Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Another nail in the diesel coffin.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green
Another nail in the diesel coffin.

I'm pretty sure that driving a diesel will become either more expensive or face bans in certain areas soon or both!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36589106 MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #392732 23rd Jun 2016 7:28am
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

The article (which I think is misleading) quotes:

The Emissions Analytics data found the average Euro 5 vehicle was 3.6 times over the legal limit for poisonous Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) when it was above 18C. But that increased to 4.6 times over the limit, when the air temperature dropped.

The latest generation of Euro 6 cars, on sale from September last year, were better, he added.
They averaged 2.9 times the limit above 18C, rising to 4.2 times the limit at lower temperatures, but the figures were skewed by three especially bad performers, Mr Molden said, although he refused to name those cars.

Surely, if that were true the cars would have been illegal to sell in the EU.... Shocked 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #392764 23rd Jun 2016 12:37pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Never going to happen - think HGV and the consequences 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #392812 23rd Jun 2016 8:23pm
Olly-Ibiza

England 

They have petrol hgv in the states.

Post #392821 23rd Jun 2016 9:24pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

And? 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #392823 23rd Jun 2016 9:39pm
Fretless

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Baltic Blue

...and another stealth tax heading our way - in France, the politicians would be swinging from lamp posts - just sayin' Very Happy The best 4.4 x far

Post #392826 23rd Jun 2016 10:00pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

You don't have to propose any new stealth measures, just tax the fuel, as per usual, and compensate the VED duty. The city LEZ's takes care of themselves..
But, we are under EU instruction,

Until tomorrow's decision.

Post #392827 23rd Jun 2016 10:13pm
Fretless

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Baltic Blue

Johnboy, no matter who is pulling the strings come tomorrow, back-benchers of all species will be jumping on the anti-diesel bandwagon, sticking their little fat heads over the parapet, jumping on the latest bandwagon in an effort to boost their " popularity ratings ". In the course of all this, guess who's gonna get bent over...?
2011 TDV8 for sale, shortly... just kidding !

Hang 'em high Whistle The best 4.4 x far

Post #392834 23rd Jun 2016 10:35pm
47p2

Scotland 

Don't understand why all the fuss about diesel engines!!!

Click Whistle Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #392835 23rd Jun 2016 11:02pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

priceless Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #392836 23rd Jun 2016 11:05pm
ebajema

I think it is clear that diesel is just not as clean as it has been sold to us again and again by not only the car manufacturers but also the governments and it is now coming back to bite them so they need to be seen to act, whether they are in the EU or not I might add. UK traffic would see restrictions driving into Europe unless they comply with EU regulations so the impact on the goods traffic (export) will be there anyway or would you be happy to have the more polluting trucks stay in the UK and only the cleaner ones in Europe ?? Besides what about the car manufacturing industry in the UK, they need to still comply with Euro regulations if they want to sell to Europe and the rest of the export markets in the world are also catching on on emission regulations.

Think about the amount of pre Euro 6 cars on the road and what they are doing to the environment and health.

I firmly believe that there should be a lot more action towards getting rid of fossil fuel usage for these and other reasons and I think this sort of information is going to help with that.

The technology is there to create EVs, it just needs the political will to push it through. Whether we like it or not, fossil fuel is on its way out and only the timeline can be influenced, not the eventual outcome. It won't be long before EV conversions of fossil fuel cars/trucks/busses becomes a possibility as well and that can have a big impact if funded properly Smile. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #392845 24th Jun 2016 2:32am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Olly-Ibiza wrote:
They have petrol hgv in the states.

No they don't , 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #392866 24th Jun 2016 9:31am
Olly-Ibiza

England 

My mate has a rigid body truck with a petrol engine in it, il get some pictures for you

Post #392885 24th Jun 2016 12:18pm
ebajema

My point of this link is that diesel is getting knock on knock and I think it will speed up the demise of the use of it as fuel for most vehicles due to the health concerns. Even if petrol and LPG are less polluting, it still doesn't make them a good alternative, just a less bad one.

Ultimately the fossil fuel era is coming to an end in the not too distant future and I think the problems with diesel related pollution and the VW scandal will only increase the speed of the demise of diesel.

Although I'd hate to see my FFRR 5.0SC V8 being replaced by a EV drivetrain, I think it is inevitable (assuming I will still own it when that happens, as I do plan to hang onto it for a long time) though for all fossil fuel engines.

Recently I read an article of a US company getting a contract for replacing the fossil fuel drive trains in NZ public busses with a complete EV drive train. In Holland a company converting trucks to full EV is doing really well (Heineken is one of the users by the way). I think it is a matter of time before that starts picking up steam (I am trying to get funding for doing the same for normal cars/SUVs). It is a logical step in the transfer from fossil fuels to renewable as much as it was logical to go from horse to steam to oil. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #392894 24th Jun 2016 1:20pm
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

There is no question that diesel has reached its peak and we will see far more petrol engines taking over,am sure that will not transfer to trucks.Electric is certainly going to make an impact in years to come but fossil fuels are not going to disappear for many years and oil giants certainly are not going to hand everything over to the greens.You may also know that the oil companies own many patents that they could bring effeciencies but they don't want to use them do they !

Post #392946 24th Jun 2016 10:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1