Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Best make of coolant water pump? (2004 V8 petrol)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand
Best make of coolant water pump? (2004 V8 petrol)

Following my dramatic breakdown (well dramatic and totally unaccustomed to me!) just before new year, am having the water pump replaced on my 2004 V8 petrol BMW.

Am confused about which make to stipulate the garage use as the costs range from £40 up to £250.

Which makes/brands do you guys trust and value and have used? My last pump only lasted just over 2 years (not sure what make).

Options so far are Britpart (never!!) Hella (Sound cheap), BGA (£80 up) and LR genuine (£250?) anyone know of BMW WATER PUMP FOR M62 ENGINE MANUFACTURED BY KOLBENSCHMIDT (c.£100)

thx Thumbs Up

Post #302311 2nd Jan 2015 2:33pm
vaz

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Any decent part manufacturer would do I suppose.

Many years ago the water pump went on my 200D w123 series Mercedes. I got a Quinton Hazel pump around half price. Lasted 6 months. The Mercedes pump that I eventually bought had a surcharge on the old pump.
Needless to say, on critical parts like that, I would stick with Land Rover.

Steve. 1968 Series IIA Pastel Green, nearly there project

Post #302318 2nd Jan 2015 3:03pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

i did my timing chains about 2 years ago and fitted a cheapish pump around £60-70 and it failed, (immediately, but so slight i hadnt found the leak for a good few weeks after finding others!) it started leaking, but was hard to determine, untill it was leaving stains, and i had a mirror on a telescopic pole. but when i checked it. the actual casting under the bearing was weeping through a 'crack' (from manufacture, not bad fitting) however, with another similar priced one its been ok for a year and half.
i would go to a bmw forum, put in 'm62tub44 water pump OEM' and go from there.
one last tip, the o rings on the long pipes front to rear of engine are easily mis-aligned and leak water. its very easy to pull the pipes half out (the rear end) as you remove the pump, and then not seal very well and then a leak from that area (front or rear) of engine can result. if you somehow brace the pipes with something when pulling water pump carefully forward, this should reduce chances etc, and order a spare water pump gasket. they should come with one, but are a bit fiddly to offer up and stay in situ, hence there's a chance, that with a bad bolt up and a small leak, that it may well need to be taken off and put back on, and the gasket could tear, (they are held in place with some RTF sealant) resulting in another wait for another gasket. they are only about £3

i know you are having it done for you, but i watched a few youtubes, on that waterpump.

Post #302339 2nd Jan 2015 3:58pm
Zain

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I looked into various brands when replacing mine and eventually went with KS (KOLBENSCHMIDT) upon recomendation of my BMW mechanic as he said it was a well known german brand in the BMW scene (ive got the m62 bmw vCool.

Behr Hella would be equal best. (Stick to german and you cant really go wrong IMO)

Oh....and replace as many gaskets/seals/O rings as you possibly can as per reply above from John.

(im currently having my entire cooling system replaced after a rad leak)

Post #302349 2nd Jan 2015 5:22pm
klf400

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

i am pretty sure most of the cooling system components on the full fat with m62 engine was hella Thumbs Up 1990 3.5 v8 defender
2000 4.6 v8 30th anniversary prins lpg
2004 4.4 v8 vogue prins lpg
2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue
faultmate extreme
rsw allcoms
Autel 906BT
Gap iiD tool

Post #302513 3rd Jan 2015 6:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1