Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2014 - New Head Unit for Range Rover 2002 to 2004
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
alahmed

Saudi Arabia 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Bournville

FYI : the main post has been updated with some pictures and one video

Post #264035 8th Jun 2014 5:48pm
iphs

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

I would dearly like to upgrade my 03 Vogue non-touch screen unit with one of these but I just don't have the know how and have other issues to sort out first Rolling Eyes . But I wish you all the best with it and hope it all works as it should. Thumbs Up

Post #264038 8th Jun 2014 5:57pm
alahmed

mjdronfield wrote:
In the UK, the HSE does not have the screen as standard, it had to be ordered as an option.

I believe the new unit you have will replace both the MID system without a screen, and the higher spec cars with the screen in.

Unfortunately, as you have found, the wiring is different in both systems, and includes DSP units and wiring in the boot if you have the screen already installed.

I understand the wiring can all be done in the dash if you don't have a screen, which is obviously more straightforward.

Other members on here have replaced their system with later aftermarket units and are very pleased with the result.

I have kept mine looking standard, but have upgraded the amplifier and added the BMW ulf bluetooth phone and upgraded the sat nav unit to a MK4 unit.

installing the head unit and extending the 5 meter cable to the back of the car is not an easy task , it needs time which i do not have currently.

plus the DSP issue , i am not sure the the 5 meter 40 pin cable they sent me is the correct cable because there are some differences between that cable and the short 40 pin cable which was also included with the head unit.

i have connected the both cables to the radio connector and green led kept switching off for 1 second every 20 seconds.

So i really do not know if the cables are the reason behind that or there is another reason.

keeping the car looking standard is an option for many people , but i like giving my car which is already 10 years old some new features.

Post #264042 8th Jun 2014 6:25pm
alahmed

iphs wrote:
I would dearly like to upgrade my 03 Vogue non-touch screen unit with one of these but I just don't have the know how and have other issues to sort out first Rolling Eyes . But I wish you all the best with it and hope it all works as it should. Thumbs Up

Thank you so much my dear.

i have i could solve all the issues and open the door for the others to have the same head unit.

Replacing the none touch screen system with after market touch screen system already achieved by many others even on cars with DSP.

Post #264043 8th Jun 2014 6:32pm
alahmed

Joe90 wrote:
@jonboy

You mean MID setup or non-touch screen setup Twisted Evil

I have an HSE with screen/tv etc. Laughing

@iphs

It can be done (See ironhorse's thread on this) but it is more complicated, and not straight plug and play.

Dear Joe90

Thank you so much for participating and sharing your information about this issue.

Post #264045 8th Jun 2014 6:34pm
alahmed

could anyone help me to identify the cable before the last.

what is it for?

Post #264048 8th Jun 2014 7:02pm
alahmed

update:

today i have received an email from Miss. Briaana and she explained to me that the sticker on the top of the head unit was really the wrong sticker.

at that time they only made that sample and by mistake the wrong sticker was attached to the head unit.

anyway she sent me the correct sticker and also she is going to send the correct 5 meter 40 flat pin cable.

i hope i would receive it soon and complete the installation.

Post #264228 9th Jun 2014 6:23pm
Sami Saeed

Saudi Arabia 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Hi Alahmad .. Any news regarding the head unit .. However ism trying to use a mini ipad using the grom rather than the current head unit .. Your advice is highly appreciated .. Otherwise I will purshase the ultimate autobiography 2014 Smile with 2 iPads .. BRs

Post #265035 12th Jun 2014 9:46pm
alahmed

Not yet Sami

i am waiting for them to send me a new and correct 5 meter 40 pin cable.

they promised me to send it within the next several days.

i believe the one i have received before with the wrong cable.

regarding your options

i think it will be cheaper to buy the new autobiography 2014 instead of replacing the head unit Laughing

Post #265056 12th Jun 2014 10:26pm
alahmed

Hello

as an update:

even the 2nd 5 meter 40 pin cable does work correctly , after switching on the car light the head unit back light led keeps switching off for 1 second every 20 seconds.

to test the other functions i have connected the head unit to 12V battery inside my home and also connected 4 speakers to the head unit.

1- Radio, playing video &music, showing pictures, making phone calls and receiving them through head unit, all of that working.
2- Built-in WiFi is is not working as it should be , if its connect then for a few seconds then it will disconnect , sometimes its not able to discover new WiFi networks without turning it off and then on again, sometimes it keeps turning on and off automatically , sometimes it refuses to turn on if its off or to turn off if its on as there is no response at all , most of the time its not able to connect to a strong WiFi signal even if there is no password ( my two smart phones could connect to each other and to my home router without any issue if there a password or not), its not able to connect to even WiFi OBDII.
4- Bluetooth music streaming is not working correctly , the head unit will connect to your mobile and when you play music there is no sound at all.
5- more than one time the head unit hangs and does not respond whatever the button you press and the icon on the screen you touch.
6- GPS not yet tested because its needs internet connection even for first installation.
7- not able to save new APN.

