Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Sun No Show
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JOKER

Scotland 
Sun No Show

Bought two of those solar panel trickle chargers one for the MH and one for the wee car that gets towed behind it , although not a great deal of sun , still says they would work during daylight hours ......

Censored , both batterys flat after a couple of days of leaving the solars plugged into the cigarette lighters switch ......... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Ah well back to the drawing board as they say ........... solar panels in the Bin ........... Whistle

Just as well i bought the " Censored Off" large battery jumpstarter ........ Laughing

Rant Over ........ Razz

Post #32800 21st Oct 2010 10:46pm
stevegt

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

I don't know the answer to this without knowing what vehicles you have but are your cigarette lighters permanent live?

Battery chargers need to be plugged into a permanent live socket or they wont work with the ignition switched off... 06MY 4.4 V8 Autobiography Cairns Blue with Navy & Parchment Interior

Post #32804 21st Oct 2010 11:08pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

So.....for a pre 2010 - in the boot or in the cubby box.....neither much use for a solar panel Shocked Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #32805 21st Oct 2010 11:32pm
JOKER

Scotland 

@stevegt

The Motorhome is an Autotrail Arapaho , and the small towing car is a Fiat Punto 1.2 Active.

Post #32812 22nd Oct 2010 8:00am
stevegt

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

From memory the Arapaho is based on a Fiat Ducato chassis. I don't think that Fiat use permanent live cigarette lighters but I may be wrong. To check easily see if you mobile phone charger will work with the ignition turned off.

With the motorhome ensure that you use the cigarette lighter in the cab as the other 12v sockets are probably connected to the leisure battery. 06MY 4.4 V8 Autobiography Cairns Blue with Navy & Parchment Interior

Post #32814 22nd Oct 2010 8:36am
JOKER

Scotland 

Cheers for the reply , better check the wheelie bin .............. Laughing Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #32815 22nd Oct 2010 8:38am
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

How about an aerogen? These are the small wind turbines many boat-owners mount on a handrail to keep the boats engine and house batteries charging during the week when they are not using their boat. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #32816 22nd Oct 2010 9:01am
JOKER

Scotland 

Think a Match would be better .......... Laughing

Post #32817 22nd Oct 2010 9:06am
pjb

England 

Hi Mick,

I use them on our MH and they are superb - especioally as we keep it at a storage site & battery on the ducato is under the floor.

Had to wire direct from the battery as cig light is not permanent feed - I think your MH might be the same base vehicle.

Run a wire under the floor into the battery box to the side of the windscreen - Connect when not in use / on site, storage in locker when being driven.

so far so good Thumbs Up Paul
L405 now sold

Post #32819 22nd Oct 2010 9:12am
JOKER

Scotland 

Cheers pjb will give that a go once it stops peeing from the heavens ....... Thumbs Up

Post #32821 22nd Oct 2010 9:21am
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Aerogen makes all sorts of kit from nebulisers through to solar panels so trying to find their own website isn't easy but here is a link to some of their marine turbines http://www.shop.solar-wind.co.uk/acatalog/...rogen.html

Only one problem I have encountered with them was that during the passage of a hurricane while we were sailing in the Chesapeake Bay in the Eastern USA we had to de-mount the generator as it was cooking the heat sink and the batteries - it was making too much lecky! Easy to do - we have first to turn the fan off the wind and then stop the blades turning, tether it off the wind and then drill holes in a couple of blades to put some rope through the holes as a brake! Shouldn't be a problem you would encounter in Central Scotland too often. Great thing is that even now when the boat is out of the water for the winter the batteries still get charged by the wind, no need to take them home and trickle charge them in the garage. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 22nd Oct 2010 10:50am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #32822 22nd Oct 2010 9:43am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Mick, no solar trickle charger is going to keep up with a battery discharge over two days - unless its a solar panel the size of a house. You either have knackered batteries or a huge drain on them.

Trcikle charges are meant to prevent natural wastage and drain caused by small electrical use such as an alarm being on over extended periods.

Post #32838 22nd Oct 2010 10:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1