Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > No need to clay your car ever again!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
No need to clay your car ever again!

Much talk of clay wash mitts on the forum of late. I'm thinking about buying them too because of the forum feedback, although I've already got Bilt Hamber clay which is excellent and that I remain happy to use.

However, the title of this thread is the title of a recent interesting thread that is gathering pace on the Detailing World UK forum started by ORCHARD AUTOCARE LTD, a DW UK site sponsor claimed to be Ireland's only manufacturer of premium detailing products.

Doubt it will stop me using clay tbh although I might try the product that is being touted. Here is a summary of what Orchard Autocare claims about the product that they are promoting as an alternative to the clay process:

" Clay bar, clay pad, clay mitt, clay this and that.

On Detailing world we have been preaching about the need NOT to rub gritty bits around your car yet we will take a solid bar or mitt etc and gladly rub it over the entire surface of the vehicle marring the life out of it forcing a machine correction of some sort.

Personally as a detailer I hate clay loathe it think it is totally opposite to what we should be doing so for the last 2 years we have been developing something special economical and easy to use that even a beginner could use. Multi purpose so it can be used at several stages of the process even better.

ORCHARD AUTOCARE 'Luminous Pre Wax Cleaner' has been on sale for some time now aimed at the final stage of the process removing polishing oils, fillers, holograms and trails making the need for an IPA based wipe down, which has its own inherent problems of swiping panels, redundant, The truth be told a lot of compounds are actually resistant to it anyhow!

We also have formulated Luminos to be used as a first stage product removing tar spots and tree sap as well as ground on surface bonded contamination in one easy stage applied either by DA or hand it removes the risk of causing horrific marring on soft paints and makes it a doddle to prep the car for protection in an easy stage, ** leaving clay for only the most aggressive or over spray removal etc **

We have not clayed a single car in over a year now with our detailing business and tbh would not go back to the prehistoric method or rubbing crap over your paintwork.

With amazing results, as we say we are a results based company with OCD-ni using our products every day, allowing for constant development on hundreds of vehicles, with amazing results to show for it. This we feel is on par with the best methods of panel prep on the market and are willing to let it be tested against the best there is!

... 'Luminous Pre Wax Cleaner' wont remove Iron Fall out like Iron Cleanse or similar but for surface contamination tar/sap road grime ** that clay removes ** this will easily do it... [the contaminants that Luminous Pre a Wax Cleaner' removes are simply] dissolved into nothing so no moving around [of contaminants on the paint surface] even the big bits just slowly get dissolved with no fuss.

... The way to properly prep a car is to use a dedicated tar remover, this removes the majority. ** Clay being used to shift loads of tar is an incorrect way to use it **

The luminous is a solvent based product that dissolves the tar and sap, it pretty much turns to nothing. This is how it works, the product is self lubricating so the friction on the pad is non evasive. It uses this mechanical action to help remove marring and holograms. Once the pad gets loaded, the removal of contamination will reduce therefore replace the pad and continue.

** It does not matter how much you fold a clay bar it is always dragging contamination across the paint from the time it picks it up to the time you turn it and depending on the clay this is more or less evident.**

** We detail over 100 cars per year and I have only used a single clay bar this year and that was for an insanely contaminated car that was not the norm.**

For looked after cars that have a "normal" amount of tar, removal by a tar remover will remove most and Luminos takes care of the rest as well as other bonded contamination.

** Just because something has been about for years does not mean it cannot be improved. Why not use a sponge, it's more forgiving than a clay bar? We hear about minimising harsh contact then we rub a solid block of what essentially is a "stone" over the car surface... hard contamination sits on the surface of the clay. It does marr and it does scratch. Why not remove it form the process and only use it for what it was meant to be used for and that is HEAVY contamination and overspray removal. ** "

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=344848

Post #275865 15th Aug 2014 5:12am
J90

France 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Interesting stuff pld. It was only a matter of time before someone developed such a product. It's good to have alternatives to a clay bar or clay mitt.

I'll keep an eye on the DW forum for the results of a full test. Travelling around in circles again.

Post #276021 16th Aug 2014 12:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1