Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > LPG > Low Lpg range
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Angus.myers

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Low Lpg range

Hello, my first post here. Just got my first FFRR last week. Can anyone advise if this is normal or what could be a cause but from a full fill up of LPG 93ltr tank I'm only getting 115miles before it's completely empty.

Post #384085 27th Apr 2016 2:09pm
RP123

Scotland 2006 Range Rover HSE Td6 Bonatti Grey

Gosh that's not good.. Simple maths - 93 ltrs = 20 gallons , 115 miles / 20 = 6 mpg.

Something is very wrong , LPG does not give a big a 'bang' as petrol so does use a bit more. (I worked on a 20% deduction from my petrol figures) ..

What does your car do on petrol? Try a tank an see what that gives . Some of the petrol heads on here should give a more acurate figure for both .

If its bad on both or just LPG at leat you can start narrowing it down on where to look.

Cheers

Simon

Post #384086 27th Apr 2016 2:19pm
blackstoun

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Its worth noting that 20% of your LPG tank capacity is not usable . e.g. a 100L tanks has only 80l usable
I believe that what you can get into the tank may vary with temperature to more on hot days less on cold ones.

My 4.2 SC runs on petrol right now, but I have previously had 2 lpg converted cars, but they had 4 cylinder 2 litre engines, so don't really compare to the Range rover V8, However I got 350 miles on a 100l LPG tank in both. that was usually on a steady speed motorway trip from Glasgow to Bristol which is constant motorway all the way. (M8, M74, M6, M4 M32)

As the man said , if all is well with the system you should be getting mileage of about 20% less that petrol
so even at say 20MPG on petrol your lpg tank should give you about 250 miles maybe more depending on your driving style

Post #384091 27th Apr 2016 2:42pm
tb10

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

As per what Blackstoun, above, says, there should be approximately 68 - 71 litres of LPG in the tank but 115 miles from a tank is not good. I've been running LPG for over a decade on my cars and I run a 4.4 at the moment and also a 1.4 Astra on LPG. Whilst it's fair to say I'm slightly disappointed with the MPG I've got generally from the FFRR, I've had extremes of 135 miles to 280 miles from my tank (compared to 500+ miles from 68 litres in the Astra). On average its giving about 200 miles but I have recently changed all 8 injectors for smaller flow units to test them but have retuned the system as well. I am working with an LPG installer in Solihull (Solihull Autogas) to see what the best setup is. He has an M62 powered 5 Series which gets 300 miles from 60 lites so the shape and the weight of the FFRR must be a serious factor. I am also in the process of changing all four lambda sensors for brand new bosch units to see if they are a cause of poor economy as the sensors are a replacement / service item. All of the spark plugs are also LPG plugs sourced from Oilman on this forum.

Therefore there are a number of things you need to check:

1. Air Flow meter in good order?
2. Spark plugs? When was the last service?
3. When was the last service of the LPG system
4. Are the engine breather pipes in good order?
5. Check that there are no air leaks on the engine
6. Are there or can you smell any gas in or around the car when the car is running? (To check for leaks on the injectors put a small amount of washing up liquid into a old bottle, add a bit of water, and then shake it and put the foam onto the injector points on the anifold and if it bubbles up, there's a leak)

If all of the above is ok then there could be the possibility of valve seat recession. You don't say what model of FFRR you have (obviously petrol) but valve seat recession is rare on the 4.4 BMW but more likely on the Jag engines so you could get the head tested as if the valves are stuck open then perfomance will suffer and so too will economy. I had this with a previous car and I imported special valves from Germany, rebuilt the head and it was fine thereafter.

You can see a list of 'problem' cars here http://www.amrautos.co.uk/database_problem_cars.pdf

I hope this helps?