Below are videos i have recorded to show all of those problems i have faced , you could watch them by clicking watch in the download page.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3qbd45ti...onnect.wmv
http://www.mediafire.com/download/0418bjv0...before.wmv
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3i6fxbcb...eaming.wmv
http://www.mediafire.com/download/upjhtc5e...e+wifi.wmv
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a92c76iw...ticlly.wmv
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3xjns36v...econds.wmv
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8mw35byv...at+all.wmv
http://www.mediafire.com/download/w8mclkl0...ecting.wmv
http://www.mediafire.com/download/oj4vn1v1...onnect.wmv

i have contact the manufacture regarding those problem and i hope they could solve this issues soon.

Post #269834 9th Jul 2014 2:06am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Hi Alahmed, have you checked on the BMW forums whether their units also face issues similar to yours ?? If so, it makes sense that your unit is not working properly. If those units work fine, then it may be a problem related to the specifics of the L322 software.

Anyway, I hope that you sort it out and get it working properly. I hate it when I don't have a good sound system in a car as quiet as our L322s. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #269835 9th Jul 2014 2:44am
alahmed

Hi ebajema

Regarding the WiFi problem , Bluetooth music streaming , Hanging a few times , failing to save new APN (Access Point Name) , i believe those issue has nothing to do with L322 software , its an android issues and the manufacture should be able to check their android version which is 4.2.1 and solve the mentioned issues.

The version they are using is not a complete version, its a light and custom version to serve their purpose.

let me say this head unit is all in one head unit instead of having many components as the original system ( Navigation Screen , Navigation DVD , TV Module , Radio Module , Bluetooth Module, etc)

with all my respect to the Range Rover entertainment system and Navigation the head unit( 2002 to 2004) this head unit is more better.

the sound quality without any amplifier or DSP is amazing, the screen is bigger than the OEM screen , the resolution is 1024x600 capable to display HD , the color is fantastic.

as i have mentioned before the Radio, playing video &music internally or from usb stick, showing pictures, making phone calls and receiving them through head unit, all of that working fine.

if they solve the issues i am facing currently then i would have the most modern Range Rover head unit.

imagine , with a unit like this , you could connect WiFi cameras , WiFi TMPS , WiFi hard Dsiks , WiFi OBDII , etc.

so its an android table inside a Range Rover head unit.

i will record a video showing you the Radio , playing music and video soon.

Thanks

Post #269952 9th Jul 2014 6:59pm
alahmed

Hello All

updates:

i Have received a new head unit (upgraded) from the manufacture as a replacement for the one i had before.

after testing the new head unit , its working perfectly without any issue.

i will include video soon.

the last issue i am facing is not related to the head unit but related to the 5 meter extension cable.

they have sent two cable , 1st one is not compatible with the head unit and the other needs readjusting some connectors to be compatible with the BM54 Radio ( each wire was tested by a multimeter)

based on the mentioned test i believe i need to do the next:

1- Readjust 3 speakers wiring on the 40 pin connector to match the BM54 Radio speakers wiring.
2- Disconnect the break wire from head unit main connector and connect it to the dedicated IBUS port on the head unit and then connect the other end of the same wire to pin No. 9 on (Radio connector).

Post #277266 24th Aug 2014 12:01am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

alahmed,

How did I manage to miss this post, not seen it before, I have just fitted an Android 4.2.2. head unit to my Vogue with DSP, I got it from Erisin and again it was designed for the BMW.

It is very similar to yours but has a choice of start up logo and panel light colour, I too had problems with fitting and usage instructions even down to turning it on, It said press the big volume knob when in fact you have to press and hold the src button!!!!!

My amp was broken so I wired it in direct, and as you say it has a good amp...

The brake wire on mine is for watching DVD or TV, it means you can't watch it unless you have the hand brake on, you can just connect this to 12v acc and then you can choose when you watch it, mine has a setting to turn this off so it's a bit redundant anyway....

I attached the lighting cable to the rear side light (found in the boot loom where the other wires are) as the original system uses can bus and the unit wouldn't recognise the signal, all other steering wheel controls work.

I don't know if it will help you but have a look at the thread....

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic27033.html

Good luck with getting yours sorted, it's worth all the hassle Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #277301 24th Aug 2014 5:06pm
alahmed

Dear Haylands

Thank you for participating in this issue and yes i agree with you it's worth all the hassle.

i believe we both share the same ideas about our needs to get more modern , all in one head unit instead of having and outdated low resolution display head unit with its many other devices ( TV , DVD , Radio etc .)

when i was thinking of a replacement head unit i was looking for the same design as the OEM head unit design but with bigger size and high resolution screen + pure android operating system.

when i found those guys who are making BMW E39 pure android head unit i convinced them to make it also for Range Rover with only changing the back-light led to green and replacing BMW logo with Land Rover logo.

unfortunately version one was containing a lot of problems , but with version two they solved all the issues i was facing.

i did not install it till now for several reason:

1- i need more free time to do that.
2- i still need 5 meter antenna extension cable.
3-i was and still searching for a way to use the OEM DSP as its operating the the 12 speakers from 4 channels.
5- if there is no way to do that , then i am thinking of JBL MS-8 DSP amplifier (8 channels) and use 3 way crossover for the front speakers and 2 way crossover for the rear speakers.

Yes the sound quality of the head unit is very powerful and decent but it will operate only 4 channels , when i need to use all the 12 speakers.

Thank you again

Post #277628 27th Aug 2014 1:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>