Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > L322 Rear Mud Shields replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Semperfidlas

England 2005 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver
L322 Rear Mud Shields replacement

Hi
Has anyone had to replace the rear mud shields on their L322 if so how? can it be done without having to remove the wheel drive flange.
Assuming it can't I'll have to remove the drive flange to facilitate installation of the shield, is it just a case of undoing the stake nut ( what size is that I think its 38mm ) and then pulling the drive flange off the splined shaft, will it come away cleanly without disturbing the bearing or rupturing any seals, and will it go back together easily.
Has anyone even attempted this job any information relating to this task would be helpful.

Post #267827 28th Jun 2014 3:16pm
47p2

Scotland 

If you mean the backplates then it's a big job as the complete hub assembly has to be removed from the vehicle, then the hub complete with bearings have to be removed from the assembly, then when you have fitted the new backplates you need to have the steering alignment done as the adjustment bolts have been removed. Oh and whilst you're in there it would be worth changing the rear rose bushes...

Have fun Whistle

Post #267841 28th Jun 2014 6:03pm
Full Fat Ray

Wales 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Why are you having to replace these? if it is because of removing the disk without slackening the adjuster, there is a thread on here somewhere showing how to repair the broken location pins in situ, saving you from a very big (and expensive) job. Thumbs Up 2006 (56 Reg) 4.4 V8 Vogue In Bonatti Grey (Gorgeous!!)

Post #267849 28th Jun 2014 6:27pm
Semperfidlas

England 2005 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

The back plate has rusted out round the shoe pins locating hole nothing more I've read joe 90 post about doing front ones in situ and he suggests the rear could be done the same way however I'm not so sure because of the backplates being an integral part of the hand brake system.
I was hoping that I could just pull the drive flange off the splines to get access to the back plates to change them if there is a fix on here I'll definitely consider using it.
Cheers

Post #267895 28th Jun 2014 10:42pm
Joe90

England 

I believe the handbrake parts are fixed to more solid metal than the dustguard! My repair/bodge on the front dustguards won't help with the shoe pin holes, but I suppose a similar approach might work if you find some suitable washers and bend then to fit the recess for the shoe pins to nestle in.

On reviewing my photos of the rear brakes the rear dustguard appears to be held in place by @ 4 x 13mm bolts and a metal ring. If you undo these not sure how wiggly the dustguard gets to allow a cut and remove. If this could work then new ones can be fitted back in the same way.

Just going on what I can see in photos, have not done this, so don't take my word for it. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #267922 29th Jun 2014 1:06am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

They are a nightmare!!! We have tried cutting a new one in half and welding it back together (which really didn't work at all well) i would suggest maybe cutting the handbrake recesses out and welding just them in?

The driveshafts need pushing out with a special tool etc etc etc lots & lots of work to change a bit of tin! Rolling Eyes

Post #267966 29th Jun 2014 11:11am
Joe90

England 

If just the shoe pin holes are the problem, perhaps make up some "inserts" and get them welded in ? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #268005 29th Jun 2014 4:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1