Home > Technical (L322) > Is it the FSR Failing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wylie66

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver
Is it the FSR Failing

Hello all

I have done some searching but at the moment can't find anything conclusive.

My newly acquired FFRR an 03 V8 Vogue blows hot air through the any vent despite what ever temperature is set, the only way to get AC cold air is to using the middle dash vents set to cold on the independent mixture wheel.

I have seen posts about failing FSR's causing erratic issues and wondered if this is a good place to start.

Thanks

John 2003 V8 Vogue in Silver

Post #386792 13th May 2016 6:40am
ndg

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Doesn't sound like FSR, sounds like our car which is also recently acquired. A quick check showed it had no gas in the AC system, so I'd look there or the mixing flap actuators.

Post #386795 13th May 2016 7:39am
Wylie66

Thanks for the prompt reply, it definitely isn't the AC Gas as this has been recently done and the centre vents blow icy cold when set to cold on the mixture wheel.

I will look into the mixing flap actuators 2003 V8 Vogue in Silver

Post #386796 13th May 2016 7:58am
Rilla

Isle Of Man 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Santorini Black

I have this issue aswell, looked thro the manual to make sure it wasnt a button i needed to press buty cant find anything to try and cure the issue. Its like the temp setting dials serve no purpose, and the only way to adjust temp is on the centre dial between the 2 vents.

Any one got a clue what causes this?

Post #387011 14th May 2016 9:29am
Wylie66

To clarify things further:-

Whatever temperature setting both dials are set too, windscreen and floor vents blow very hot air. The relevant direction flaps are working.

The auto function works fine, but just pumps out hot air from the windscreen or footwell vents.

The face vents on the dash will all blow the appropriate temperature as governed by the mixture wheel on the center vents, i.e AC cold on the 3 blue dots and very hot on the 3 red dots, the temperature being blended appropriately at all points in between.

So could this be a failed/failing Final Stage Resistor? Does this govern blend flap and so the temperature being delivered?

Is there a self diagnosis procedure that will indicate faults, or do i need to get the HVAC codes read?

Thanks 2003 V8 Vogue in Silver

Post #387016 14th May 2016 9:40am
mr_spock

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I think the FSR is only controlling the fan speed not the blend. I can think of 3 causes:

1. A blend motor issue. Since the face vent blend control is just a cable connected to the control wheel. that's not related.
2. ECU issue. The ECU attempts to auto-calibrate the blend flaps every 20 seconds when on full hot or cold. Maybe it thinks it's on full hot all the time
3. K bus issue - see below.

We can eliminate the cabin temp sensor. If that's saying the cabin is cold, the ECU will assume the temp is 24 degrees.

From RAVE:

Five electrical connectors provide the interface between the ATC ECU and the vehicle/heater assembly wiring. Both the low and high line systems receive ambient temperature, engine coolant temperature, engine speed and vehicle speed inputs in K bus messages from the instrument pack. If the K bus messages are missing or faulty, the ATC ECU adopts the following default values:
l Ambient temperature = 0 °C (32 °F)
l Engine coolant temperature = 80 °C (176 °F)
l Engine speed = 800 rev/min
l Vehicle speed = zero.
If a fault develops in the input from the temperature selector switch on the control panel, the ATC ECU adopts a default
value of 24 °C (75 °F).

I'm just up the A1 from you if you want the codes read.

Post #387027 14th May 2016 10:20am
Wylie66

Thank you Mr Spock, I have sent you a PM regarding codes 2003 V8 Vogue in Silver

Post #387038 14th May 2016 10:58am
Rilla

Did you get an answer to this at all?, mine is still the same, and also discovered in no matter what temp is selected on any of the climate controls (front and rear) the rear compartment only gets hot air. REALLY hot air.

The only sort of temp control I seem to be able to use the little dial between the 2 centre vents below the screen, but this only governs the air temp from those two vents not footwell or screen vents, they just blow hot what ever lol. 2009 Westminster. Mariana black with ivory leather.

Post #401506 21st Aug 2016 9:28pm
Wylie66

Hi Rilla

I haven't got any further either, apparently a common fault is the water heater valves seizing(Gleaned from a beemer forum), and it certainly was a fault code so have replaced that.

I have hard reset the car, i.e. disconnect battery for at least 30 minutes to reset everything but it has made no difference.

I think the reason we get cold air on the face vents is because it is a mechanical connection rather than controlled by the HVAC ecu.

Could really do with someone who has a more in depth code reader and knowledge of the HVAC systems to take a look 2003 V8 Vogue in Silver

Post #401560 22nd Aug 2016 2:56pm
Rilla

Bummer.

I shall continue hitting it with a hammer then. Should I find anything out, other than the hammer technique, I will return.

Good luck! 2009 Westminster. Mariana black with ivory leather.

Post #401572 22nd Aug 2016 3:58pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

There is one line in Rave that I think is worth a check...

5 minute job to swap the control panels with a known good one... maybe if you have someone nearby you could try a swap... Thumbs Up :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #401677 23rd Aug 2016 12:50pm
Rilla

OK thanks for the info. I can try that this week as I have a friend with a working one I can swap and test.

Only thing that I can think that discredits that idea is the rear climate is goosed too on mine. Only getting hot (very hot) air to the rear, tho I guess both control units (front and rear) may be shot? 2009 Westminster. Mariana black with ivory leather.

Post #401679 23rd Aug 2016 1:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1