Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Why I won't be posting on Disco3.co.uk any more

Edited. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #390510 7th Jun 2016 10:24am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

I believe I have a right of reply, my forum and its members (and by implication, my administration) are coming in for heavy criticism.

This is the thread: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic144544.html

6-and-half pages in 6 weeks and plenty of interest - I think that's pretty good going.

Admittedly the whole forum has not been hanging on every word and modification you've made, but that is forums for you. It is a wide and varied mix of people who have differing interests, tastes and applications for their vehicles.

It is also now finally summer(ish), the forums are generally quieter than in the winter.

Have a look on DISCO3/4 and you can find plenty of people who modify - for example: detangoing, fitting larger wheels, black badges, facelifts, rear lamps - so to claim everyone is a mud plugging outdoors type is utterly wrong.

You will also see people using their cars for everything. Family cars, caravanning tug, off roading, skiing, expeditions, kayaking, cycling, car transporter, rally support, etc etc. Hardly all "up a mountain".

By questioning and criticising the forum and why the members weren't replying to you enough (with your "tumbleweed" comment) did you not expect some comments in reply?

The overwhelming majority forum members are polite and courteous, and nice enough not to comment if something isn't their particular taste or interest.

You had one negative comment, which you replied to and didn't report for some reason, despite full knowledge of the reporting system as you have been a moderator.

There was also one light hearted reply. You have selectively quoted that second comment. I will quote it in full:

Quote:
Get it covered in mud and then we'll be interested. Laughing Thumbs Up

Please note the emoticons. This was not spiteful.

I feel you entered the forum with a chip on your shoulder about Discovery owners (are we beneath you?). You seem to have seeked to have that attitude reinforced and picked out ONE negative comment and a bad experience with a D3 seller (and there is an explanation/background there) and extrapolated that to now start rubbishing my forum, its members and Discovery owners in general.

Post #390519 7th Jun 2016 11:22am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Just to add, Adam and I have exchanged PMs over that comment and cleared up the misunderstanding. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #390523 7th Jun 2016 11:27am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

Shocked ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #390529 7th Jun 2016 11:58am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Martin and I have exchanged PMs on this subject and I sincerely hope it is put to bed. Sadly I am no longer a Mod for this forum.

I shan't be commenting any further. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #390531 7th Jun 2016 12:10pm
forever

United Kingdom 

TBH, total overreaction Smile, i am also on all three forums, having a RR, D4 and Defender.. Never had an issue, i would have seen it as light hearted banter, but then i am not a polisher Rolling with laughter

Post #390532 7th Jun 2016 12:47pm
wanderer

2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

I can understand why the comment may have rattled you, but I'm sure it was tongue in cheek. Perhaps just landed on your screen on a bad day?

Seems daft to cut yourself off from such a wealth of Disco related experience?

Have a rethink ...

Post #390543 7th Jun 2016 2:01pm
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I can see both sides to this.

This remark, "thats because no one is as anal as you are over cleaning your car FFS" could well be a joke but as soon as this one piles on immediately after with, "well said, Steve" it looks less like a joke and more of a dig, tbh.

Don't take their behaviour to heart; just avoid them. Or block their comments (if you can) but I wouldn't let one small contratante spoil what has obviously otherwise been an enjoyable experience.

Post #390546 7th Jun 2016 2:30pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Think you are just jumping the gun Adam .... just coz of a smartarse remark , being on forums as much as you have really surprised you let it get to you ...

On here i have said the odd stinging remark to Stan but he's wee enough and ugly enough to brush it off ... 😄😄👍

And as for giving up being a Mod maybe its for the best coz you were about as much use as a fart in a spacesuit 😄😄😄😄

In jest i type Adam 👍👍👍

Post #390552 7th Jun 2016 3:15pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Joke or otherwise I don't think throwing in the towel is gonna achieve much. That said I don't know (nor want to know) what else has gone on.

Submitting on any forum is a bit like texting, it can sometimes come across wrong / bad and I think the 'well said' comment is a bit of a school boy error.

Personally I wouldn't deprive myself of a forums' resource on the back of one or two simple comments however they were meant. If the comments were a joke and I read it wrong my bad, move on - if the comments were poisonous - 'uckem I don't really care they are probably just jealous of something or whatever. Thumbs Up 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #390582 7th Jun 2016 5:42pm
JOKER

Scotland 

^👍👍

Post #390583 7th Jun 2016 6:16pm
Declan303

Ireland 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

If it's any consolation, when I have my Defender Hat on, I take the Censored out of Discovery owners all the time. They get a bit of dust on them and they call it muddy. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Declan
2003 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8
97 Defender 90 300 TDi

Post #390666 8th Jun 2016 12:33am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

It's uplifting when one gets adulation for your car of choice on any forum. It can become rather addictive, but not everyone will agree and that's just life.

I rarely post about my own cars for that reason. I like them and that's all that matters.

I've found that no matter what the make or model or year, detailing is a topic that incites a lot of polarised opinion.

Retreat. Go quiet for a bit. Re-energise yourself. Reappear. For all the negative, there is an equal amount of positive, but it's invariably harder to see and for others to admit. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #390676 8th Jun 2016 6:24am
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I just read both forum threads and am a member on both FFRR and D3. Banter is banter....

I think the forums are both as bad and good as each other. The FFRR forum was way more difficult to get into with many either knowing each other through meetings, repairs or simply the length of time of ownership. There was, for me, an air of opulence and a touch of arrogance too in some posts with a hint of "my bank balance is bigger than yours"....all that said, it's a nice forum and a good bit of banter - plus some good advice and the obvious mix of disagreement.

The D3 chaps are a bit more brutal on the banter and when I started on there back in 2005 I would say that there were some pure offroaders, mates of well known offroad experts and the inevitible anti-caravan mob. Again once your in it's perfectly normal and it took me far less time than on here.

It makes me chuckle even now when I see questions on here such as "my 5 car garage just isnt large enough at our second house, how do you manage as I simply cant get either of my FF's in place with the bentley and ferrari parked".....now compare that too a typical question on D3..."I have broken a bracket, does anyone know a welder in Stockport"

I have been chuckled at on both for being a tin tenter.....and am now surely a peasant only having the "poorer" 3.6

Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #390759 8th Jun 2016 2:31pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

^ And a Honda Jazz ^ Nick Laughing Laughing Laughing Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #390765 8th Jun 2016 2:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>