Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > First off grid caravanning weekend......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
First off grid caravanning weekend......

I am off on my first weekend off grid with the van........ Big Cry no electric.

I think i am prepared as best i can, van is always plugged in so should be pretty well charged, but i am going to put the battery charger on it overnight to get it up to max. Then mover it out in the morning and put it back on charge of a few hours which combined with towing should give me a full battery when I get to site.

All being well with a bit of prudent use the 110ah battery should last all weekend and be charged enough to get it back into the drive when we get home!

I have a small inverter to run some lights in the awning when it gets dark, but the main question i have is do i take the generator??

I have a newish Clarke inverter suitcase genny rated at about 2kw, was thinking of taking it and having it on for an hour in the morning to top up the battery, having never done an off grid expedition Whistle before I'm not sure as to how long i can expect to get from the battery! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #276735 20th Aug 2014 7:49pm
Contraband

Scotland 

We used to race karts 3 weekends a month and regularly went without electrical hookups. The caravan 110ah battery always lasted for us because we always had a generator for top ups for heavier use in the daytime, but at night it was generally battery only... So, if you have a genny you should take it. Thumbs Up Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #276742 20th Aug 2014 8:07pm
northernmonkeyjones

Concise and to the point Thumbs Up

Shall pack the genny, just got to find a chain and lock...... Then again it can live in the car! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #276747 20th Aug 2014 8:21pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Shocked we are 'off grid' most of the time !

A 110ah battery, if charged fully, should last you at least all weekend. Granted when I say this we are not big TV buffs and our kids are not fixed to the ipads, combined with LED lighting throughout the caravan we can do at least a week on one battery. I carry a fully charged spare 110ah and on the odd occasion a Honda genny (which I hate tbh).

You will be fine...a one hour generator session will do very little to the battery....I wouldn't bother, It will annoy you more with the fuel and noise. I have a 1kw Honda "silent"....it's not silent and you are better ensuring your batteries are well charged. Best of luck...incidentally we'll be off grid from lunchtime tomorrow until Tuesday and I am not planning on the genny being anywhere near me Thumbs Up

Feel free to inbox on the off grid stuff....I love it without 240v as the selection of areas and places goes up...but appreciate it can be a leap of faith ! Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #276773 20th Aug 2014 9:56pm
northernmonkeyjones

Mmmmm...... Decisions decisions.

n1cktdv8 do you rely on the in van charger or do you charge the battery off the van? There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #276775 20th Aug 2014 10:06pm
n1cktdv8

Off 'van, always. I have a Ring 16A digital charger. It controls the input at variable AMP. It was a revelation tbh. Had tried solar panels, generator and then a mate said...stop using the 'van charger. Remove it and put it on a proper 16A charger. I leave it on for a week and it's spot on. We have an Avtex TV for emergency Match of the Day Cool but I have just been careful of choice of equipment. TV is 12v / 3.3amp, LED's throughout whole caravan, each take less than 1w. Awning lights are special 7w LED energy bulbs that put out the same as a 40w light bulb. Not cheap, but superb !

We are rarely plugged in so it makes sense for me to do this. We do a lot of rallying and it's a variety of venues that generally don't offer EHU. Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #276780 20th Aug 2014 10:12pm
northernmonkeyjones

Thumbs Up spot on, only have an old charger at the mo but am going to decent charger for the car and van probably a ctek. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #276784 20th Aug 2014 10:19pm
northernmonkeyjones

Put the food back in the house fridge and put the battery in the garage with the charger on it, ok its not a smart charger but its an 8amp absaar charger and the battery is only pulling 2 at the moment so I'm going to leave it over night and it should have a decent charge by morning, it is a fairly new numax battery so i think we should be fine. I will also put in an old 100ah s3 bosch i took out of the car a while back in case of emergency, its an old car (i do know the difference etc) battery but it holds charge and will do in case of emergency. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #276793 20th Aug 2014 10:39pm
n1cktdv8

have you got the dried food, tinned fruit and Kendal mintcake ? Rolling with laughter

While 'offgrid' the fridge you will find runs twice as efficiently on gas instead of 240v too Thumbs Up

The ctek ones always get a top write up. I liked the 20A one but was told it's too much for a 110Ah leisure / marine battery. Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #276797 20th Aug 2014 10:44pm
northernmonkeyjones

Think I'm going to get the msx7.0 as it will do the car fine and should be able to condition the leisure battery.

I'm perfectly happy living on custard creams for a few days. Had to refit the fridge as a the rear seals had gone and it was smoking like a train, and as its a thetford fridge the seals are vital on gas aparently! So it had to come out, clean out the flue and burner and adjust the rear stops, new sealant and foam and all seems to be good, but have fitted a co alarm just in case. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #276799 20th Aug 2014 10:51pm
n1cktdv8

I have used my charger on a car battery and it did a great job, but mainly charges the leisure batteries. I am sure you will be fine....custard creams ???....gas BBQ...am cooking half a lamb on sunday on my Weber Q.... Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #276803 20th Aug 2014 10:59pm
northernmonkeyjones

Cadac lives in the van, might take the lid and bake some bread Whistle will mostly be sausages though! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #276807 20th Aug 2014 11:04pm
n1cktdv8

sounds good to me Thumbs Up

have a safe tow and a good weekend Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #276809 20th Aug 2014 11:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1