Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 6hp26 gearbox problem!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
QuattroCj

United Kingdom 
6hp26 gearbox problem!

Hey guhs, I don't have a range, but I do have a 6hp26 gearbox. I have done a lot of hours worth if reading and trying to sus out what the issue is.
Basically, my car was low on oil when I bought it. To the point where it was only drivable in level ground in first gear! This was due to a leak in the sump which I fixed. (removed an cleaned all magnets and emptied the filter). The remaining cup ful of oil smelt really strong and was very watery and the dimp was sludgy)
I bought 6 literes of valvoline maxlife tranny oil and it took it all. Took it for a test drive and forts gear was very slightly delayed but pulled extremely well. Second and third were great. But when I try to shift into 4th, it kinda jolted twice gently and then reverted back to 3rd.
If I drive it to the point where it has to move up from 3rd, till go to 4th then 5th then 6th and I'll get PRNDS fault and will go into limp mode.
I also noticed that If I accellerate in 6th, it squarks and then I get PRNDS fault again.
If I'm lucky enough I can very gently get it into 4th. But then it may move to 5th or even 6th but I can slow right down and it'll drop back to working gears (1,2,3)
I decided its be an idea to try swapping the EDS solenoid around (solenoid 2 and 4) and see what happens. At the same time I checked all pistons and springs in the valve body were fine and I cleaned it up inside and tested it out but that had made no difference.
I still think the oil is low so I've ordered another 2 liters of oil today so I'll see what happens later when I receive it.
I read that although the solenoid may work, the MV1 solenoid may be faulty. I tested them with a multimeter and the EDS valves were 5.2 ohms and the MV1 was 10ohm.

My faults on the computer were:

3-4 shift

5th gear incorrect ratio

I was hoping that Phil could possible guide me in the right direction on 1This one.

Thanks for your help in Advance

Chris

Post #348316 18th Sep 2015 6:28am
Mikey

Scotland 

Gearbox is toast, and needs a rebuild or replacement...

5th gear is a weak point on these boxes, at the best of times...

Post #348319 18th Sep 2015 7:18am
QuattroCj

United Kingdom 

I've not heard of 5th being a major issue in these boxes at all. All I've gear is good review on it being built proof since its rates at 600nm torque.
The only problem I've seen people have is with the mechatronics unit

Post #348332 18th Sep 2015 8:02am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Have a look at this history of my gearbox. It got sorted by replacing all solenoids although later RRPhil found out only needs to be replaced. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #348358 18th Sep 2015 9:57am
QuattroCj

United Kingdom 

Hey em, I've read your thread many times its like a story, such a good thread and very informal.
Actually quite entertaining read.
I'm just waiting to see what happens when I get my oil. No doubt it'll be the same, but I think it's still low as it wasn't flowing back out when I used all 6 litres!
I read that low oil can cause slippage and incorrect ratio errors, but who knows.
If that doesn't work then I'll have to investigate further.
I tested the solenoidss with a battery. They all worked, but if you look closely the pins inside some of them barely moved where as one of two moved a greater distance which leads me to believe that the solenoid are going.
But here £240 plus postage for 7 refurb solenoid is a lot of money for a 22 year old student... Suppose the 290 quid for the tax is expensive too.

Post #348361 18th Sep 2015 10:07am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Please don’t put a ‘one-oil-suits-all’ fluid in your 6HP26. The bottle will probably say on it “recommended for…” followed by a whole list of just about every transmission under the sun (including many Dexron ones). The people doing the recommending are the fluid manufacturer (well they would wouldn’t they) and definitely not ZF. The controller adaptions have limits for clutch slip times. Only use Lifeguard Fluid 6 in your transmission, which produces the clutch friction properties that your transmission was designed for.

Just my opinion, obviously.

Phil

Post #348367 18th Sep 2015 10:49am
QuattroCj

United Kingdom 

Shoot! I used a supplier that you have to put your plate in to get vehicle specific parts. I checked this fluid aganst the zf stuff and its slightly the same. It states m-1375.4 and .6 along with SP and about 700 others. The car has nothing literally nothing in it when I got it. It had about half a cup full and that was it.
When I went to go in the box for a second time (after the first fill before I removed the valve body) the new oil only did 2.5 miles and was caked it crap and the magnets were crammed again. So I think I'll use this stuff as a flush and get zf stuff. Audi wants 22.50 a litre. I'll need 5 may be 6 so that's 130 to 150 just for oil. I heard some people had luck with medic in. But I don't know where I'd get that so I'll fetch some zf stuff when I've saved up as I'm on a short right now Sad

Asked Audi if they would do a box service and they gave the usual its deal for life, but we might be able to do it if you bring it in. Asked how much and they said we can't be sure as its a sealed box so may cost more. Online is says "A8 gearbox service £175"

Post #348369 18th Sep 2015 11:01am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Lifeguard or Meyle: http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/014019290...-174-p.asp Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #348370 18th Sep 2015 11:05am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Some more background reading that may be of interest: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic108824.html May or may not be related to your issues, but it's worth a read anyway for any 6HP26 owner. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #348371 18th Sep 2015 11:09am
QuattroCj

United Kingdom 

Thanks for those links, I've read about that post already. I'll have to do some research on that.
I've managed to add 1.2 litres of oil. Though it was flowing out when the pump was inserted, stopped dropping when I removed the pipe..
Still the same situation though, feels like there's no 4th gear then drops into 3rd again. Although this time when it changed up from 4th to 5th and 6th the car was getting faster on accelleratuon but was squarking so slowed down.
On my way home though I go up hill and I floored it and I put it in 4th. It hesitated then engaged briefly by jolting a second or two then dropped back to 3rd.

Post #348380 18th Sep 2015 12:19pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

My MY10 3.0 D4's box got the worn stator bush problem and needed a full rebuild/upgrade.

Post #348381 18th Sep 2015 12:19pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

I would definitely go with RRPhils recommendation on using ZF Lifeguard. Not worth risking issues by using another ATF that is "close" IMHO. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #348385 18th Sep 2015 1:11pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Just to add, the Meyle is the same stuff, in a different bottle, and without the heafty price tag, tried and tested. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #348387 18th Sep 2015 1:46pm
QuattroCj

United Kingdom 

Okay I'll do that when I get some wonga. I should get something on Monday. What do you guys recon I should do? Flush out the old new stuff and if so how? Or just drain the old new stuff and refill with the new stuff?

Do you think this will cure my issues?

If not what's next?

Chris

Post #348410 18th Sep 2015 4:04pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

If your transmission has lost 4th AND 5th AND 6th gears then this would suggest a problem with the E-clutch.

Click image to enlarge

As Lost for Words & GraemeS have already mentioned, wear in the rear stator bush - which doubles as a seal in the E-clutch hydraulic feed circuit - can allow the pressure activating the clutch to leak out. Clearly this will be worse when the transmission is hot as the fluid viscosity is lower.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The pump can’t keep up with the leakage, the pressure then drops, the clutch slips, and the transmission controller detects the slip via the speed sensors and shifts back into the previous gear to protect the clutch.

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #348432 18th Sep 2015 7:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>