Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Front End knock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Front End knock

Been meaning to share this for a while, have been waiting to see if it was a permanent fix, and it does appear to be

When I bought mine it had several knocks coming from the suspension... and a few other issues as well!!

The rear one was easily diagnosed as worn top hub rose joint/bush and was an easy fix... now it just had the front knock....

It would happen if you went over a speed hump with just the left wheel, hit it with both and it was quiet...

It would do it if you turned right, and then not do it again turning right unless you turned left first... it did it every time..

It sounded like someone hitting the bottom of the car with a hammer, a very metallic knock...

I checked, and double checked every ball joint and bush but they all appeared fine...

Read every thread I could find on here and other forums and decided to change the drop links, even though mine looked fine, they were the cheapest place to start...

New genuine drop links and no difference....

Decided to have a go at removing things from the equation, I had a suspicion it was something to do with the ARB so I removed the drop links again and went for a drive.... quiet as a mouse!!!!

Back on the ramp and check the ARB bushes, both looked fine, no cracking and still nice and hard, checked the saddle clamps and all four nuts were tight and the clamps had "hit home" started scratching head!!!!

Put it all back together and ordered some new bushes from Dan...

Then I found a similar issue on another forum where the bushes had come adrift from the ARB, he changed the whole ARB and it was cured...

Bushes turned up and I'm then wondering how to glue them to the ARB or even if they need glueing.... apparently the original ones would have been...

Anyway... back on the ramp, bend all the headshields out the way again, drop links off, saddle clamps off and the old bushes are totally fixed to the bar, not even a slight gap around the edge, they had the same feel and resistance as the replacements.... In other words they were perfect...

More head scratching... I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the ARB at all and it must be something else...

Put it all back together, with the old bushes still in, bolted it up.... dropped to the floor....

Drove home...................... Quiet as a mouse!!!!!!!!! and it still is several months later....

The knocking really was bad, passengers commented on it!!

The only thing I can think is that the saddle clamps had got stuck to the bushes and it was rocking on it's mount somehow... I can't really understand how as they were fully down when I'd checked them earlier...

Anyway I don't care, it's fixed and it's beautiful and quiet....

If anyone has a theory then please speak up....

If anyone has a similar knock, give this a go it's a freebee...

Oh, and if anyone wants some ARB bushes I've got two spare!!!! Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #278506 1st Sep 2014 6:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1