Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > DANGER!! - Head injury risk on L405 tailgate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue
DANGER!! - Head injury risk on L405 tailgate

I have twice caught my head on the sharp corner of the upper tailgate.

Once was when I had it on the lowest suspension setting and walked round with eyes down looking for something in the boot. The second time, my daughter had pressed the electric close button and I was in the wrong place, looking the wrong way.

I'm 6'0". Taller would be more vulnerable.

Then I was shooting at the weekend. Another of the guns (not me) was bending to get something out of the boot of another L405. The owner (not me) had pressed the close button. Result was a collision of head with the sharp corner.

Cue a 3 inch gash and lots (and lot and lots) of blood. One of the chaps was a surgeon. The shoot had some sterile veterinary staples (dogs, for the use of). The gun was unwilling to go to A&E and miss his shooting so this was the outcome:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #299197 15th Dec 2014 9:49pm
Welshdragon

Wales 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

Shocked Shocked

Wow that's not good, you sure you haven't up set the RR405 Laughing
Mrs WD's 110 hates me,..... bonnet fell on my bonce few years ago while working on it Laughing If it dont work.......burn it!

If the IId tool cant fix it.......burn the FF.

If the FF cant be fixed......buy a Land Cruiser!

If the LC cant be fixed..............................................BUY a horse !!

Post #299201 15th Dec 2014 10:04pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Shocked Shocked Shocked OUCH!!!

Post #299206 15th Dec 2014 10:26pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green
Re: DANGER!! - Head injury risk on L405 tailgate

Emperor Mong wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Neat job.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #299211 15th Dec 2014 11:21pm
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

That must have been painful. Hopefully the staples didn't hit your brain! They look big!

Post #299214 15th Dec 2014 11:36pm
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Great effort from the gun, bet he stayed for post shoot drinks and food before going to get it properly sorted! 2007 Zermatt Silver TDV8 Vogue SE - now sold but was a great car!

Post #299216 15th Dec 2014 11:43pm
BradleyScott

United States 

I am perplexed.

You didn't march off to the hospital on your own immediately upon this happening?

Just out of curiosity - why is there an injury risk to the L405 tailgate?

I once had my finger slammed shut on a door - is the door the risk?

Confused.

Post #299226 16th Dec 2014 5:00am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Maybe its just a bit too "pointy" Question

Post #299229 16th Dec 2014 7:13am
allycraven

Scotland 

Have a similar issue with the S6...occasionally it decides to open 90% open, placing the latch and boot corners at "head scouring" level. Most of the tine its no problem, but when it does happen l've had a couple of nasty bumps/cuts approaching to place things in the boot.

SWMBO did it once and tried to slam it shut in anger, forgetting its a powered lid so failing miserably and just getting more annoyed in the process. I was in drivers seat trying to stifle giggles which just resulted in a slammed passenger door and silent treatment for the rest of the day...

Well played for carrying on though, probably did a better job with staples and without 6 hour A&E wait. '08 Audi S6 Avant 5.2 V10 with Milltek non-resonated. Vrrrrrrmmmmmph
'59 Ford Kuga Diesel (boring but AWD and 40mpg...)
2007 (07) Subaru Forester XTen 2.5 Turbo. (Roundabouts are fun again!)
2007 (07) 4.4 V8 Vogue (gone)

Post #299235 16th Dec 2014 8:15am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Thumbs up for the surgeon (not that I'm an expert, just looking at it from an engineers point of view, if it looks right it usually is right). Thumbs up for the IP as well, I like people like that.

Thumbs down for the tailgate operators making the mistake to not look when pressing the button. Very common mistake though. I guess everyone operating the tailgate button should first have to do a HAZID and just before operating the button do a JSA before they are allowed to operate it.

I also slammed my car door (heavy Chevy door) on my finger nails many years ago (in my own defence I had been travelling for over 36 hrs from the GoM to Holland so a bit jet lagged and rushing to get to Istanbul for New Year vacation). The same nearly happened with our X-trail not that long ago, almost hit my daughter closing it when she unexpectedly dove into the path of the tailgate coming down. Luckily I was able to hold the tailgate before hitting her.

The electric tailgate is more dangerous by design because you operate it "remotely" or from a distance and it is difficult to stop it mid move in a reflex. But they have been around, together with electric side doors on some MPVs, electric windows and electric trunk lids as well as bonnets. So the danger is always there and in this case it is a bit higher due to the remote operation option.

I actually have a nice scar on my forehead (looks a bit like a lightning bolt and yes it is more or less in the right location) after doing the same as the OP, look at where I'm walking (parts on the floor) banging straight into the sharp edge of a chip guard on a pipe facing machine. Wasn't wearing my hard hat as I should have, own stupid fault. So I understand how easy it is to make mistakes like this.

Hope you all will recover soon. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #299236 16th Dec 2014 8:24am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I think it was "Another Gun" that hurt himself not the Emperor......

Post #299238 16th Dec 2014 8:35am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

thanks for the 'heads up'.... Wink ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #299242 16th Dec 2014 8:42am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Correct, it was not my head.

And yes, the chap shot all day and was at the shoot dinner till midnight. He didn't need to go to A&E as the surgeon had sorted it (my wife laughed though - she's a doctor and would have super-glued it). We did discuss going to A&E but the general conclusion is that he would be at the back of any queue and so would be there for hours. The staples would sort it immediately and he wouldn't miss any shooting. I think he had so much adrenaline running around his system that he barely felt it (so he said). The surgeon did it in literally a couple of seconds - amazing.

The risk is the corner is very sharp and is not really high enough out of the way. Also the closing is near silent, slow enough to be easy to overlook but fast enough to catch you out if you are looking into the boot itself. It is easy to hit the close button and the people around you not realise it is closing (what happened here).

Not suggesting that Land Rover install a warning buzzer (how annoying would that be) or that we all do a risk assessment before closing the boot. Hard hats might help though. Very Happy

Just giving a friendly warning that people with L405s be a little more aware of those sharp edges and watch out for themselves, their friends and family.

Post #299247 16th Dec 2014 9:30am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Very neat job and hats-off to the patient for enduring the wound so well. Thumbs Up

To be fair, I don't think this is just an L405 issue. I clonked my head on my L322's boot catch at the weekend and have also bumped into the boot corner on a few occasions. Bloody painful in all instances, although certainly nowhere near as severe as the pictured gentleman.

But I do agree that a more heavily radiused boot corner would help prevent (or at least reduce the severity of) injuries of this type. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #299281 16th Dec 2014 11:32am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

BradleyScott wrote:
I am perplexed.

You didn't march off to the hospital on your own immediately upon this happening?

Have a look how much a decent driven day costs ...

Post #299290 16th Dec 2014 12:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>