Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > icarsoft i930 mini review and other scanners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
corinthian99

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
icarsoft i930 mini review and other scanners

Hello and welcome to the end result of my time consuming search for a scanner (for want of a better word) tool for my newly acquired 2003 RR.

Like many of you I quickly found a need for something to allow me to read DTCs and reset the s Censored dding EAS system - at £25 per visit to the local garage that could get old real quick. So spent many a happy hour trawling this forum, various suppliers websites and the bay of e. For all the suppliers out there reading this - might not hurt to improve the clarity of your websites and perhaps do a couple of helpful youtube vids (yes Mr Lynx that was directed at you) demonstrating your product comprehensively.

The search seemed to boil down to three general options; firstly a dedicated RR unit costing in excess of £300 (IID, Lynx and BBS), a cheapo generic obd2 tool (but what would it read on a RR and what would it miss - it was nigh on impossible to get an answer to that) and my final choice the icarsoft i930 for £89.

It was advertised pretty widely but there was virtually nothing by way of comments, reviews or even a good demo of what it could would do. So, not wanting to spend loads but not wanting a pos I opted for that.

Its a pretty compact hand held unit with colour lcd screen (approx 3" x 3") which will read DTCs, clear them and also allow reading of live data. One thing that sets it apart from cheap generic units is that it will not just read engine data but will go into RR specific features ie the EAS but also through AV systems, lighting control, airconditioning etc etc. The unit will read all the units and at least attempt to reset the DTCs. It will not however allow any editing of user preferences (no turning the key ignition bong off sadly). There is an inbuilt library of RR DTCs which you can look up for further info.

It can also display live data and take snapshots of it. I had a quick explore of the data it could display and it does seem to be quite comprehensive, at the moment I've only had chance to explore engine data and EAS data which seemed pretty impressive. Although the screen is pretty sharp its not big enough for graphics so its able only to display about 8 numeric values on the screen at one time.

The unit can be updated by usb connection to a pc but apparently (haven't got that far yet) cannot export data which is a real shame - it would be great to be able to email a snapshot to the local garage etc.

One disapointment is the instruction manual which is virtually non-existent although this is offset by the fact that the unit is ridiculously easy to use. TBH if couldn't operate it you probably shouldn't have bought it (or be allowed out in public). Also there is quite a lot scrolling involved through all the menus/values.

Finally its not locked to a specific vehicle and has the modules for all RRs from 1999 which could be a real bonus for owners of multiple RRs (is that lucky or stupid?) and of course you can keep it if you sell you car.

All in all its good value for money and does what it says on the tin; it would be good if anyone had something to compare it to excluding the expensive systems that are on the market.

Well thats it, only had it a few hours so no doubt there'll be something to add - and of course if you have something to add please get amongst it![/list]

Post #265417 14th Jun 2014 3:07pm
Joe90

England 

Does it only work lying on its side ? Twisted Evil

Looks like a handy piece of kit Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #265633 15th Jun 2014 11:36pm
corinthian99

Yeah, its got a mercury switch inside. Actually I'm having issues with that - looks ok on my pc but when imported goes horribly wrong and its only been happening recently.

Post #265648 16th Jun 2014 8:20am
Joe90

England 

There is a rotate feature in the gallery, try that. The default orientation of your photo is correct so your PC must be doing something clever and making it portrait instead of landscape. The forum is seeing that it is a landscape image and displaying as such. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #265667 16th Jun 2014 11:03am
B9er

Northern Ireland 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Java Black

Check out the video, maybe this tool is of some LR specific use. Not as good as an IID tool etc, but for £90ish a good addition to the LR tool box?

Should've been old enough to know better...doh!
Current 2010 5.0 SC Autobiography
Previous 2006 TD6 Vogue SE
Previous 1998 P38 4.6 Vogue Autobiography 50 (No 10)

Post #268732 2nd Jul 2014 9:56pm
iphs

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

This does look like an affordable and usefull tool.

Might invest in one myself.

Post #268734 2nd Jul 2014 10:05pm
corinthian99

The mini write up I had hoped would act as a catalyst for a better discussion of the various scanners available. The IID seems to be the only unit well discussed and as I said the marketing for the others was absolutely dreadful - no real explanation of what they actually did.

The icarsoft is no substitute for the iid etc but seems pretty good value for money. Question is do any of the v. cheap generic units fit the bill?

Post #268737 2nd Jul 2014 10:13pm
iphs

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

I hear what you are saying, but I can't justify the cost of the IID unit.

I just need something to help diagnose faults. This seems to fit the bill.

Where did you get your unit from may I ask.

Post #268738 2nd Jul 2014 10:17pm
corinthian99

Couldn't find the receipt but believe it was scantool-direct, cost £89 wherever it was.

Post #268805 3rd Jul 2014 9:11am
alib123

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Ive seen these on ebay. Im looking to reset my engine light and maybe reset air sus every now and then. Is this living up to your expectations? Seems alot of kit for the price?
Cheers

Post #271129 16th Jul 2014 7:31am
corinthian99

Well that was why I bought it; within the first three weeks of ownership I'd had two EAS inactive faults and could see that getting expensive eventually. Certainly the icarsoft can deal with resetting faults but the communication is simplex so no altering settings, thats where the more expensive units kick in.

Post #271169 16th Jul 2014 10:22am
sass

Finland 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

I just placed an order for mine (i930).

Once I have received it, I'll let you know what I think of.

Post #271561 18th Jul 2014 10:13am
sass

Finland 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

I received the unit yesterday. It is a very solid unit and it comes with a soft case and a usb-cable.

I wanted to update the software, but the websites did not function well (redirected to a Chinese site). Google was a friend and I managed to find the link for the update. There were two fresh updates available (from June and July).

Updated unit at hand, I plugged it into the FF. Found some faults which the unit was able to clear (all of them), but it couldn't access the BCU for example.

I wanted to try the unit with the motor running, but the car wouldn't start! Sounded like something was preventing the motor from turning. Got the usual lights on binnacle along with the eas inactive message. The battery had depleted down to 11.2 volts. Once I was confirmed that my unit wasn't behind all this, I carried on with some more testing, but found it useless as the low voltage (at one point down to 8-9 volts) would only generate more errors Very Happy

My FF hadn't been driven for 5 days. The 100 ma battery and alternator are less than a year old. I ran the diagnostics for less than 15 min for sure. Do the diagnostics put more strain on the car battery?

I had the FF jump started, cleared the eas inactive with the steering wheel and didn't plug the unit into the FF again. Once I am convinced that the battery is properly charged, I'll carry on with my experimenting. Plain curiosity motivated me to get the unit as there was nothing wrong with the car. I'll keep the unit in the booth as a back up tool (along with the new jump start cables Very Happy ).

Post #272572 24th Jul 2014 10:17am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

its recommended to have the engine running when having a diagnostic tool plugged in, this way you will get 'live' engine/battery values as well.. .. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #272589 24th Jul 2014 11:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1