Kind regards

John

Post #384106 27th Apr 2016 4:04pm
SoggyBottoms

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue Supercharged Zambezi Silver

I have a 100ltr tank of which 80ltr is available and I get around 215 miles per 80ltr

Post #384107 27th Apr 2016 4:05pm
Angus.myers

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Hey thanks for all the replies so far, I've just realised that it flashing isn't empty its reserve (sorry i'm new to this whole LPG business) its still flashing and I'm closer to 150miles now, is that any better. Its the BMW 4.4 and seems to have been well looked after in the past (bought from sir alan sugar so I'm hoping it was maintained well, it only has 70,000 on the clock). The check coolant message came up yesterday and i checked and it was empty in the tank could that have anything to do with it? I've topped it up and praying there isn't a serious leak somewhere...but thats an issue for another area of the forum :O

Once again thanks for all your help so far Smile

Post #384185 27th Apr 2016 11:50pm
tb10

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

Yes, that's much better mileage.

The tank level issue is interesting as it can either be calibrated electronically or manually and it can also be affected, rather oddly, by the choice of solenoid used to activate the cut off valve usually located in the black metal unit attached to the LPG tank. You will also get used to using mileage rather than the fuel guage to determine the fuel level as in my Astra, when the fuel guage starts flashing, I've got about 140 miles in the tank. It 'should' be graduated in 20% increments and even manually it isn't accurate. Finally, the cold weather will also affect the guage as the colder it is, the lower the LPG level will be and also, the colder it is, the more fuel you will get into the tank when you refill. Therefore try and fill up on a cold day!

Finally, this map http://www.filllpg.co.uk/ will help you locate the nearest LPG stations to you and is especially useful on a long journey outside your normal filling area. Check that the stations are open though as the map depends on user updates.

I hope this helps?

regards

John

Post #384216 28th Apr 2016 7:13am
steptoe

England 
Re: Low Lpg range

Angus.myers wrote:
Hello, my first post here. Just got my first FFRR last week. Can anyone advise if this is normal or what could be a cause but from a full fill up of LPG 93ltr tank I'm only getting 115miles before it's completely empty.

Same sized tank as my car - i get from 150 miles up to 270 on a long run, it really depends on the type of driving i'm doing.
I'm a fairly gentle driver but driving in london ruins the consumption.

Post #384251 28th Apr 2016 10:11am
ndg

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

It the three tanks we've done in our new one we're getting 220-230miles per tank. Thats a 68/69l fill on an 85l tank.

As has been said you can't rely on the LPG level indicator, they're notoriously unreliable! Use miles in combination with the estimated fuel consumption to gauge your range.

Post #384287 28th Apr 2016 2:02pm
steptoe

England 

I don't measure by the fuel light. I measure mileage from full to empty Mr. Green

Post #384305 28th Apr 2016 3:48pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

@Angus

I get around 240 miles on a tank usage of c. 70L.

I find a good tip is to zero your trip counter milometer every time you fill to the brim with LPG. I know that when it gets to the red indicator, I have c. 100 miles left.

If it is flashing on my STAG system, then it means 2 things:

1. tank is empty
2. It is switching back to petrol as it is being starved and therefore needs adjustment in its settings.

Thumbs Up

Post #384347 28th Apr 2016 6:11pm
steptoe

England 

had to fill up yesterday as i'd run out of LPG.

208 miles 71 litres with mostly london driving which is a bit better than i normally get in town.

Post #384718 1st May 2016 9:49am
Sleeper

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Just got back from filling up 40p per litre at the moment.
On a bit of a run last week (tank not empty) and done 239 miles and fill up with 74 litres.
Around 12p per mile ... Not complaining with that

Post #390187 4th Jun 2016 2:41pm
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Normally I get around 250 mls on 70 ltr highway and 220 in town. AjV8

Post #390225 4th Jun 2016 7:29pm
Frank Elson

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

As others have said, the led lights are inaccurate. The only accurate method is to fill the tank. zero your tripmeter, then run it until it changes over to petrol - forget the "low" indicator, let it actually change over.
I usually do this a couple of times on a new-to-me vehicle. You might be surprised as to how much it can differ as well, given different driving conditions.

And, again as has been mentioned above, make sure your system is serviced properly. My current L322 gave me 150 miles, barely, twice when I first got it. Went for a full service, needed new injectors (ouch!) and the first time out after that I got 220 miles... Best Cheers

Frank
---------
I !__[_]|\___
I ____|"_|"__|/
"(o)======(o)" Range Rover 4.4 Vogue (with LPG)

Post #391193 11th Jun 2016 9:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>