Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Starlight headliner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
En Vogue

Germany 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
Starlight headliner

Being a huge fan of Rolls Royces, apart from my beloved Ranges, I am playing with the idea of fitting a starlight headliner to my ī12 Vogue. It would look amazing in my opinion. Since I was also thinking about changing it to suede, why not do both at the same time?

I have checked on the internet and there is an American company which supplies a kit and apparently also the modified headliner itself, but for a horrendous price. There has to be a way of installing this without spending a fortune. Now, I am aware that it involves a huge amount of work, but if I am replacing the headliner anyway, it shouldnīt be that much of a hassle....

http://www.starlighthq.com

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-Range-R...933?_ul=BR

Does anyone of you have any experience with this? Thanks in advance for your help. Instagram @l322passion

Post #446994 7th Aug 2017 8:23pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

As you will have the headliner out anyway, it makes some kind of sense Evil or Very Mad

Maybe something like this kit ?

Post #447003 7th Aug 2017 8:42pm
rodp

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Is it just led's stuck in the headlining (but probably stuck in nicely) ?

Post #447017 7th Aug 2017 10:57pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I saw it on the "inside Rolls Royce" Channel 4 documentary.

It looks great, you should do it!

Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #447019 7th Aug 2017 11:05pm
rodp

Ha ha, that most definitely isn't for me ! Looks like a drug dealers car. Rolling with laughter

Everyone to their own though Thumbs Up

Post #447077 8th Aug 2017 5:54pm
Freddie The Fish

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover SE 4.4 V8 Fuji White

Sure you could do something with a black headliner a bundle of fibre optics and some patience... poke a fibre through, pull back till it's flush and hot glue it..

Post #447107 8th Aug 2017 7:44pm
En Vogue

Have gathered some information about how this process is done. There is actually a video of Rolls Royce producing the headliner at their Goodwood Plant.

https://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/en-GB...stars.html

Apparently, the receiver (for the controller) should be positioned in the middle of the car, so that the cables reach both ends. What I find very interesting is that in the pictures of the Rolls Royce website, you can appreciate a pattern of holes on both sides of the headliner. One being the perforated leather itself, the other one a pre established design scheme. It should not be a problem to install this on a suede headliner, am I right? Would the outcome be different to one made of leather?

The LEDs are hot glued so that they do not move around. An interesting part for me is that somehow in the Rolls Royce ceiling, the LEDs appear to have a different size (?) or is it just that some LEDs are being illuminated more/dimmed than others? That makes the whole thing more special and elegant. I am not so keen on different colours or flashing mods, but more on getting that white coloured (or even the greenish colour of the Range interior) Rolls Royce look, if possible with a constellation in the design.

Thanks Alistair, gonna_go_double_r and Freddie the Fish for the video and for the useful information. That kit could be a start.

For now, I will be on holiday, but I am very interested in installing this modification. An update will come in due time.

Also thanks to rodp for your useful contribution, thank God not all of us have the same taste. Thumbs Up Instagram @l322passion

Post #447402 10th Aug 2017 6:20pm
rodp

If you look at the video they're not led's, it's fibre optics. I would imagine they just use different size fibres for different size "stars".
Ref the perforations, isn't the operative at the start actually perforating the head lining with a tool? If you want to find out anything about led's then go here http://nightvisionforumuk.com/search.php?search_id=newposts and join. Nothing to do with headlinings but a lot of knowledge about various led's, sizes, bin numbers, power sources.
Some very very clever folk on there. Join the forum, ask your questions. I would imagine your project would create a bit of interest. The humour can be a little brutal at times but it's all in jest. Thumbs Up

And yes, it's good folk are different, although some have "odd tastes" Whistle

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #447410 10th Aug 2017 6:52pm
En Vogue

Thank you very much rodp for the useful information!! Definitely will look into that!!

Regarding the perforations, yes, they perforate the headlining with a tool, but I think that these tiny holes are aligned exactly with the perforated leather. If you pause the video at 0:04 you can see that the holes are already there before she even perforates them. The distance between holes seems also quite uniform, so I assume she is only "opening" that part for the fibers to pass through. So if choosing a perforated leather headliner one would have to align the design with the pattern of the perforations, while when choosing a suede headliner one would not be bound to that pattern.

You know that we Germans donīt have a sense of humour Wink Thumbs Up it is all about work work work Evil or Very Mad Instagram @l322passion

Post #447425 10th Aug 2017 8:03pm
Freddie The Fish

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover SE 4.4 V8 Fuji White

If you search for "star fibre optics" on eBay there are a few kits, 12 volt so should be easy...

Post #447427 10th Aug 2017 8:05pm
V8Noise

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

I thought I'd stumbled on that idiot Khan's site.

That is the tackiest thing I've seen in a long while and just proves that money is no substitute for class.

Yuck, yuck, yuck but everyone to their own. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350
2005 Disco HSE 2.7 oil burner

Post #447459 11th Aug 2017 6:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1