Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Rear corner D post cover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
paneldamage

United Kingdom 
Rear corner D post cover

Hiya all New poster here, sorry for jumping in making requests already, but was wondering if anyone had ever removed the rear corner (D- post) wrap round finisher. It looks like it's on plastic poppers along the leading edge, but don't want to go ragging at it till I am sure Embarassed

I have removed the four expanding rivets up the edge of the tailgate opening....

I have downloaded RAVE for L322 but my laptop has eaten it I think- I am not the best with computers. I have a mate who will sort RAVE at the weekend but need to remove the finisher ASAP to enable another mate to respray the rear wing!

Of interest; my car has great bodywork except for the rear offside wing, which is scabbing along the top edge and coming up from the crease where it meets the bumper shroud. Its also scabby at the joint where it meets the tailgate frame. Worst of all, inside the door shut is a huge corroded patch which is that bad it has got to the layer-on layer stage.

I negotiated the cost of the bodywork into the deal,so I am not too upset. Wink Just wondering why the tin/ally worms should go to town on the one panel?

Thanks in advance chaps! Will post my thoughts on the first few weeks of L322 ownership shortly- but am impressed so far. Lots of little niggles, but I forget them as soon as I drive it! Very Happy

Post #35840 11th Nov 2010 10:10pm
JustinP

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black
Re: Rear corner D post cover

paneldamage wrote:
... Just wondering why the tin/ally worms should go to town on the one panel?

If the rust is localised to one panel, It may have been in an accident and repaired using non LR panels & paint.

I've not had my FF long, and this is the first I've read about them rusting, is it a common problem? If so, what's the Land Rover corrosion warranty life? My ML started to rust around the wheel arches when the car was 7 years old, but thankfully Mercedes covered 70% of the repair cost, and the approved MB repair centre that fixed it did an outstanding job blending in the paint.

Post #35851 11th Nov 2010 10:42pm
letsavit2

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
Re: Rear corner D post cover

JustinP wrote:
paneldamage wrote:
... Just wondering why the tin/ally worms should go to town on the one panel?

If the rust is localised to one panel, It may have been in an accident and repaired using non LR panels & paint.

I've not had my FF long, and this is the first I've read about them rusting, is it a common problem? If so, what's the Land Rover corrosion warranty life? My ML started to rust around the wheel arches when the car was 7 years old, but thankfully Mercedes covered 70% of the repair cost, and the approved MB repair centre that fixed it did an outstanding job blending in the paint.

At 7 years old have a look at your rear inner wheels arches, prob some suface rust there from stone chips. You cant really see the area so should of just been covered in stone chip paint. I just rubbed mine down and stuck two layers of hamerite on it for now, i sort it out better in spring. Also read about rusty tailgates but mine seems fine, for now.!

Panel damage, does seem that area on yours has been hit and repaired poorly, or drain holes blocked?

Hope they dont rust too bad as i'm thinking if mines not worth a lot in a couple of years time ill just keep it and off road it, may be ill get the waxol out in the summer... Idea 2004 black Vogue TD6

Post #35856 11th Nov 2010 10:58pm
paneldamage

United Kingdom 

Thats what my bodyshop friend thinks may have happened- but the panel is original?

He will sort it properly, prep and paint wise. Its just he sneaked the job in on the basis I would strip it and rebuild after painting.

Post #35858 11th Nov 2010 10:59pm
paneldamage

United Kingdom 

Postscrpt; got the finisher off today- it is held on by four replaceable plastic poppers along the foremost edge, and the four expanding plastic rivets in the tailgate reveal.

To remove, I took out all the rearmost fixings and then gently pulled it away starting at the bottom.

Corrosion-wise, it appears that the finisher has micro-vibrated and worn through the paint, eventually leading to a strip of corrosion about six inch by one inch along the top of the wing, mostly hidden by the aforementioned D-post cover.

It will be getting a hidden blob of Sikaflex when it goes back. Thumbs Up

The remaining corrosion may be the fault of a dodgy minor repair to the wheelarch area. Funny, the previous owner never mentioned a little bump when I was handing the money over...

Been driving a Meriva loan car while it gets painted today Shocked

Post #35958 12th Nov 2010 10:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1