Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Interior door pull removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ahebron

New Zealand 
Interior door pull removal

Hi guys
It has been a while since I last posted.
My interior door pulls have puckered and the drivers one started to peel from the door panel.
I have both door cards off which was an easy task.
Unfortunately I am know stumped as how I removed the armrest/pull.
Undone both nuts but nothing comes away on the other side, there looks to be a few plastic rivets? that might be glued or melted back on them selves.
Do I have to somehow remove these to get the armrest pull off so I can get it recovered.
I dont want to go cutting things willy nilly without knowing how to put it back together.
I see you can buy new covers on Ebay but they dont list instructions even when asked

Thanks
Adrian VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #455567 29th Oct 2017 8:43am
ahebron

New Zealand 

I undid the two nuts on the back of the drivers door armrest/pull.
Then with my finger file I ground down the three melted plastic rivets that hold the cover for the door airbag and did the same with the other ones that held the armrest on.
With the armrest off we carefully peeled the old cover off trying our best not to remove the foam.
I was fortunate to swap a box of old 4ft colour correct daylight fluorescent tubes I had in garage for a suitable colour piece of vinyl to recover it with.
Now the fun bit.
Lay the armrest on the piece of vinyl and with a pencil draw around the major sides of the armrest. I then papertaped the areas we didnt want glue on
Next we sprayed the major sides and the masked off vinyl with Ados extra strength spray adhesive and left to tack off.
The worrying bit is when we laid the armrest onto the vinyl as this glue means it is very hard to adjust once contact has been made, luckily it all went well and with a bit of pulling the vinyl to stretch it around the corners we had the job underway.
Stored it in the hot water cupboard till the next day.
This is where it gets fiddly and tricky. Rhyna spent a good while trimming the vinyl in to shape so when we stuck it down we wouldn't be fighting excess material, she also cut it so we could do some tight corners neatly.
Rhyna decided that we would stick it down in 6 stages so it was spray a section wait for it to tack off than pull it into shape while pressing it down.
Once it was all covered she trimmed off the excess vinyl from the back.
Today I rebuilt the door panel using tek screws and penny washers to replace the melted plastic rivets with the exception of the airbag cover ones which I used an old soldering iron to melt them. I did this because I wasnt confident on the amount of plastic to put the crews into.
Door is all back together and I am rather pleased at our efforts.

The car will now be put up for sale as I have bought h a more practical vehicle which will serve me better for work and personal use, a 2014 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion.
I am really going to miss the RR and have been trying to mentally block it out. The problem is every time I hop into it I doubt myself.
I know now why when I bought it the first owners wife was in tears as I drove it away, no I didn't drive over her foot Wink . These vehicles get under you skin like no other I have owned.

Adrian VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #456987 12th Nov 2017 2:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1