle closed and the thing is made of plastic and it only has about twice a millimeter hook to hold that thing. No wonder that these hooks get rounded by using them!

9. I fixed this by sharpening these hooks again by filing them; it keeps the door really shut Very Happy

10. Putting alltogheter again is straightforward execept for the thing that I took off the panel that holds the window airbag because it is impossible to put the wood back without damaging this part (I allready did a little damege to it by dismantling the wood in the first place: so best t remove this thing before touwing anything else).

All it took, with taking pictures etc was about 1½ hour.
Now have a ventureucam that is always loaded and ready to use! Thumbs Up

Post #254980 18th Apr 2014 1:26pm
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Good write up - thanks (mine is OK at the moment, but it's only a matter of time.... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #254981 18th Apr 2014 1:30pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Very good work sir Thumbs Up Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #254983 18th Apr 2014 1:47pm
Joe90

England 

Nice work Rangie4fun, this might get wiki'd too Thumbs Up

What a ridiculous mechanism for holding the thing shut. Destined for failure from the start!

Might it be possible to fashion and fix a small metal plate over the pointy bit to prevent future wear ? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #254985 18th Apr 2014 2:19pm
Rangie4fun

Yes, it was a Rangie day! Fixed the cradle, blocked the EGR (cleaned it out and re-installed in the closed position and blocking the exhaust to EGR with a small metal sheet, and blocking the vacuumpipe) and finally did some leather cleaning and palying with the IID tool (chirp on closing and clearing all the stored faults).

Indeed it is a ridiculous mechanism. I guess it is not easy to fix a small metall plate over the pointy bit (I think it's too small). In case it has worn too much I'd rather make a new point out of aluminium and should try to bond or screw it to the body. Hope my fix will last for another decade Rolling Eyes

Post #255005 18th Apr 2014 4:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1