Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Land Rover Insurance - Vehicle Security.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Doodle

United Kingdom 
Land Rover Insurance - Vehicle Security.

Today I received a letter from Zenith (dated 19th February), who 'manage' LR Insurance.

Heading, IMPORTANT: VEHICLE SECURITY CHECK AVAILABLE FROM LANDROVER.

I am sure others have likewise received a copy. I post this for the benefit of those with other insurers.

The theft problem has already been covered in other threads, so I guess we all know the specific issue.

Whilst the letter contains good advice, it also could be in its nature considered a disclaimer should your vehicle be stolen.

In bold is the line...'failure to take reasonable measures to safeguard your vehicle against theft could jeopardise future theft claims and we all hope to avoid that situation'.

It recommends we contact our local dealer to update software, make sure we know how to use all vehicle security features and be aware of the number of keys programmed to the vehicle and to delete cloned keys.

It also provides five points of 'Recommended precautions to take'. Good advice and excellent help indeed.

In 2014, I spoke to my dealer to see if LR were to offer a system similar to Trackstar anti-cloning (£650) or a physical port lock. Nothing from LR.

Like others, I have a crooklock on the wheel, but there must be something better??

I know it's a problem across several manufacturers, but I would have been more happy if LR had taken the lead on this, rather than via their insurance partners.

If the vehicle 'disappeared', the last thing I would not expect is a wrangle over what could now be considered contributory negligence for perhaps not parking under a street light.

Trouble is, even if the thieving bas***ds are caught, they are neither flogged or put in the stocks anymore. Pity! Sad

So beyond the obvious, what special measures should we adopt as a matter of routine?

Post #314226 22nd Feb 2015 12:31am
crookedm

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Reading some of the reports on the L405 maybe it's nothing to worry about as they may not start Rolling with laughter

Sorry not funny really.

Crook lock on a car this price seems ludicrous. Surely LR can provide something better.

Post #314416 22nd Feb 2015 10:32pm
SH-UK

France 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

LR insurance is a waste of time. Spend a lot of time out of the UK in Europe with the RR. When I bought it I contacted LR insurance for a quote. When I formed them I might be out of country for upto 6 months possibly more I was told they only did normally 1 month but after applying it might be 3 months. What's the point in a company advertising a vehicle to transit continents when they won't let it out of gtc country for more than a month. Daft I call it!..... Rolling Eyes Current:-
2014 Defender 90 2.2 TDCi
2014 FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
1955 MGTF 1500

Past:-
From a series 2 to 2014 4.4 FFRR Auto. with lots in between

Post #317041 9th Mar 2015 4:32am
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Yes I agree.

My usual insurer quoted almost £1k more for the L405 than I had on the L322 and that's with max NCB.

The LR insurance package is not ideal, but it was the better of three at the time.

Surprising as I guess LR receive a % from Zenith as commission.

This time around, A Flux were £380 less than LR/Zenith, but due to time pressure I stupidly renewed with LR.

That said, when (if ever) we study the detailed clauses, exclusions and limitations that are issued only after the event, it seems each insurer has bites that suit and some that do not, in order to differentiate their pricing structure/product.

You can never be sure how good your insurance provider is until you claim. My L322 provider has been good x1 claim on protected NCB.

Hope I don't have to find out on the 405 Whistle

Post #317067 9th Mar 2015 10:18am
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

I know the 405 has an immobiliser but if it is disabled once the engine start button is pressed it serves no purpose if the key has been cloned , so I suppose there is the option of putting a further immobiliser on. On my other car I had one called a Vecta Mangusta and that was basically a small-ish torpedo shaped piece of steel with the circuit boards moulded to the inside surface of it during production and then had 15 black wires coming out. Each unit was wired into the cars wiring loom and only the company and their fitter knew what each wire was used for and where it went. It then had its own electronic key which plugged into its own keyhole in the dash area (goes back to using a key though). The car could not be started without the key and if the immobiliser was cut open, that would immediately break the circuits attached to it rendering it useless and still leaving the car un-startable unless the thief had a whole new wiring loom handy. Was a great piece of kit and kept the insurance down Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #323554 21st Apr 2015 11:04pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

What you need is an immobiliser with an electronic key that reads the proximity of a chip... Have the chip on your keys, drop them into a cup holder (have the reader installed underneath) Therefore without the chip, it won't start!

Much like the original system i guess but this time, Ahem... Secure! Whistle Whistle Whistle

Post #323557 21st Apr 2015 11:36pm
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Very useful information. I have continued looking into additional security and with the ones that appear 'workable' such as mentioned, are they too invasive into the electronics?

LR may need to approve any work/product (electronics) in order to safeguard warranty issues. They also are responsible for a better and on-going solution and so far it is not an electronic route. Still up to the owner to apply mechanical protection and damage limitation.

I read in another recent post that when a member visited the dealer for the security upgrade, they were told by the dealer not to bother as it didn't work!!! Exclamation

If a vehicle were to vanish, I have concern how LR insurance, or other insurers would respond and investigate, or apportion any possible blame. I have GAP insurance and wonder if that would be negated as a result of theft/negligence.

Still use crook-lock. Something of a pain.

Post #323586 22nd Apr 2015 9:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1