Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PicnicSteve

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black
Tyres

My boy is shod with General Grabbers and I must say driving down to Cornwall I couldn't hear hear any particular road/tyre noise, will need new tyres next year, what's people's views on new tyres please, stick with Grabbers or different makes

Steve

Post #345557 1st Sep 2015 8:31pm
Zirconblue

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

Pirelli Scorpion Zero's on mine seem really quiet.

Post #345560 1st Sep 2015 8:36pm
PicnicSteve

Thanks will look at the scorpions

Post #345561 1st Sep 2015 8:41pm
vaz

Pirelli Scorpion Zero's here as well (original fitment)? Quite a good long lasting tyre provided you don't get a none repairable puncture.
A budget tyre to go for if the funds don't stretch to premium tyres, Nexan's aren't bad either (had them on our P38). A tad noisier, but well reviewed on here by some.

Steve. 1968 Series IIA Pastel Green, nearly there project

Post #345562 1st Sep 2015 8:54pm
sako243

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

I've had GG's fitted more or less since I bought the Rangie - some 40k / 18 months ago and I've not been disappointed but neither have I been that impressed if I'm truly honest. Many here will have heard of my experiences up in the Lakes where I was doing some lanes with a group of Defenders. The FF went everywhere the Defenders did with ease however I did use two more tyres than they did Whistle. Recently went out with some of the same group around Surrey and managed to get a puncture in the sidewall and write off another one (typically one of the newer ones).

So I've decided to try out some different ones in the form of Goodyear Duratracs - initial impressions is that the tread pattern is much more aggressive which actually suits me since I fairly often go into the Achilles tendon of RR's - wet grassy fields - only had them fitted for ~10 days so far so we'll see - they don't hold quite as well in the wet as the GG's but that's to be expected. Still feel better than the BFG Muds I had on the Defender though.

Anyway I digress - ignoring my penchant for hitting things and destroying sidewalls with the GGs which isn't really their fault - I found the tyres that did survive my beating had started to crack along the sidewalls quite badly after 20k or so. Research shows it may have been hitting potholes around Surrey (of which there are a lot) but I was a bit underwhelmed by how long they lasted. The tread was fine but the sidewalls were simply not holding up.

My two pence anyway from someone who abuses the tyres Embarassed

(By the way I fully understand that this is a by-product of having 19" wheels but then again someone has to push the limits...) Ed

Post #345566 1st Sep 2015 9:20pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Consider what you really use your Rangie for Iif it's mainly town and virtually no mud, like me, then a road tyre will sort of save you money on fuel economy, (every little helps!) and will be quieter, and possibly cheaper if on offer etc. take your time, and look for deals. I have continentals UHP nice and quiet, though I never drive without the radio etc. also, if you have edge wear, get that sorted (tracking wise) before you plunge into rubber-nomics. I asked how much a Pirelli was in ATS tyres, (might have been National tyres) and one was £445. Absolute joke. -I wondered if they filled it with laughing gas!
sometimes you can find a whole set of new wheels and tyres for sale, from people upgrading from new.

Post #345570 1st Sep 2015 9:28pm
wokkadriver

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

I've just stuck new grabbers on mine… see link for the full story!

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic33496.html

Post #345571 1st Sep 2015 9:28pm
hongkongphooey

Isle Of Man 

I've just fitted 4 new Pirelli Scorpian Zeros, quiet as a mouse, £180 a corner fitted and balanced. Not too bad for good 20" hoops. Present* 2006 Santorini SC Vogue SE.
Gone* 2006 4.4 AJV8 Zermatt Vogue.
Gone* 2004 TD6 Bonatti Vogue.

Post #345572 1st Sep 2015 9:47pm
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Got a pair of Pirelli scorpion 'all season' on the rear,look good 330 fitted and balanced !

Post #345915 3rd Sep 2015 7:27pm
baldnSlick

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Advice for newbie

Just bough a 2008 vogue tdv8 and has 19" rims, It will be strictly road use. Obviously a bigger wheel looks better but how much compromise to road handling do you get on 20" I hear 22" isn't a sensible option due to kerbs, can I hear from actual experience. I have Pirelli scorpions 255 55 R19 tyres at present.

Post #347524 13th Sep 2015 2:53pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

You'll get a range of opinions, but IMHO a 20" wheel suits the L322 both in aesthetics & handling - the ride will be slightly firmer, but it will also corner slightly better & be slightly more responsive - so if you're mainly A roads & motorways, 20" all the way.

22's are OK, but probably a little too tall for the L322.

A few on here have also put 21's from the L405 on and seem very happy with them Thumbs Up

Post #347530 13th Sep 2015 3:39pm
baldnSlick

Thanks for info...who has post pics of some nice 20" rims, the pic is the existing 19's when I picked my rangie up

I also have a chrome grill and chrome vents to replace the grey ones, don't think I need to do much else.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Post #347543 13th Sep 2015 4:10pm
stoutgoose

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

I fitted Vredstein Wintrac Extreme winter tyres at the beginning of the year with the intention of running them year round.

I researched them thoroughly and there are a lot of first hand reports giving them a very positive response, with average lifespans of around 30,000 miles. They are very quiet, have had little impact on MPG and I have had no handling issues and 8000 miles in, they are showing very few signs of wear.

I bought them from Tyre Leader at a cost of £170 each and had them fitted locally.

Post #347576 13th Sep 2015 7:37pm
baldnSlick

Thanks for your replies, decided to wait until spring before changing to a larger wheel, keep it standard for now as though I am driving on Tarmac I will have to go into the Welsh valley and will try a gentle off road route, need to go and get some training. Suppose I need to post on another thread for any recommended scenic routes near london to splat a bit of mud and splash a puddle or two....a baby has to walk before it can run!

Thanks again allistar and stout goose for advice on a Sunday!

Post #347608 14th Sep 2015 7:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1