Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > fuel additives
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Carries more weight (for me) than a bunch of personal opinions based on nothing more than a gut feeling. Remind me, who makes 2SO? Oh yes, an O+G company. They have no axe to grind either way.

Post #390241 5th Jun 2016 8:51am
wealy

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Luxor

My twopenneth worth. I have a kangoo van that I have had from new and it's now done over 200 k

It's only ever had supermarket fuel mostly Morrison's in it. I drive it hard and I guess anyone else that has driven it over the last ten years has also been heavy on the right foot.
I've never put anything other than fuel in the tank. Guess what never had a problem. Same injectors pump etc.

I use a courier company that run Mercedes sprinters and that have a five year old one that has now done 500k - it's had a couple of clutches but nothing major engine wise and guess what - the driver only puts Morrison's fuel in due to the points!!

Work it out? The emporers new clothes comes to mind...........or was it snake oil?

Would I put any kind of additive in my sdv8 with a DPF. No way.....

Just my 2p

Last edited by wealy on 6th Jun 2016 8:56am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #390243 5th Jun 2016 9:02am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Mikey wrote:
wayneg wrote:
I would not but two stoke oil in any vehicle I want to keep....http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-i...-study.php

Report was compiled by Adrian Velaers, of Sasol Energy Technology. A company with large interests in commercial oil + gas

Show me a fully independent report, not subsidised by an O+G company Wink

FWIW, I run it in my D3, Td5 Defender and the wife's FL2, as well as a few previous cars. Every one has run smoother, quieter and improved fuel economy by a small amount, as well as produced less smoke. And, with current ULSD, any additional lubrication going back into the fuel system can only be a good thing Thumbs Up

I would be very careful about calling out the validity of this study ,the methodology is well laid out for anyone wishing to repeat it and it is cited correctly for all references . yes he works in the O+G industry but as an expert where else would he work other than academic research and as I have said his methodology seams sound . Anecdotal evidence as we have heard from many sources on this and many other matters are not evidence of anything just someone who can tell a story . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #390245 5th Jun 2016 9:36am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

wealy wrote:
it's had a couple of couches but nothing major engine wise

Oh, so it's a passion wagon then Laughing Clutches I guess, hell I could live with that.

wealy wrote:
Would I put any kind of additive in my sdv8 with a DPF. No way.....

Oh I would. I'd add some spark plugs and a supercharger. Thumbs Up

Joking aside though, I think you're on the money there. I don't put anything except diesel in my Skoda (work hack) and it's turned 200k without anything beyond routine maintenance. To be honest it still feels as it if would do it all again. No black smoke, no oil consumption, just a sweet drive which still gives over 50mpg average. Does need a clutch though, well actually it needs an autobox but there we go.

Post #390249 5th Jun 2016 9:53am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

axle wrote:
Mikey wrote:
wayneg wrote:
I would not but two stoke oil in any vehicle I want to keep....http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oil-i...-study.php

Report was compiled by Adrian Velaers, of Sasol Energy Technology. A company with large interests in commercial oil + gas

Show me a fully independent report, not subsidised by an O+G company Wink

FWIW, I run it in my D3, Td5 Defender and the wife's FL2, as well as a few previous cars. Every one has run smoother, quieter and improved fuel economy by a small amount, as well as produced less smoke. And, with current ULSD, any additional lubrication going back into the fuel system can only be a good thing Thumbs Up

I would be very careful about calling out the validity of this study ,the methodology is well laid out for anyone wishing to repeat it and it is cited correctly for all references . yes he works in the O+G industry but as an expert where else would he work other than academic research and as I have said his methodology seams sound . Anecdotal evidence as we have heard from many sources on this and many other matters are not evidence of anything just someone who can tell a story .

I disagree. While the methodolody may be perfectly clear and correct, it is only a single study, on a single type of engine. Anecdotal evidence may be just that, but it is also from hundreds of people over hundreds of miles and in many different engines, so it is every bit as valid as evidence. Clear reductions in fuel consumption and lack of any issues are pretty clear cut matters not just an opinionated story, and most people are sceptics when they first try it. I don't see people falling over themselves to state that 2SO has wrecked their engine either - only people that think it will and so don't use it.

