Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Is the 3ltr really noisy or is it me??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Nick Ground

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

My SDV8 with 22" wheels made a real droning din. Main dealer did not seem to think it was unusual! Fitted my 20" wheels as a test and normality returned.

However, it depended on the road surface and speed. Does not really sound like the same problem you have to me.

Nick 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS
gone 17 older variants of FFRR

Post #368791 25th Jan 2016 9:56am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Road noise from the Conti 22’s was an issue bak on early cars hence them producing the Conti silent series...

As Nick says, does not sound like your issue though sir... Thumbs Up

Post #368792 25th Jan 2016 10:06am
martincfreeman

Location: Flatlands of Lincolnshire (but the Kerbs are pretty high!)

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Silicon Silver

Mmm, interesting, i went out with the service manager at another dealer today and his instant response was that it sounded very much like tire noise as he has heard it on the RR Sport with 22" wheels.

We took a RRS out with 22's and sure enough, they do seem to produce a very similar droning although onky at higher speeds.

I'm in a dilema now, do I push for the wheels to be swapped for 21" and lose the fantasic look (the wife loves them) or do I keep the 22" and buy a pair of ear defenders...

As the service manager says, it is the kind of noise that many people woiuldnt pick up, fair point, I do have very sensitive hearing.

can I de-tune my ears from the sound?

My only concern, still, is that on the landrover site, it says that the 22" wheels can be noisy on "certain road surfaces" and the noise I get is on ALL road surfaces!

Now... where is that number for the BMW dealer...

Post #368871 25th Jan 2016 6:26pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

My view is 20"s don't look so good but give a great drive but 22" look ace but don't give such a quality drive. For me the answer is a nice set of 21"s as for me the car is all about the ride quality and that "feeling ".

Post #368873 25th Jan 2016 6:43pm
caymanblack

The only thing to do is be cheeky and ask to try the 21" on your car and then if noise is no longer there buy them!
I,m amazed its that bad though.

Post #368881 25th Jan 2016 7:21pm
Nick Ground

Alternatively you will tune out the noise in about 6 months. A bit like living next to the airport runway. Is there a cheaper deal to be done getting Conti-silent tyres swapped onto your wheels? 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS

Post #368905 25th Jan 2016 10:35pm
caymanblack

What wheels have you got on the SC Nick, ? are they silent?

Post #368952 26th Jan 2016 11:17am
Nick Ground

I'll need to check later. 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS

Post #368953 26th Jan 2016 11:34am
martincfreeman

Location: Flatlands of Lincolnshire (but the Kerbs are pretty high!)

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Silicon Silver

Funnily enough, they are the conti silent tires..... Big Cry

To make matters worse, it has just come up with a service reminder!!! the car is only 4 months old with circa 3000 miles on the clock!!! Doh..

Phoned the dealer on Monday to complain, they said they would talk to the sales team??!! and would call me back... nothing... called again yesterday, they said they would call me back... nothing...

I am starting to get a little perturbed... I am also waiting for a call from LR Customer services for an update on the whole noise thing so may mention the "silence of the Dealers" to them!

Grrrr

Post #369174 28th Jan 2016 12:15pm
Brid91

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Corris Grey

Hi. Was there any resolution to this issue. I have 21’s and appear to have a similar problem

Post #515344 14th May 2019 7:20pm
dexion7

2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Alaska White

surprised they haven't got a tyre noise cancelling system developed yet!

Post #515410 15th May 2019 11:44am
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Try rotating the tyres. I had a noise from my Coopers. It sounded like a bearing noise. Moving the front wheels to diagonally opposite rear positions fixed the noise for me. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #521552 12th Jul 2019 8:57am
Bronco Jr

United Kingdom 

I've just got my self a 3L and this very lunch time notived that it had a drone on tickover, so its deninatly the engine, I did have it on max AC so the revs rose a bit but its not something I experienced with my 3.0D XF.

I'm really interested how yours is resolved......

Post #522764 25th Jul 2019 3:55pm
Montys 4x4

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey
Tyres and Oil Dillution causing early oil change request.

martincfreeman wrote:
Funnily enough, they are the conti silent tires..... Big Cry

To make matters worse, it has just come up with a service reminder!!! the car is only 4 months old with circa 3000 miles on the clock!!! Doh..

Phoned the dealer on Monday to complain, they said they would talk to the sales team??!! and would call me back... nothing... called again yesterday, they said they would call me back... nothing...

I am starting to get a little perturbed... I am also waiting for a call from LR Customer services for an update on the whole noise thing so may mention the "silence of the Dealers" to them!

Grrrr

Hi, sounds like you have the Conti drone sold a RR Evoque after 8 months for various reasons, Conti tyre noise and aquaplaning being one of them. Hated the Continentals on my L322 Westminster TDV8 also. I have the Pirelli all season Scorpion Verde 21" these have been superb on my Ranger Rover I've just hit 30K miles in 18 months so two winters one with lots of snow these just work and I have about 3 to 4mm left all round but will replace whatever before the next winter.

Oil dilution and early oil service requests a known 3.0 TDV6 issue but one JLR won't admit to. they produced a software update for the engine emission control last September I provided a report on the issue and LR downloaded my ECU after trying to tell me it was my driving style Bull and poppycock it was the Euro 6 plus mods LR brought in to cheat the system in light of VW problems. I was having the oil service message come up every 4 to 5 thousand miles although the first two were done on grace and favour the third I paid and had the vehicle serviced early. In October they installed the software update and also a 2 hour infotainment new load to get rid of the screen freezing on occasions a year on and 16,000 miles it just called up the next service. Marshall land rover Peterborough were the guys who eventually sorted it after marshall Land Rover Bedford and Ipswich didn't get to the bottom of the issue.. Bentley fit Pirelli to all their new cars including the 206 mph versions and that's good enough for me.

Paul Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #523199 29th Jul 2019 3:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12