Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 10MY shutting down elec systems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JST

England 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey
10MY shutting down elec systems

i did do a search but couldnt find a specific answer so thought i would ask anyway:

when you park up how long does it take the vehicle to shutdown everything to reduce Battery drain? (2mins i believe?)

Is that time from locking it?

What if it was left unlocked with the key fob within range, does it shut down systems as a set time?

Or left unlocked with key fob out of range? does it shut down then? how long?

Does putting the hand brake on start the timer on a system shutdown.

by shutdown i mean to turn off all the systems is if the vehicle was locked.

i would like to be able to park up the vehicle but not lock it, sometimes the key would be within the 20ft range of the vehicle, and i would like to be able to start it after a day!

Post #282690 24th Sep 2014 8:46pm
Bryan N

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

I'm not sure that the length of time it takes for the car's systems to be completely shut down to minimise battery drain has anything to do with locking the doors or putting the handbrake on. I had a problem with my 2010 TDV8 and reproduce my post from another forum nearly two years ago which may be of interest to you:-

Service Action Q159

My earlier concerns expressed in my previous thread "Battery charging via accessory port?" have been realised - TWICE!

[P S - they cannot be charged through the 'accessory port']

Last week, after my newly acquired 2010 Vogue 3.6 TDV8 had been unused for a few days, I started the car and pulled it out of the garage but 15 minutes later it refused to start - flat battery! Land Rover Assistance mechanic arrived within 30 minutes (which I thought was pretty good!) and spent an hour charging the battery, checking the alternator output and the battery condition - all declared good - and measuring the 'dark current' draw after engine shut-down. That showed the 'normal' (so I am told) current drain which immediately after shut-down was over 5A (FIVE AMPS!), gradually reducing over a 20 minute period as all of the systems shut down until it reached what I was informed was the accepted level of between 12 and 20 mA (milliamps).

Once the mechanic had buttoned everything up, I made a trip of over 120 miles - sufficient I would have thought to adequately charge the battery but the mechanic did recommend that I invest in a 'battery charger/optimiser' which I immediately ordered (ctek CTE-MXS 5.0) and which was delivered this morning.

However, when I attempted to drive the car out of the garage to install the charger leads, the car would not start - battery dead as a Dodo!

Another visit from Land Rover Assistance, (again within half-an-hour - they must be parked at the end of our street!) who this time had to manually release the gearshift inter-lock and handbrake to push the car out of the garage so that the hood could be opened to access the battery. Same procedure as a few days earlier - charge and check battery, alternator and 'dark current' and start car - however, this time his 'analyser' suggested the need for a new battery whereas previously the battery was declared OK.

Then ..... the mechanic commented that, being a 2010 3.6 diesel, it should have had 'Service Action Q159' conducted on it, Q159 being a re-call issued in September 2012 applicable to any 2010 car between VIN LM306631 and LM334416. My car sits within that range but the mechanic confirmed that the work had not been conducted on the car, which was a little surprising since it was supposed to have had a 'major service' at the main LR dealer before delivery in December last and the instructions in Q159 require dealers to accomplish it on affected cars "prior to hand over to the customer".

Service Action Q159 calls for a different new battery and software modifications to reduce by about 50% current draw times for various systems to prevent excessive battery drain after engine shut-down.

Has anyone any experience of 'before and after Q159' experience. Did it do the trick?

My LR dealer is collecting the car tomorrow to accomplish the work while I am abroad for the next six weeks - so he has plenty of time!
UNQUOTE

I always plug the car in to my CTEK whenever it is garaged for any length of time - 'just in case' !

Post #283779 30th Sep 2014 4:11pm
JST

thank you, i thought i read somewhere in the hand book that applying the handbrake initiated a complete shut down when vehicle was turned off, but could (and prob am wrong!)

i will check the docs on mine for the Q159 action, thank you for taking time to post up. Cheers

James

Post #283794 30th Sep 2014 7:36pm
JST

mine has had the action completed, (q159), so its not that, thank you for identifying it. Cheers

James

Post #284125 2nd Oct 2014 7:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1