From a purely logical perspective, I believe that, rightly or wrongly, the anecdotal evidence carries much more weight. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #390255 5th Jun 2016 11:13am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Whilst everyone is entitled to there opinions if something can be asserted without evidence then there is no evidence at all .The reason so many pseudo science whack jobs like the anti-vaccine or anti GMO activists get momentum is by people asserting their opinions as fact , I'm not saying that report is right or wrong I'm saying it is the only evidence presented and its source is immaterial to its validity, that is all . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #390344 6th Jun 2016 5:54am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Yes, but where do you get the opinion from? There are enough people, myself included, that have seen clear improvements in fuel economy over many miles. Just because it isn't in a controlled environment and tested scientifically doesn't mean that it's not evidence when observed on such a scale. It should not be considered conclusive, but it is still evidence to be weighed up. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #390362 6th Jun 2016 8:50am
SNR

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

My other vehicle is a 1995 F350 Powerstroke diesel on 35 inch tires, I add one quart of two stroke oil to both tanks every time I fuel up and have for the last 6 years. My truck runs much smoother, starts faster, doesn't smoke and my exhaust gas temps stay lower. I'm not trying to join a debate, just give my results and state that it does work. 20 mpg in a truck that weighs almost 8000lbs is all the proof I need.

Post #390479 7th Jun 2016 2:21am
wealy

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Luxor

I guess they hadn't invented DPF in 1995 so that would be OK.

Post #390503 7th Jun 2016 9:33am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

DPF vehicles need JASO FC spec or better. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #390507 7th Jun 2016 9:49am
SNR

United States 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Wealy, right you are. That is most of the reason for the two stroke oil in the fuel. When they "cleaned up" the diesel fuel they stripped out most of the lubricants. Again, not trying to get into a debate. But, by adding the oil you replace some of those lubricants and because two stroke oil is ashless, it burns very well and does not create residual problems like gumming up the turbo or increase coking. Newer diesels(2007+ in the US) do not have any of these problems and yes they must use a DPF.

Post #390585 7th Jun 2016 6:41pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Thread resus.

Has anyone used LiquiMoly diesel purge on a 3.6 tdv8? if yes any details on technique? thanks. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #510395 31st Mar 2019 12:35pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I have used it on my Td6. After becoming very unsure where to connect the hoses I just got a new fuel filter, filled it up with the product and the run the engine on tick-over as required. I am sure you could do the same with the TDV8 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #510470 1st Apr 2019 3:32am
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Hi everyone, sorry to resurrect an old thread, not sure if it's verboten to start a new thread on here for an old topic - or not...

Anyway, I've recently bought an L322 3.6 TDV8 knowing it had fuelling issues and some charge air leaks - which are now sorted.
Cylinder balance is fine and it runs well but smokes like a tramp steamer when the throttle is applied 'enthusiastically'...

I'm not usually a fan of fuel & oil treatments, mainly due to their prohibition from use by the vehicle manufacturers themselves (except PSA, but only in very specific circumstances) but in this case, a) it's not a customers vehicle and b) it appears to have had long-standing fuel & charge air issues so might need a bit of help cleaning it's act up.
I've done a bit of research and 'Valvoline VPS HD Diesel System Complete' seems to be a product that would cover most of the requirements, has anyone used it? if so, did it work as expected or is it just a bit of snake oil that a dash of Kerosene in the tank would do just as well?

Post #631873 16th May 2022 7:06pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

In the absence of any better ideas, I put 1 litre of Kero into the tank which had ~10 litres in it, added 200ml of Cetane booster and went for a steady 40 mile drive (10 mile loops on a dual carriageway), brimmed the tank, another 20 miles at a steady 60mph but in one gear lower than 'D', as before. Result was no eye-watering stink, no black smoke on acceleration and better throttle response. Emissions check was well below the threshold for the MY.

Post #633651 3rd Jun 2022 10:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>